10074f4.jpg

MICHIGAN COALITION FOR RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS
"Promoting safe use and ownership of firearms through
education, litigation, and legislation"
Since 1996

MCRGO Weekly E'News - Tips and Answers to FAQ's
1007542.jpg

Monday, Jan 22, 2007
Q: I work for a large international company. The company has a "no weapons on site" policy, which they extend to the parking lot. In light of the recent MCRGO email stating that "parking lots of pistol-free zones are not considered pistol-free zones", does my employer have an enforceable policy for someone with a CPL who secures their pistol in their vehicle while at work? If not, how would one approach them about the issue?

A: The pistol-free zones are established by statute. Essentially, they mean that your CPL is void in those areas. The legislature decided to exempt parking lots so that you can lawfully store your pistol in your car (securely) when you go into one of the places on the list, such as a hospital, without having to go all the way back home and lock your gun in your safe before returning. In addition to the pistol-free zones, any private entity (person or corporation) who owns or controls real estate, has the right to say who has pistols on that property. If the corporation has a blanket policy against all weapons "on site," that can be reasonably interpreted to mean the parking lot. It is certainly within the corporation's authority to ban any person or thing from its property, including the parking lots. This is a seperate issue from the pistol-free zones listed in the Michigan statute.
Do you have a question about firearms law or concealed carry in Michigan? MCRGO offers members access to a legal contact form where they may submit "Ask the Lawyer" questions online. This feature is available in our members area.
Q: I am an employee at a large manufacturing facility in Michigan and know that all of our facilities have signs posted at the entrance prohibiting weapons. These signs display a pistol circled with a slash thru it. I had been under the impression that as an employee they have the right to impose and enforce such a policy but that non-employees were not subject to these sort of policies. I was also under the impression that this would be considered a public place. If a CPL holder has the right to carry in any public place with the exceptions specified by law, how does one distinguish between a public and private place. Would not all privately owned business such as a shopping mall have the option to impose such bans? Thank you for your ENews letter, I find them to be very helpful and informative.

A: Many of the places that we commonly think of as "public" are in fact privately owned. The fact that a private business or place, such as a shopping mall, invites the public in to conduct business does not mean that it is not privately owned. In fact, most of us spend a vast majority of our time in places that are privately owned. You are, of course, correct in saying that your employer has the right to prohibit weapons, including firearms, on its premises. This prohibition may include both employees and customers. The decision is solely the corporation's. Shopping malls may, and some do, prohibit firearms.
We at MCRGO support an individual citizen's right to carry a pistol. Obviously, we encourage employers to consider the fact that only law-abiding employees, visitors, and customers will obey any "no weapons" policy. Since those signs can do nothing to stop a determined criminal, they are more likely to create an unsafe environment than a safe one. However, as responsible gun owners, we must accept the fact that, under current law, the corporation, or any owner/lessor of real property has the legal right to adopt and enforce such policies.