No More IE!!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I am finally done with Internet Explorer. I have used it since man created the pc and it has been great but I have finally stopped using it on my pc's at home.

I have used Firefox here and there but with the purchase of my laptop I have exclusively only used Firefox and I must admit I am happy. I use to switch back and forth on my desktop but was so use to IE I never fully committed to another browser but I am happy I am done with IE.

IE has just way too many problems. Why hasn't MS fixed these issues?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because some of those issues tey consider "features".

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see.

Security issues, easily compromised, non-standard web site rendering are 3.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just for the record...

I was just asking...I actually have nothing to offer as far as advice....

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well they can keep those "features" :)

Problems I have had are the security and the "IE is not responding &must shut down" dialog box that always seems to happen. That alone gets on my nerves the most.

With Firefox I never get that. So something tells me it is on MS end with IE.

Im just mad I waited this long to finally make the switch. You get so use to something despite its flaws you are resistant to change.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest plus for using FireFox over IE is I get great popup and ad blocking capabilities.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What took you so long.... sorry couldn't resist

First thing I did at work was install Firefox. (I of course got the ok from IT)

At home i experiment with Opera and Firefox.... IE only to test web page compatibility. I will use chrome likely to once it gets more bug fixes etc.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I switched over months ago and will never go back. I love Firefox and IE....well, you know. My IE crashed constantly and had way too many errors. I've never had a crash or an error with Firefox.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob - So true about the pop up and ad blocker. I am loving that part along with the rest of the add-ons.

I had to calm down and not put so many add-ons in firefox.

BlueDragon - LOL! Just plain resistance to change and I never took the time to get use to it. Plus with the old firefox it wouldn't open some webpages I would go to while IE could, but that is no longer the case. Actually now IE freezes a lot and wont open some pages while Firefox does it with a breeze, go figure.

MBeezy - I agree, no errors or crashes with Firefox at all. Too bad Microsoft can't get it right with IE.

Someone tell me, how is it that Fuirefox browser can be so stable but IE's can't? Bob I know you mentioned "features" but outside of that IE does have a lot of problems. Is it lack of focus on MS part? Hackers rather spending their time with IE rather than Firefox? What gives?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used Firefox primarily for several years. I'm still stuck with IE at work, and for some applications because they won't run in Firefox.

IE has more vulnerablities -- and is used by so many more people that it's been the main target of hackers. That'll change as alternate browsers become more popular.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IE never crashes on my XP box.

As a web developer, I wish it was that simple, I wish they were all feature-identical... but it isn't so.

There are some apps / pages that won't work in anything but IE. Hopefully you don't ever need to use any of them :p

I have both FF and IE, mostly use FF for browsing and fun, and IE for "work"

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love Firefox, even tho I am not techy enough to really get the most of it. Best free thing I've had in years.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Like free stuff...

Open Office - Alternative to Microsoft Office (takes a little getting used to)
GIMP - Alternative to photoshop (also has a bit of a learning curve to it)

Check these two places for more browsers..... there is a lot out there. Microsoft does not have to be the only thing people use.

http://www.deadparrottavern.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167
http://www.dravensportal.com/drvpforum/index.php/board,44.0.html

I personally like the Opera Browser but find myself using firefox.... i don't know why.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what issues are you guys having with IE?

Well, I don't use it on my Mac (Safari with the WebKit night-lies and FireFox) but since I develop for the web on occasion I get tired of having to write and test the idiosyncrasies of IE, especially IE 6, that are non-standard and also non-consistent. IE's existence in the world causes pain and suffering even to those who don't use it :)

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The strange thing is that I never really experience any issues with IE7 unless I'm looking at things I'm not supposed to...hehe...

But even then, I really don't have that many issues that come up. I know that IE is bad about not having as much security, and that most of the adware and spyware out there is written to attack IE, but that's avoidable most of the time by downloading a firewall and using Adaware and Malwarebytes. Takes a little more time to download those, and I agree that IE should have that all inclusive in the browser, but all-in-all, I rarely have issues with it.

Latest Discussions