No - gi Judo

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone tried no-gi Judo? Seems like a good idea.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not formally. But when I was training Judo, I would practice against a friend who was a wrestler. We'd just grab some floor whenever there was something soft enough (wrestling mats, soft carpet, etc.), and in whatever we were wearing at the time.

There's a distinct benefit to it - you learn how to operate without the strong uniform fabric to work with in holds and controls.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have to develop a different set of contact points control.

- sleeve hold -> arm wrap.
- upper collar hold -> single neck tie.
- cross lapel hold -> neck wiping.
- front lapel hold -> under hook.
- back belt hold -> waist wrap.

You have to develop strong grip so you can pull on your opponent's arm skin. It's good opportunity to learn how to take advantage on your opponent's pressure point on his arm.

The L-5 pressure point is an interested one.

arm-pressure-point-1.gif

Last edited:
OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good information, thanks. I've been taking private BJJ lessons due to time constraints. $100 an hour isn't cheap but I've been getting a lot of out of it. I talked to the Judo instructor I took lessons from a few months ago and he does privates for $40 and No-gi. I'm going to give that a shot too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good information, thanks. I've been taking private BJJ lessons due to time constraints. $100 an hour isn't cheap but I've been getting a lot of out of it. I talked to the Judo instructor I took lessons from a few months ago and he does privates for $40 and No-gi. I'm going to give that a shot too.
Judo typically works with the gi a lot, as of course do at least some folks in BJJ (maybe all who train with gi). Training no-gi in any grappling that uses the gi changes the dynamics in lots of interesting ways that are fun and enlightening.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Judo typically works with the gi a lot, as of course do at least some folks in BJJ (maybe all who train with gi). Training no-gi in any grappling that uses the gi changes the dynamics in lots of interesting ways that are fun and enlightening.

My BJJ instructor asked me before I started doing privates whether I wanted to do gi or no gi and I chose no gi. My thinking was it's just more realistic to learn without a gi rather than rely on the gi for certain things.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I often wonder if just knowing a single/double leg TD is all you really need for a self defense standpoint. From there you need the ground game.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My BJJ instructor asked me before I started doing privates whether I wanted to do gi or no gi and I chose no gi. My thinking was it's just more realistic to learn without a gi rather than rely on the gi for certain things.
Training with a gi forces you to work harder on defense, but yeah, it can lead to dependence on that sturdy fabric.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I often wonder if just knowing a single/double leg TD is all you really need for a self defense standpoint. From there you need the ground game.
If you want to fight on the ground, and they stick to striking, perhaps. Practicing standing grappling lets you use throws as offense (rather than just set-up) and trains you to defend against standing grappling to stay standing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Jacket training is for winter time combat skill.
- No-jacket training is for summer time combat skill.

Both has it's value. One of my guys has 15 years in western wrestling. The 1st time he competed in jacket wrestling, he didn't win.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You will need more than just single leg and double legs.

If your opponent's

- leg is close to you, you use single leg, or double legs.
- head is close to you, you use ...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You will need more than just single leg and double legs.

If your opponent's

- leg is close to you, you use single leg, or double legs.
- head is close to you, you use ...

Head snap to double leg single leg.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All you need are sweeps. And a way to get outside their reach when they’re on the ground.

Think about it - they come at you, and right before they can touch you, you take their feet out from under them and get out of range before they can grab you.

But since it’s practically impossible to truly get to that level, I practice other things too.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
All you need are sweeps. And a way to get outside their reach when they’re on the ground.

Think about it - they come at you, and right before they can touch you, you take their feet out from under them and get out of range before they can grab you.

But since it’s practically impossible to truly get to that level, I practice other things too.

JR do you mean for Judo or against a wrestler?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
JR do you mean for Judo or against a wrestler?
For anyone. I kinda drifted away from the topic though. Some people say all you need is... I say all you need is sweeps.

But no gi Judo would be a great idea. A lot of Judo throws are similar to wrestling throws in ways, so I can’t imagine it would be a really difficult transition from gi to no gi.

Latest Discussions