ninja on mythbusters this week (4/25/07)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it would have been nice if:

(a) They'd mentioned why they considered me a "real ninja" (e.g. the Hatsumi/Takamatsu lineage thing)

(b) There'd been more of a time-length balance on the shuko/sword bit between Kari and Joel Everett: The first run-through was with Joel and we were "doing it for real", yet they only showed a few seconds of that

(c) They'd pronounced "Bujinkan" correctly the single time the name was mentioned

But I really have no major complaints. This show is, after all, entertainment first and foremost and was never intended to be about the Bujinkan or to be much of a serious exploration of historic ninjutsu.

Predictably, though, plenty of people even among our own "community" didn't understand what they were seeing:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1166948#post1166948

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1167109#post1167109

I recorded the show, of course, and I just replayed the stuff with Adam in slow-mo. Hmmm. I'm very relaxed, smiling, as I'm moving. Obviously I've totally lost control of the situation. . .

Regarding the shuko-vs.-sword bit with Joel, which actually was done before the part with Kari: There was no rehearsal before going on-camera, and in fact I'd never done that AT ALL before doing it with Joel. He didn't know how I was going to finish it -- and I didn't either until I was actually doing it. But I also knew he could receive what I did without getting broken.

Dale, I thought you did a great job!
icon14.gif
I could tell you were not trying to do a specific technique. Those links were disappointing. :(

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ya might try finding it on tvrss.net

O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Seago, I think it was great and I enjoyed getting a chance to see you in action! This is the kind of thing that is good for the arts, even if I did grown a bit at the focus on catching the sword between the palms of the hand. :rolleyes: Good work!

The complaints about the throw are downright silly--with a total beginner who is also clowning for the camera, one has to be very careful not to hurt him (or allow him to hurt himself). He could easily have sprained a wrist on a throw that one of your students could easily take.