Niahanchi Series or the Tekki Series

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Allright here it is everyweek I will ppost a new kata and I would like to get at least one break down from anyone that does this kata. I don't care if you think yours is better or right. The fact of the matter is that there is no right or wrong as long as you have a sensible application.Off of the opening movement (when you put your right hand in your left and bring the hands down) I like to use these different ways, one way is to rub my forearms across LI10 which causes the elbow to bend and allows for the first strike in the kata.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another use for the opening move that is used in almost all katas where the left hand is open and right hand is closed is to use the left hand to grab the back of the head and pull it into a right punch.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
Allright here it is everyweek I will ppost a new kata and I would like to get at least one break down from anyone that does this kata. I don't care if you think yours is better or right. The fact of the matter is that there is no right or wrong as long as you have a sensible application.Off of the opening movement (when you put your right hand in your left and bring the hands down) I like to use these different ways, one way is to rub my forearms across LI10 which causes the elbow to bend and allows for the first strike in the kata.
I am guessing you are talking about the move that looks like you are holding a book reading it......kinda sort of anyway.
Are you talking about the top half of the move or the bottom half?
Because they can be broken down into 2 different sets of techniques.

Top half:

1) head butt
2) There are about 10 different variations on the defence against a single hand push (either side), 2 hand push, choke, etc.....

Bottom half:

I might post later depending on how this thread goes......

PPKO,

Just a simple question and not meant to be rude......but why does everything HAVE to be a pressure point to you? For example the move you asked about actually works more on body mechanics and the laws of natural physics rather than pps.....just wondering.....

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I am guessing you are talking about the move that looks like you are holding a book reading it......kinda sort of anyway.

Top half:

1) head butt
2) There are about 10 different variations on the defence against a single hand push (either side), 2 hand push, choke, etc.....

Bottom half:

PPKO,

Just a simple question and not meant to be rude......but why does everything HAVE to be a pressure point to you? For example the move you asked about actually works more on body mechanics and the laws of natural physics rather than pps.....just wondering.....
I always try to include PP no matter what I do (if I can:) ) I see (at least in this particular break down) the topo half of it, but the second half in this instance is me just saying that I am bringing my opponent down.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:

Top half:

1) head butt

Bottom half:

PPKO,

Thanks for your input also

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
Another use for the opening move that is used in almost all katas where the left hand is open and right hand is closed is to use the left hand to grab the back of the head and pull it into a right punch.
Think you for that breakdown

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
1)I always try to include PP no matter what I do (if I can:) ) I see (at least in this particular break down) the topo half of it, but the second half in this instance is me just saying that I am bringing my opponent down.

1) Some parts of the kata do have pp as part of the technique but to think they all do is like saying every technique has a maegeri kick in it..... many are just plain old boring tuite techniques.

2) The bottom half does have some "take down" type applications but there is more than meets the eye for that move........

Naihanchi is a bit of a tricky kata to understand sometimes. You almost always have to think of several moves put together......but usually not in the same order as the kata.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
1) Some parts of the kata do have pp as part of the technique but to think they all do is like saying every technique has a maegeri kick in it..... many are just plain old boring tuite techniques.

2) The bottom half does have some "take down" type applications but there is more than meets the eye for that move........

Naihanchi is a bit of a tricky kata to understand sometimes. You almost always have to think of several moves put together......but usually not in the same order as the kata.
I agree totally, this is just one of my breakdowns for the opening movement. I have others, but anyways like I said before if I can add PP into the kata than I will. I mean if you want than you could break the kata down in many different ways this is why I love this series and the reason why I posted it first.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
I agree totally, this is just one of my breakdowns for the opening movement. I have others, but anyways like I said before if I can add PP into the kata than I will. I mean if you want than you could break the kata down in many different ways this is why I love this series and the reason why I posted it first.

The Chinese have an excellent saying for this situation:

Draw snake, add legs.

Since snakes don't have legs there is no need to draw them.....it means you add too much to something that is already finished or doesn't need any more improvements........pp are used to enhance other techniques, when used properly they are not meant be an end but a means in which to make techniques work better.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
The Chinese have an excellent saying for this situation:

Draw snake, add legs.

Since snakes don't have legs there is no need to draw them.....it means you add too much to something that is already finished or doesn't need any more improvements........pp are used to enhance other techniques, when used properly they are not meant be an end but a means in which to make techniques work better.
What the PP do in this instance is tell you where to place your forearms, or strike (whichever you prefer). It is one of those aim small miss small principles