Wooden Bats or Metal Bats?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which do you think is better material for a bat weapon, metal or wood? I'm not sure what type of metal they use in metal bats, but I would suspect it would be metal bats. However, I've heard somewhere wooden bats might be harder. Which also produces a better strike?

By the way, what would be the best blunt weapon? I would think it would be a wooden club, however are there metal clubs now?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
Which do you think is better material for a bat weapon, metal or wood? I'm not sure what type of metal they use in metal bats, but I would suspect it would be metal bats. However, I've heard somewhere wooden bats might be harder. Which also produces a better strike?

By the way, what would be the best blunt weapon? I would think it would be a wooden club, however are there metal clubs now?
Wood. Metal is better for splitting skin, but the reverb of metal causes it to bounce off of the target it strikes. A thick wood bat processes less vibration, so there is a greater delivery of force in depth to the target. In other words, you can cut his head and hear "ping", or you can dent his head and hear "thuk".

Dave

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Wood. Metal is better for splitting skin, but the reverb of metal causes it to bounce off of the target it strikes. A thick wood bat processes less vibration, so there is a greater delivery of force in depth to the target. In other words, you can cut his head and hear "ping", or you can dent his head and hear "thuk".

Dave
That imagery is enough to make me wince. Remind me not to meet you in a dark alley.

- Ceicei

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
Which do you think is better material for a bat weapon, metal or wood?
Yes! :D Okay okay...Depends on length, diameter, material etc. Most metal bats are (I believe) made of Aluminum which is pretty light as metals go. The same bat made of steel would be too heavy to use efficiently. Just get a club like one of the ones that I've got. It's got a 1 1/4" in diameter wood shaft (approx 20" long) with a solid 1/2" cylinder of lead down the middle.

T

ThatWasAKick

SMP said:
Wood - It sounds a lot less dangerous in court
LOL Unless Dave is describing it, then the jury would have nightmares.

S

sifu nick

I think either one would get the job done. Aluminum bats tend to be lighter producing faster swings and generating more power. That is why major league baseball doesn't allow their use for fear that the line drives and grounders would be too dangerous.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A baseball bat... 9mm.... baseball bat... 9mm.... Hmm, mebbe it's just me :idunno: but if you're thinking home defense... I'll go with a 9 any day...or night.
Metal or wood, either one is going to cause damage to your supposed attacker... Thing is you gotta make sure you're in a room big enough to swing it effectively, and don't care about whatever else (lamps, vases, etc.) that's in the way... oh and be sure to tell your wife/gf to duck before you start swinging...but that'll give away your intent won't it? Hmm... tough choice.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:

Dave

I was thinking more of a SPLAT, dribble, dribble, dribble.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I think that the metal bat could be your one stop shopping place. Esp. since with how technology is today, a metal bat isnt just a metal bat. There are so many different types, weights and designs.

I am sure with some research you will find the bat you are looking for.

Batter Up

:whip:

sorry couldnt resist the batter up comment

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Latest Discussions