NFL Players Practicing Martial Arts to Improve Game

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are they trying to improve their HOCKEY, or win more of the fights on the ice?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's more common than what other people think it would be. Some martial arts schools use it as a selling point that doing martial arts will help the child improve in other sports as well. Depending on what type of martial arts you take, there is a lot of coordination between the brain and body. Balanced is greatly improve with martial arts and sensing comes in handy for defensive linemen in football. Its a good example of martial arts being a way of life.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing new, from 1983-1988 Guro Dan Inosanto and Ajarn Chai Sirisute were employed by the Dallas Cowboys to instruct the martial arts as a part of the Cowboys' off season training program.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend of mine played in the NFL for many years. NFL Hall of Famer now, which is kind of a big deal. But, he's been a Karate student since he was a little kid.

He always said that Martial Arts training helped him kick some serious *** in the NFL.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've even heard of NFL players taking ballet to improve their balance and coordination as well. Of course, they tend not to highlight that as much.

KFMo01

White Belt
Reaction score
I in outraged my best fiend to take Kung fu with me when she was asking time off of climbing so her ligament tear could heal. When she went back to climbing her core strength, leg reach
and coordination moving her arms with her legs had improved.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nothing new, from 1983-1988 Guro Dan Inosanto and Ajarn Chai Sirisute were employed by the Dallas Cowboys to instruct the martial arts as a part of the Cowboys' off season training program.
Goes back farther than that. I have a WWII era manual that shows Chicago Bears football players doing martial arts. Also discusses other sports and their benefits to developing fighting spirit and crossover training potential.

Latest Discussions