Newbie saying hi! and a question...

OP
S

subzero

White Belt
Reaction score
You are more than welcome..Although its been quite awhile for me I cannot recall Shorin-Ryu having kicks that are similar to TKD...That not withstanding keep me posted..

I guess that's right. I hear terms like side kicks and round houses and automatically associated them to being similar to TKD. After watching more closely, I can notice that the kicks are not aimed nearly as high as in TKD.

After meeting with the instructor for a while, I've decided to go ahead and give it a try. I start Tuesday! He says if he can teach a man with no legs Judo, he feels confident that he can teach a man with 1 bum leg Karate :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is outstanding to hear. One of the great things about long time martial artists is that there seems to be a certain mindset regarding overcoming adversity to continue to train. That mindset usually, not always mind you, carries over into everyday life.

baron

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hello subzero: i can relate to your questions i suffered a complete rupture of the quadacept (tore the muscle from my kneecap). will take about a year to a year and a half to recover. doctor told me that i will be limited in martial arts due to the muscle being reattached to the bone and the knee being screwed in to hold it in place. he recomends no front snap kicks plus a lot of other restrictions. so does my physical therapist and a sports doctor i have seen. i have trained with other martial artist that have suffered worse than me and their advice is take it slow and never give up. thats what i plan on doing when the time presents itself. untill then i take one day at a time and get a little stronger each day.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess that's right. I hear terms like side kicks and round houses and automatically associated them to being similar to TKD. After watching more closely, I can notice that the kicks are not aimed nearly as high as in TKD.

And that alone was good news for me..If the kicks had been TKD type I never would have lasted as long as I did..

After meeting with the instructor for a while, I've decided to go ahead and give it a try. I start Tuesday! He says if he can teach a man with no legs Judo, he feels confident that he can teach a man with 1 bum leg Karate :)

He sounds like an excellent teacher..The BEST of luck to you and PLEASE keep us posted..Your experiences may help a lurker in a similar situation get back to the dojo and start training again..

OP
S

subzero

White Belt
Reaction score
Well...I did it! Had my first class tonite. It was pretty awesome! I was able to keep up (for the most part), and the best part was...my leg held together.

Oh..and a correction...it's Shuri-Ryu not Shorin-Ryu.

Thanks to all again for your advice and support.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well...I did it! Had my first class tonite. It was pretty awesome! I was able to keep up (for the most part), and the best part was...my leg held together.

Thats good news!! Shuri ryu is similar to Shorin Ryu so its not to much different in its approach but I know some of the stances are deeper depending on the Sensei.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Glad Brandon is here as i don't know squat about Shuri-Ryu..I'm glad to hear it went well..Yeah the first couple of times are the roughest, more than once I had to bow out and sit because the pain of of those dormant muscles and tendons now being worked became intense.It soon passed..The BEST of luck..

Latest Discussions