New Weapons of Wing Chun

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since times have changed. We no longer have weapons like The butterfly knives and long pole. Would it be a strecth to include new weapons into your Wing Chun art.

Weapons to be included
Hand Gun(Proper license)
Shot Gun
A Baseball Bat
Two Hammers
two Axes
Two Machetes
Kitchen Knives

Would these be acceptable weapons? Which of these would be lawful to carry around lets say a car or your persons?

I know that Hammers, screwdrives, pliers and baseball bats one can have on their person.

An if you live in area where conceal and carry is legal your hand gun can be on your side in holster.

So I was woundering if anybody has thought about incorporating these weapons into their art?

I have worked with the baseball bat(Aluminum),Kitchen knives and soon machetes. Along with other knives.

I see people practicing defense against a knife attack or baseball attack. But what about using these as weapons to take out your attacker?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that the only weapons a style really needs is (aside from unarmed) yawara, knife, and cane. The cane is a weapon that can easily adapted to various other weapons that one is likely to find in the street (stick, pipe, basball bat, ax, machette, hammer, and so on). Firearms trianing itself is useful, but is secondary to defense against them.

However, if one were to take a traditional Martial art and try to make it more applicable to the modern world, I would say add the weapons I mentioned, and include "classes" on Combat Hunter (which would mesh perfectly with Wing Chun), Coopers Color Code, Escalation of Force laws/regulations, First Aid, and so on. But, most important of all, being able to pick up pretty much anything off the streets, and make it a weapon.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the past I always kept a metal pipes, baseball bat and brick in my trunk...

I think that the only weapons a style really needs is (aside from unarmed) yawara, knife, and cane. The cane is a weapon that can easily adapted to various other weapons that one is likely to find in the street (stick, pipe, basball bat, ax, machette, hammer, and so on). Firearms trianing itself is useful, but is secondary to defense against them.

However, if one were to take a traditional Martial art and try to make it more applicable to the modern world, I would say add the weapons I mentioned, and include "classes" on Combat Hunter (which would mesh perfectly with Wing Chun), Coopers Color Code, Escalation of Force laws/regulations, First Aid, and so on. But, most important of all, being able to pick up pretty much anything off the streets, and make it a weapon.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have always felt the Filipino MAs should be thrown into any mix, as should grappling to round things out.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think now and days a baseball bat and a gun should be thrown into ones martial art curriculm to train them to be well rounded in this day and age!

I have always felt the Filipino MAs should be thrown into any mix, as should grappling to round things out.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since times have changed. We no longer have weapons like The butterfly knives and long pole. Would it be a strecth to include new weapons into your Wing Chun art....

...So I was woundering if anybody has thought about incorporating these weapons into their art?

Incorporating practical weapons training along with your WC is a terrific idea. But it's pretty tough trying to "reinvent the wheel" and come up with your own adaptations from scratch, when it has already been done with so much depth. I'm with Seeker on this. There is a terrific wealth of tried and tested knowledge within the Filipino martial arts that can be adapted to Wing Chun. In fact it has already been done! In Europe, the EWTO has been using Escrima (originally from Rene Latosa) for decades. And here in the US, the EBMAS WT association incorporates Rene Latosa's Escrima Concepts with devastating effectiveness. The advantage of this weapons system is that it focuses on concepts that can complement WT/WC as well as other martial arts and can be applied to all sorts of improvised weapons as well as empty hand self defense.

BTW, I am not an EBMAS member, and due to the political BS that seems to infect most martial arts, I cannot openly train with their organization. But I did reach instructor rank under Rene Latosa back in the '80s and can personally vouch for the practicality of his system. I have resumed training with another group of Filipino martial artists. Yoshihahu, there's some really good stuff out there with centuries of battle tested refinement behind it. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend that you check it out.

Oh, one more thing... Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two Hammers
two Axes
Two Machetes

Would these be acceptable weapons?

No.
I would love to see you tell the cops why you were defending yourself with 2 axes. You are going to jail guaranteed.
Also, why the insistance on 2 of each weapon? I could tell a judge that I had a hammer or baseball bat laying around and beat a guy up using them, but everyone is going to wonder why you have a pair of something ridiculous like 2 machetes on you while you are walking home from the store.
The kitchen knives, baseball bat, and guns are reasonable since they are things that would be in a home for home defense, but the others are just silly.

AoG

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent point. The Machetes would be more like house weapons too. But I suppose the short swords and long pole make great house weapons as well...I prefer to travel around with box cutter,pliers or vice grips my self. An also a hard metal pen. The hard Metal Pen and Vice grips make excellent striking and pressure point attacking weapons. Pliers work well on the groin. An the box cutter self explantory. Plus the box cutter are less than an inch.

Great weapons for the streets along with mace or some other deterent.
But yea, I could see a hammer and screw driver being in on car. In fact you have small tool case with tools that could be use specificly for weapons such as axes, saw, hammers, malets, big wrench, crow bar, etc. But it would be a good idea to probably modify the short swords forms to make use of two hammers,wrench or crow bars. Or you could modify your silat and escrima drills to incorporate these household weapons.

Its a wounderful idea.

No.
I would love to see you tell the cops why you were defending yourself with 2 axes. You are going to jail guaranteed.
Also, why the insistance on 2 of each weapon? I could tell a judge that I had a hammer or baseball bat laying around and beat a guy up using them, but everyone is going to wonder why you have a pair of something ridiculous like 2 machetes on you while you are walking home from the store.
The kitchen knives, baseball bat, and guns are reasonable since they are things that would be in a home for home defense, but the others are just silly.

AoG

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No.
Also, why the insistance on 2 of each weapon? I could tell a judge that I had a hammer or baseball bat laying around and beat a guy up using them, but everyone is going to wonder why you have a pair of something ridiculous like 2 machetes on you...
AoG

Good points. If you are going to carry axes, machetes, clubs... or even flaming chainsaws, better make sure to have at least three of them along with a clown suit. It would also help in your legal defense if you know how to juggle.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now that made me laugh...My Sifu also told me that two or three socks together with a cue ball or pool table ball inside of it makes a nice carring weapon too. Kinda of like swinging head bonker...Years later I got to see a similation of what he meant. There was an action movie where Steven Seagal did what my Sifu was sharing with me.

Good points. If you are going to carry axes, machetes, clubs... or even flaming chainsaws, better make sure to have at least three of them along with a clown suit. It would also help in your legal defense if you know how to juggle.

Mystic Wolf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
By learning the pole and the butterfly knives you will have an understanding of how to use weapons. When I teach sticks, I use what I have learned from the pole and butterfly knives techniques.

My best friend studied escrima for many years and we stick fight every now and again and he is impressed with the way I implement wing chun weapons in my stick fighting techniques.

As for fire arms, that is something different. I use what I have learned under Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nor do I understand what Mystic wolf meant...I can merely speculate to what he meant...Very interesting analogy...Misguided Children...

Well here is my Speculation.

An abbreviation would be USMC. Which could mean Uncle Sam's Migrating Chimpanzees. I believe its alternative acronym used by Marines. So I guess it could mean United States Marine Corps. My personal Acronym is

Usurpering Services Mandating Conquerors. But I believe he is on to something with Uncles Sam's Misguided Childern.

here are some more qoutes I thought funny...

"Muscles Are Required, I"Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential SIR!"
MARINES

MARINE = My *** Really Is Navy Equipmentntelligence Not Essential SIR!"

Thats an.... interesting title. And yes, I do know what you mean by that line.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well here is my Speculation.

An abbreviation would be USMC.

Do me a favor and look at what my job is in my profile. See why I'm not laughing? I perfer any of the following:

Devil dog
Teufleshunden
leatherneck
bad ***
Full rank title and/or billet
Marine
hard charger
"Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet"
And so on.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hubbie laughed hard at the "Uncle Sam's Migrating Chimpanzies" one. lol! Gonna pass that on to his other marine student. Cute.

My step dad was Navy, "what sound does poop make when it hits the fan? Marine!" He always laughed hard at that one, funny pun though. :)

Hubbie's knife stuff is soooo cool from USMC force recon, just can't get into stepping toward the knife! ack! He makes it look so easy. Makes me queezy. lol! I'm getting it though. All about forward motion and deflection, just like WC/WT, but into a knife empty hand. Similar, then to "sticky hands" (chi sau is war! lol!) then to nasty takedown usually ending a bloody pool on floor.
eeep....! Anyways, civiy gets squeemish at the thought. But, good stuff to know ;)

And you don't have to carry a weapon. You just take what they bring. You "aquire" the enemies weapon and add it to your "inventory" of woop ****! lol! "one mind, any weapon."

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
All about forward motion and deflection, just like WC/WT, but into a knife empty hand.

"If force advances, deflect. If force retreats, advance. If force detatches, attack." Something my Sensei/Sifu tells us quite alot. However, every MCMAP/MOUT/Combat Drill I've been taught involves "no matter what, agress towards the enemy". I've noticed the Wing Chun philosophy fits in better with what the Army does. Not perfectly, but better.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay Mr. Devil Dog....Now you lost me. What do you mean why your not laughing...Are you a marine?

You didn't Know what USMC stands for but your a marine?

Wow...my my...Can you tell me what Semper Fi means?

Do me a favor and look at what my job is in my profile. See why I'm not laughing? I perfer any of the following:

Devil dog
Teufleshunden
leatherneck
bad ***
Full rank title and/or billet
Marine
hard charger
"Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet"
And so on.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea i would love to learn some Knife combat. I haven't actually delved into that as of yet!

Hubbie laughed hard at the "Uncle Sam's Migrating Chimpanzies" one. lol! Gonna pass that on to his other marine student. Cute.

My step dad was Navy, "what sound does poop make when it hits the fan? Marine!" He always laughed hard at that one, funny pun though. :)

Hubbie's knife stuff is soooo cool from USMC force recon, just can't get into stepping toward the knife! ack! He makes it look so easy. Makes me queezy. lol! I'm getting it though. All about forward motion and deflection, just like WC/WT, but into a knife empty hand. Similar, then to "sticky hands" (chi sau is war! lol!) then to nasty takedown usually ending a bloody pool on floor.
eeep....! Anyways, civiy gets squeemish at the thought. But, good stuff to know ;)

And you don't have to carry a weapon. You just take what they bring. You "aquire" the enemies weapon and add it to your "inventory" of woop ****! lol! "one mind, any weapon."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,

We're drifting off track here. This thread is not about the USMC. It is about the use of modern day weapons in WC.

Lets stop with the personal shots and off topic discussion and return to the topic at hand please.

Thank you,

Mike

Latest Discussions