new toy

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd share the AR I finished building last week. I bought the stripped lower from a SLC gunshop and ordered the kit online. I impatiently waited for the several UPS deliveries (mags, rear-sight, complete upper kit), and when they finally did, a couple of hours later I had her done. Well, she wasn't done until today when I went to the range and started zeroing the sights (and made sure I didn't screw something up when I built it!). LOTS of fun to shoot. I've got a rear flip up sight, because at some point I'm planning on putting an optic on it, I figure I'll get well acquainted with the iron sights first though.

If anyone is interested in an AR, I highly recommend building it yourself, I learned so much that I probably would never have learned if I had bought it complete, plus you save a bit of money. Another bonus was that I was able to install the ambidextrous controls (I shoot rifles lefty) during the course of the build. With no further ado.....

Attachments

• $AR complete.jpg
    $AR complete.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 147
OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan said:
Is there a benefit to the inverted mag?

Actually its not a mag, its a .45 shell holder, and I was just using it as a stand.

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Explorer said:
So, is it a .223 or .308? I like my .223 a lot. A great, great rifle. With the right ammo, it's pretty accurate too.

.223, I can't afford .308. :D I looked long and hard at getting (or building) a FAL, but if I went with .308, I'd have to get into reloading, and I don't want to do that right now.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice job, you made a good rifle there it looks like.

Jeff

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Upper and lower are Rock River Arms, I'm not sure about the lower internals, but the trigger is a RRA 2 stage, and the stock is for an M4.

Lamont

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
good looking rifle. Is that an actually middy with the mid-length gas tube or the carbine tubing with a midlength handguard?

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
good looking rifle. Is that an actually middy with the mid-length gas tube or the carbine tubing with a midlength handguard?

Mid-length gas tube. Honestly I half got it for aesthetics and half for the benefits of the longer gas tube. I think alot of the civilian ARs look a bit silly with 8 inches of barrel hanging out the end. With standard carbines I always felt like my front arm was forced to be too tight to the receiver, the longer handguard allows me a more comfortable angle in my arm. The comfort thing is probaly left over habits from using my shotgun. The middie seemed like a good compromise, the added benefit of lower chamber pressures was just gravy.

Lamont

OP
Blindside

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I think alot of the civilian ARs look a bit silly with 8 inches of barrel hanging out the end.

Great, there I go, insulting the aesthetics of Andy's AR.... which I just saw on the other thread. Andy, please apologize to your carbine for me. :D

Lamont

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No problem! I like the midlength looks better too. I heard that is smooths out the cycling a little compaired to the M4 length tubes. I would have gotten one if they made one in a lefty.