Safety on Glocks

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you had the aftermarket thumb safety's for you Glock. I've had one on my 17 for a few years now. I love it. Maybe it's just
'cause I grew up shooting 1911's.

I really love it when I'm shooting with friends or on a more public range and I let someone else shoot it. Invariably they just go to pull the trigger and nothing happens. So, even if it gets taken away from you by someone who has a clue about pistols, they probably wouldn't know about that.

JeffJ

Oh, and if you are curious, I got mine from C&S down in TX.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cominolli.

I don't like manual safeties on double action-only handguns. The only time I'd ever want a manual safety on a handgun is if it's a single action semi-automatic pistol, such as a Browning Hi Power or a 1911, and if I were to carry it cocked and locked.

The way i see it, my Glocks are as simple as a regular double action revolver (of which, only one double action revolver that I know of has a manual safety). As long as I keep it in my good holster, and keep my finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire, there's no way it's going off.

Just as a side note, the Miami PD took a Glock 17, and chucked it repeatedly against a steel-reinforced concrete wall at 45 MPH, with a casing containing a live primer in the chamber. It didn't discharge.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck Grenadier, maybe I shouldn't mention I had a safety added to my S&W 686+ as well.

Jeff

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Heck Grenadier, maybe I shouldn't mention I had a safety added to my S&W 686+ as well.

Jeff

icon10.gif

Nothing wrong with having manual safeties. I just don't think that they are necessary, if someone practices decent safety habits, and uses a good holster that covers the trigger guard.

It all comes down to a matter of personal preference, as long as the most important safety is engaged (the one between the ears).

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not a big gun enthueist(SP?), but when the glock first came out years ago, I went to a small arms range near DC and my friend and I got the free chance to test fire one. It was fun, but I did not like the safety on the trigger itself. Also the way the rear of the weapon was inclosed so you could not visualy see if the hammer/firing pin was cocked. Didn't like that either.JMO. If some of you don't feel I have the experience with a firearm compared to yours to judge, you are right, I have little experience. As for the Glock and it's safety, just ask the handfull of DC police cadets who injured themselves during training with it what they think of the safety on the trigger. Many here have a lot of experience with firearms and are more at ease about safe handling, but the Glock is a common firearm and finds its way into some young foolish hands. Again JMO. PEACE

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
icon10.gif

Nothing wrong with having manual safeties. I just don't think that they are necessary, if someone practices decent safety habits, and uses a good holster that covers the trigger guard.

It all comes down to a matter of personal preference, as long as the most important safety is engaged (the one between the ears).

No way I could disagree with that. I have two main reasons for putting a thumb safety on both my Glock and S&W revolver.

1. If someone got the weapon away from me, they would have a much harder time operating it.

2. Both are handguns I carry at times for defensive purposes, and have a few modifications each. If it came down to a criminal or civil court case if I had to use them, I think it would show that I just didn't make the gun "deadlier" in the eyes of a know nothing jury.

But, that's just me.

Jeff

Latest Discussions