New town/School Options

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So before this post, here's my disclaimers: I'm aware everyone has different needs/desires, I plan to check out all 3 (and am not limiting myself to these 3 options), I have the ability to email each of them and bring up any concerns I have before I go, and I know that until I go in person I won't know for sure which one I do/don't like. I've also got a preliminary ranking of which one I like the most/least just based on their websites. Okay, that said:

I've found three schools that all teach FMA (2 kali, 1 arnis) that I'm interested in. Keep in mind my main goal is kali, but if I'm going to a school anyway, chances are high I'll attend their other classes. Each of them are between 25-30 minutes away. I'm not necessarily looking for any advice on what would be best for me, as I said I've already decided that, I'm just curious about which one other's on here would go to, looking at their website. And if you're interested in their non-kali classes instead, post that too! Also the first/second/third below isn't order of preference, just going left to right the tabs I've got open.

Appreciate any reviews.

The first school teaches kali and aikido, each 2 days per week. Adult Martial Arts Classes In Raleigh | Innovative Martial Arts

The second school teaches MMA and Kali, and focuses on muay thai. Adult MMA (they don't separate by style) is 3 days a week, while kali is only on saturdays. DURHAM SCHOOL OF MARTIAL ARTS MMA & FITNESS

The third school teaches Si Lum Kung Fu, Arnis and Tai Chi. Kung fu (they don't separate si lum from tai chi on their schedule) twice a week, only beginner/intermediate, and arnis three times a week but one is invitation only. Triangle Kung Fu Arnis Academy Raleigh, NC

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you've already got a pretty good idea how to pick a school. My general advice is usually given to newbies, but I don't think it applies differently to you. Asterisk for steps you've already completed.
  1. Do a search for schools in your area*
  2. Filter out schools that you would likely be unable to attend regularly due to commute, schedule conflicts, or price*
  3. Filter out schools that you're not that excited about (for you, it seems any school that isn't FMA is out)*
  4. Try them out and see which ones you want to join
From there, you can decide based on factors such as:
  • How knowledgeable do the instructors seem
  • Do the higher ranking students seem to be better on average than lower ranking students
  • Do they seem to have the same goals you have regarding application, competition, and fitness
  • Did you have fun and get along with the other students
  • Did you feel like a valued customer

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So before this post, here's my disclaimers: I'm aware everyone has different needs/desires, I plan to check out all 3 (and am not limiting myself to these 3 options), I have the ability to email each of them and bring up any concerns I have before I go, and I know that until I go in person I won't know for sure which one I do/don't like. I've also got a preliminary ranking of which one I like the most/least just based on their websites. Okay, that said:

I've found three schools that all teach FMA (2 kali, 1 arnis) that I'm interested in. Keep in mind my main goal is kali, but if I'm going to a school anyway, chances are high I'll attend their other classes. Each of them are between 25-30 minutes away. I'm not necessarily looking for any advice on what would be best for me, as I said I've already decided that, I'm just curious about which one other's on here would go to, looking at their website. And if you're interested in their non-kali classes instead, post that too! Also the first/second/third below isn't order of preference, just going left to right the tabs I've got open.

Appreciate any reviews.

The first school teaches kali and aikido, each 2 days per week. Adult Martial Arts Classes In Raleigh | Innovative Martial Arts

The second school teaches MMA and Kali, and focuses on muay thai. Adult MMA (they don't separate by style) is 3 days a week, while kali is only on saturdays. DURHAM SCHOOL OF MARTIAL ARTS MMA & FITNESS

The third school teaches Si Lum Kung Fu, Arnis and Tai Chi. Kung fu (they don't separate si lum from tai chi on their schedule) twice a week, only beginner/intermediate, and arnis three times a week but one is invitation only. Triangle Kung Fu Arnis Academy Raleigh, NC
After looking at their websites, classes and chief instructors background, I would go to Durham School of martial arts.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Appreciate any reviews.

Hands down, Innovative Martial Arts has the best-looking website. For whatever that is worth. I find it curious that 3 of the 4 certificate photos have the same date on them. Can't say I have ever seen that before, especially given the high ranks. That would be a red flag for me.
Informationally, I would give the nod to Triangle. Simple (although plain), and direct.
Going purely off the photos & background, it does look like Innovative and the Durham school are kid heavy.
Would it be hard for you to background check the Durham schools California credentials? Sounds a little dubious.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
My vote is……..MMA and FMA combo. Potential for greatness. Can’t wait to hear your feedback!

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Appreciate any reviews.

There are things I'm not super happy with on each of the web sites.

If I had to choose one, right now, based solely on the skimming I gave the websites, I'd go with Triangle. In general, I prefer their level of disclosure and the information that they provide. Their marketing isn't completely focused on adult fitness. The pictures also at least imply that there will be other adults to train with. The main concern I'd have is how much training, as a direct student, the head instructor had with GM Presas and how much of his instruction took place at seminars and how much with GM Ward. Similarly, how much instruction did GM Ward receive as a direct student (not seminar attendee) of GM Presas? GM Ward may be utterly fantastic, but I get a bit nervous when I see someone who's a 10th degree grandmaster and the founder of 4-5 different systems and/or organizations.

As tkdroamer said, Durham and Innovative look like they are kind of kid focused. That can be fine, but the pictures of Innovative in particular make it look like the "adult" class is largely high schoolers. That might be fine too, but it's not generally my preferred environment.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. Don't do MMA.

And what ungodly hell is muay thai point sparring.
I completely missed that. I had looked over that site and saw very little info given about what their MMA is, but it was the only MMA (plus kali) option so I planned to give them a go first...now you have me questioning everything! Literally the only thing I know about their program now is they have a muay thai point sparring tournament.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you've already got a pretty good idea how to pick a school. My general advice is usually given to newbies, but I don't think it applies differently to you. Asterisk for steps you've already completed.
  1. Do a search for schools in your area*
  2. Filter out schools that you would likely be unable to attend regularly due to commute, schedule conflicts, or price*
  3. Filter out schools that you're not that excited about (for you, it seems any school that isn't FMA is out)*
  4. Try them out and see which ones you want to join
From there, you can decide based on factors such as:
  • How knowledgeable do the instructors seem
  • Do the higher ranking students seem to be better on average than lower ranking students
  • Do they seem to have the same goals you have regarding application, competition, and fitness
  • Did you have fun and get along with the other students
  • Did you feel like a valued customer
That's pretty much the same checklist that I've got. Only, I obviously can't check them out being a solid 500 miles away. So figured I'd see what online impressions were.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. Don't do MMA.

And what ungodly hell is muay thai point sparring.
Looked a bit further at their events. Along with their muay thai point sparring, they have a "Semi-contact" point boxing circuit coming up, along with "Semi-contact" kickboxing. Now I'm even more concerned.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As tkdroamer said, Durham and Innovative look like they are kind of kid focused. That can be fine, but the pictures of Innovative in particular make it look like the "adult" class is largely high schoolers. That might be fine too, but it's not generally my preferred environment.
Going purely off the photos & background, it does look like Innovative and the Durham school are kid heavy.
I agree with both of you on this. The durham photo looks like 90% kids, and innovative's 'adult' classes start at age 13. Seems a bit young for me to be swinging sticks at.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would it be hard for you to background check the Durham schools California credentials? Sounds a little dubious.
What sounds dubious about their credentials? I thought it was weird they specialize in muay thai, not jkd, with the only 'muay thai' training listed being 1996-1997, and an MMA gym with no BJJ training mentioned, but nothing that they were lying about the creds they are claiming.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are things I'm not super happy with on each of the web sites.

If I had to choose one, right now, based solely on the skimming I gave the websites, I'd go with Triangle. In general, I prefer their level of disclosure and the information that they provide. Their marketing isn't completely focused on adult fitness. The pictures also at least imply that there will be other adults to train with. The main concern I'd have is how much training, as a direct student, the head instructor had with GM Presas and how much of his instruction took place at seminars and how much with GM Ward. Similarly, how much instruction did GM Ward receive as a direct student (not seminar attendee) of GM Presas? GM Ward may be utterly fantastic, but I get a bit nervous when I see someone who's a 10th degree grandmaster and the founder of 4-5 different systems and/or organizations.
I always wonder that when I see big names like that. Had the same thought with the Durham MMA sifu citing instruction under Dan Inosanto. It's unfair in a way-they could totally have trained with those big names, but it does give me more questions about their training.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What sounds dubious about their credentials? I thought it was weird they specialize in muay thai, not jkd, with the only 'muay thai' training listed being 1996-1997, and an MMA gym with no BJJ training mentioned, but nothing that they were lying about the creds they are claiming.
I get leery when people start listing lineage connections going back to people like Lee, or Inosanto. Plus, it says only one year. Sounds like they just went to a seminar to me. Quite a lot of bouncing around from '96 to '98.
This is one of the issues of listing credentials. If you stay vague enough, you are not explicitly lying, but you sure and not telling the whole truth.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with both of you on this. The durham photo looks like 90% kids, and innovative's 'adult' classes start at age 13. Seems a bit young for me to be swinging sticks at.
I am not as familiar with specifically Arnis, but I do know in Kali we progressed backward from what you think would be normal (blade to sticks to openhands). It made you hyper-aware of hand placement and in reality, a safer training environment. I would think selling the use of a real blade to a parent is near impossible nowadays, so I doubt that is how they run group classes.

Maybe you can sleuth out which school has the largest true adult class? A higher lower limit on age and such?