New Too

V-Dawn

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been lurking for awhile now and finally took the time to register yesterday.
I found this site when I did a search for "women martial arts" and have found a ton of useful information here! (so thanks for that)
I am new to martial arts and started late you could say. Soon to hit the big 40! I started after watching my son (17) and thought "I might be able to do that!"
I knew it wasn't going to be easy, and it has not been. There are other women in our studio but the majority are younger than I.
I've never been your typical "girl" and have always enjoyed high impact activities (hence my dirtbike phase last year lol) I quit riding as I don't seem to heal as fast as I used to, so I joined Karate ( go figure)
I very recently earned my orange belt (holy cow that was almost as hard as childbirth!) and my son his purple belt in Kempo. My youngest daughter (11) just started last month :)
I come from a large family and my sisters and some brothers cannot fathom why I enjoy Kempo after seeing my bruises and hearing about writhing on the floor in pain after being caught in an armbar( ha didn't tap fast enough!)
I am hooked and I look forward to many more years of learning!
I am in no hurry to rank up especially after my last test and need to work on learning to run again...really? How does one forget how to run?!? I did...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greeting and welcome. My wife was around your age when she started martial arts with the kids. 16 years later, with the kids grown and on their own, she is still at it. She never did anything physical until her early 40s, but, looking back she says it is the best decision she ever made. She did a full marathon a few years ago, and a 15k last week-end. "never too old". :) Good luck on your training, your building memories.

OP
V-Dawn

V-Dawn

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
I seriously think I'm hooked on this training already :) ha your wife gives me hope Seasoned!
I don't know how long my son will continue to train as after his last year of highschool (this year) he plans on joining the AirForce and my 11 year old is a competative gymnast so I'm not sure how into karate she is yet...I personally enjoy the heck out of it and plan on sticking with it. I've built muscle and confidence already and can only see benefits!
Sure is better for me than sitting around playing guitar all day!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.
Congrats on getting your orange belt.
Keep us informeed of you progress and of that of your children also

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!! Kempo is a great art to learn and take your time to enjoy the process

Latest Discussions