new system

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in the process of looking into something for myself on the side to train in, TKD is my primary and the reason for the change is two folded first I need something less of a burden on my knees, second in most important my heart is not that great and needs to be less of a strees for me, I will still teach TKD but need something to help with my development and less stress.
Thanks
Terry Lee Stoker
P.S. I leave in the Dallas Ft. Worth area of Texas

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo would be a good place to start. It has more hand and arm movements than kicks like TKD has. Give it a shot.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry

Have you ever tried the filipino martial arts, my main art was an americanized version of TKD, however I started actively studying the FMAs about 13 years ago. I found that Modern Arnis and Kombatan Arnis didn't interfere with my TKD (in fact they blended quite well, footwork, kicks, stances and such).

Anyway just a thought. If you are interested I live in the North Ft Worth area, I'd be glad to discuss it with you.

Mark

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
You should consider some type of cardio training besides martial arts. Your doctor and a personal trainer can help get your heart, weight, and knees in check, which can lead to greater benefits for your Taekwondo training and teaching.I'd be surprised if your Cardiologist didn't already make a suggestion about your diet and physical activity.

R. McLain

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to agree with masherdong and the boar man, either kenpo or FMA would be a great supplement art.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hrm... gentle on your heart and knees, preferably building health without damaging already strained bits?

Not to go for the obvious, but have you considered one of the non-Chen-style TaiChi?

I'm all for some of the styles mentioned... but don't think that nay of them stand out particularly in light of your mentioned criteria.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Try TaiChi. I understand it helps stabilize the heart rate and strengthen the body.

- Ceicei

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmclain said:
You should consider some type of cardio training besides martial arts. Your doctor and a personal trainer can help get your heart, weight, and knees in check, which can lead to greater benefits for your Taekwondo training and teaching.I'd be surprised if your Cardiologist didn't already make a suggestion about your diet and physical activity.

R. McLain
I'm on a good diet and do cardio already just looking for something in the MA field for training

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Try TaiChi. I understand it helps stabilize the heart rate and strengthen the body.

- Ceicei
Agreed. It is supposed to be very good for the circulatory system and it is gentle on the knees. You should also talk with your doctor about what type of cardio pan to get on and about your dietary. A healthy body is made in the kitchen.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tai Chi and FMA come to my mind...maybe grappling, like BJJ? Judo is hard on the knees, but BJJ not so much (in my experience).

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
second in most important my heart is not that great and needs to be less of a strees for me
So it is the assertion of several people on here that BJJ training and competition, and FMA stick drills are gentle on the heart. That they do not raise the heart rate signifigantly, and would be suitable, for example, for someone with a heart condition (as the person here has expressed)?

I really must disagree. For someone at instructor-level TKD, the physical exertion in FMA may be familiar enough to not be taxing, but I've never met a good BJJer who didn't do a great deal of cardio work specifically *because* BJJ is a heavy workout.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If your focus isn't on the fighting aspect, then iaido might be a fit. It provides you a good, solid workout without the dynamic motion of kicking. Granted, there will be pressure on your knees, but it will be constant and even, as opposed to the jerky movements in unarmed MA.

If you're looking for fighting, I would agree with the above that internal MA (tai chi, pa kua, xing yi, etc.) might be good for you. Again, it provides constant, even pressure across your knees and legs while giving you balance, power, and speed (don't be fooled by the slow movements).

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Id go to my physician first, if I were you. This isnt meant as sarcasm or anything, but seriously if you are having heart issues, check with your doctor. Of course I am inclined to say kenpo based on personal experience, but kenpo can be brutal especially the sparring (which is my favorite aspect), so sure it isnt as aerobic as tkd, but you will sweat, and you prob want a doctor's opinion I would guess.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In BJJ, once eventually learns to relax. It's important. But yes, consulting a physician is a good idea!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jerry said:
So it is the assertion of several people on here that BJJ training and competition, and FMA stick drills are gentle on the heart. That they do not raise the heart rate signifigantly, and would be suitable, for example, for someone with a heart condition (as the person here has expressed)?

I really must disagree. For someone at instructor-level TKD, the physical exertion in FMA may be familiar enough to not be taxing, but I've never met a good BJJer who didn't do a great deal of cardio work specifically *because* BJJ is a heavy workout.

I disagree here. Any drills can be made to be taxing on the body, however it is up to the individual to make it so.

However you can learn another art without making it hard on your body you just have to modify your training. I have a friend you due to a very bad diease that is wasting his body, wants to learn some of the FMA stick drills I teach to try and help his coordination and such. So when I teach him I will modify the drills to help him, not make him a warrior or something. This helps him in many ways not only physical but mental as well.

So if a person wants to start training in a another art I believe the person ought to know what they want to get out of the art and adjust their training accordingly.

If Terry's heart is stressed and he wants less stress or his knees bother him then he can still learn a system without taxing him to much. I believe it boils down to what he wants out of the sytem.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With my previous post in mind I ask the following.

Terry

Have you asked yourself what you want in a new system?

Are you looking to start another tradtional martial art?

Is linage important for you, must it be part of a big organization?

Are you wanting something that your current system might not offer a lot of?
i.e. weapons training, grappling, or are you looking for something completely different in an empty hand system?

Are you looking for good quality instruction?

Do you have a realistic goal in mind for starting a new system (to train in)? i.e. are you looking for rank or knowledge, competition, do you want to master it, or take from it and blend it with your primary system?

How you answer these and rate these questions will help find the proper school, art system, or instructor for you.

FWIW I'm from the DFW area, been here for almost 30 years and been in the martial arts for 24. I might know of some instructors who you can look up depending upon what you want.

Mark

Latest Discussions