New Member-with question

avezard

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everybody

Had an encounter with some hoodies in my workplace yesterday, by luck more than anything else came out with nothing worse than a faceful of spit. But have felt anxious and stressed out for the last 24 hrs as well as carefully plotting my route to and from work. I got the adrenaline overload, the panic and the sensation of time passing in a nano second. Did not like it at all but am a stubborn sod and don't like backing down. Would like to learn a bit more composure/tactics/simple moves.

Used to be a judo player in my twenties, but now nearly fifty and don't think I could hack it any more. Have played rugby and still quite fit/supple though.

Saw a reference to Krav Maga on the internet today, blown away by it, would love to try. My son is doing karate at the moment and know he would be interested too so that's at least two of us:)

Anyone know of any clubs/training in the Ipswich area?

Love peace and chicken grease

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Second, don't talk yourself out of trying (or returning to) an art that interests you on the basis of age. There are plenty of people who start or return to an art at your age or older. There are some good discussions in the Beginners Corner about how to choose the right class, and most of them boil down to finding the right instructor rather than the right art; if you don't mesh with the instructor, the art isn't going to matter in the long run. A good instructor will work with you and your physical abilities and difficulties; a bad one won't. Look around at arts that interest you, try a few classes, and decide based on that - but don't let age stop you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MartialTalk ... enjoy!

... now, I have to agree with Kacey, don't let age be a factor. There are many of us, yes I'm one, that returned to the arts after age 40. Try various arts, some are quicker to teach self defense than others, the instructor is most important. You need to try different arts to see what clicks with you.

Good luck!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MT.

I agree with Kasey. Don't sweat the age thing, go along and give it a try, see what the instructor is like. If it doesn't work try something else.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Used to be a judo player in my twenties, but now nearly fifty and don't think I could hack it any more. Have played rugby and still quite fit/supple though.

If you can play rugby you can still train in the MA...Age is NEVER a factor..Started training in my 20's , got REAL serious in my 40's and am still training and teaching as I approach my mid 50's...

SHBKF

White Belt
Reaction score
"Age is nothing but mind over matter"

This is true but body conditions change over the years and if you haven't trained or worked out in years then it will take time to get your body back into fighting shape and according to what you described you can encounter this problem any time in the near future. There are self-defense arts that are taught where the instructor has never been in the situation you described or any situation at all for that matter. When researching a school the instructor's history is definitely a factor, if they are not in a field where their skills are being used constantly (i.e. Law Enforcement) or has actually had to use their skills on the street then they are only teaching you the theory. you don't know what you can do unless you have done it otherwise you are only assuming that this or that will happen.

If you want to learn for personal knowledge then it's okay, but if you want to learn for the possible application find an art that will not teach you how to fight but how to eliminate the threat without you going to the ground, because being a former "HOODIE" I can tell you if the person is not alone then the ground is the last place you want to be.

SHBKF

White Belt
Reaction score
"Age is nothing but mind over matter"

This is true but body conditions change over the years and if you haven't trained or worked out in years then it will take time to get your body back into fighting shape and according to what you described you can encounter this problem any time in the near future. There are self-defense arts that are taught where the instructor has never been in the situation you described or any situation at all for that matter. When researching a school the instructor's history is definitely a factor, if they are not in a field where their skills are being used constantly (i.e. Law Enforcement) or has actually had to use their skills on the street then they are only teaching you the theory. you don't know what you can do unless you have done it otherwise you are only assuming that this or that will happen.

If you want to learn for personal knowledge then it's okay, but if you want to learn for the possible application find an art that will not teach you how to fight but how to eliminate the threat without you going to the ground, because being a former "HOODIE" I can tell you if the person is not alone then the ground is the last place you want to be.

Not saying anything to discourage, but in reality he can learn an art where he will be prepared to go to work tomorrow or the next week. it didn't sound like he wanted to go to a basic skills white belt class.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am 42 and just starting out (but was training in SWAT in the Army at age 18 and 19 and used it a bit). I am training in Combat Hapkido because a lot of it feels familiar and because it was something that interested me.

Combat Hapkido is very practical as well -- probably with a similarity to Krav Maga. Worth looking into for your situation I think.

Also, and although this should not bear on much, I have MS and deal with some muscle weakness at times or muscle spasticity (spasms). Still, I feel like the Combat Hapkido is within my reach and very practical.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like everyone else said do not let age be a factor. Find what you want to do and go for it.
icon6.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Loads of good advice here. I will ask around and see what is in the Ipswich area for you.

Latest Discussions