New Martial Artist

Baketown83

White Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts is new to me as far as training. But ever since I was about 7, 8, or 9 and I saw the movie, "The Perfect Weapon" I gained an interest in Kenpo. So I have now decided at the age of 23 to train in Kenpo. The only problem is that there are no schools in the Clarksville, TN. area that I can attend. So I have turned to IKCA. I have heard the negatives and the positives, plus I know a person who is training using the video system now. He says it is what you make of it. So I have decided to try them. I was wondering what some of you out there who have trained Kenpo or are training Kenpo feel about the IKCA. Good or Bad all input is welcomed. Also if any of you have any tips for a beginner like myself please feel free to share any information you feel can help me on my journey.

Thanks,

Bake

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baketown83 said:
Martial Arts is new to me as far as training. But ever since I was about 7, 8, or 9 and I saw the movie, "The Perfect Weapon" I gained an interest in Kenpo. So I have now decided at the age of 23 to train in Kenpo. The only problem is that there are no schools in the Clarksville, TN. area that I can attend. So I have turned to IKCA. I have heard the negatives and the positives, plus I know a person who is training using the video system now. He says it is what you make of it. So I have decided to try them. I was wondering what some of you out there who have trained Kenpo or are training Kenpo feel about the IKCA. Good or Bad all input is welcomed. Also if any of you have any tips for a beginner like myself please feel free to share any information you feel can help me on my journey.

Thanks,

Bake

There have been quite a few discussions on learning from video as well as the IKCA. A quick search on the forum should turn up some info for you.:)

My suggestion would be to find a school in your area and check it out. Talk to the instructor, watch a class and if they offer a trail lesson, take advantage of that as well. One thing to remember is, nothing can replace live training with a qualified teacher.

Good luck in your search and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.:)

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Gotta a chance to watch some of IKCA introduction videos. This is your normal basic style of Kempo/Kenpo techniques.

I have many training videos, NO kempo ones...You can learn a few things.

A real class and real students to train with ,is the best way to go. Kempo has alot of short fast moves, lot of it is inside/close up most times.

Any art you take (real class) will be better. If you do move or tranfer to another state (than find a Kenpo school)... in the mean time at least you will have some type of martial art background. I would should suggest looking at "JUDO" first.

Many of us have train in several arts...all benfits each other. .....Aloha

Real classes is the way to go....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Baketown :)

Training from only from video is a really tough thing to do. It's certainly possible to learn from video but an instructor is needed to help correct and refine your form. Once habits get burned, they get very hard to break. The material in Kenpo builds on itself, so an improperly learned move can haunt the student as they progress.

Ft. Campbell is about a half-day trip away from Louisville, if I recall correctly. Martin Wheeler has a school there...I think. I know Al Tracy is in Louisville. If that kind of trip is at all feasible for you on an occasional basis...it may be worth making some phone calls, explaining your service commitment, and seeing if you can find an instructor that is willing to teach you privately a few times a month (or whatever is workable for you). A little bit of face time with an instructor is a lot better than none at all.

Wish you the best, and keep posting.

Thank you for your service sir :asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely NOTHING against the IKCA, they are good people from all that I know...
but I'd keep looking. You NEVER know how many back-yard schools or small out of the way schools are out there...
they are legion!
Keep searching.
When the student is ready, the teacher (or lesson) will arrive.

Your Brother
John

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Welcome to MT, Baketown :)

Training from only from video is a really tough thing to do. It's certainly possible to learn from video but an instructor is needed to help correct and refine your form. Once habits get burned, they get very hard to break A little bit of face time with an instructor is a lot better than none at all.

Carol is correct..I can be no further assisitance..

Latest Discussions