New Kamidana!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I thought I would post a picture of my Kamidana that is just in from Japan. Currently it is resting at my private home Training Hall but will be moved to the Main Training Hall soon. Here is the picture.

PS
Yes I am aware I do not have everything in it at this moment. It literally has just arrived.

Attachments

• $Kamidana Forum.jpg
    $Kamidana Forum.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 213
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is some info on Kamidana from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamidana

Below is a description from Dick Severance's site on the Kamiza and the Kamidana.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times]Bujinkan dojo emphasize traditional training for combat. At the beginning and end of every class, traditional rei-ho, bowing in and out to the kamidana is performed. The kamidana or kamiza, is the spiritual seat of the traditional martial arts school and consists of a small house holding a calligraphy, photo or sculpture by or of the art's founder. This is purely a sign of reverence for the tradition of our art, not a form of worship.[/FONT]

http://www.n-i-n.com/Budo_Taijutsu.html

Hope that helps.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is some info on Kamidana from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamidana

Below is a description from Dick Severance's site on the Kamiza and the Kamidana.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Georgia,Times]Bujinkan dojo emphasize traditional training for combat. At the beginning and end of every class, traditional rei-ho, bowing in and out to the kamidana is performed. The kamidana or kamiza, is the spiritual seat of the traditional martial arts school and consists of a small house holding a calligraphy, photo or sculpture by or of the art's founder. This is purely a sign of reverence for the tradition of our art, not a form of worship.[/FONT]

http://www.n-i-n.com/Budo_Taijutsu.html

Hope that helps.

Discussion of the idol/worship aspect is not relevant to this item. I think the western idea of the act of bowing to something is vastly different to the eastern idea. I look at it as just a form of honoring or showing respect to (in this case) a physical representation of the ideal and memory of the founder of the art. It is NOT an act of showing spiritual reverence to an item or person. Just as you may give up your seat for a woman, shake hands with a person you meet, or even removing your hat during the "Pledge of allegiance"; these are nothing more than physical actions to show respect or honor to another person, or memory. Side note: my father who is an ordained minister made the Kamidana for my brothers school, so he must not see any spiritual undertones to the object either.

Brian, I think it a beautiful Kamidana. Probably the nicest I have seen. You should be proud to hang that at the front of your Dojo. :asian:

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Discussion of the idol/worship aspect is not relevant to this item. I think the western idea of the act of bowing to something is vastly different to the eastern idea. I look at it as just a form of honoring or showing respect to (in this case) a physical representation of the ideal and memory of the founder of the art. It is NOT an act of showing spiritual reverence to an item or person. Just as you may give up your seat for a woman, shake hands with a person you meet, or even removing your hat during the "Pledge of allegiance"; these are nothing more than physical actions to show respect or honor to another person, or memory. Side note: my father who is an ordained minister made the Kamidana for my brothers school, so he must not see any spiritual undertones to the object either.

Brian, I think it a beautiful Kamidana. Probably the nicest I have seen. You should be proud to hang that at the front of your Dojo. :asian:

That clarifies things for me thank you.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has been my experience and observation that most Japanese are not really religious, merely superspicious. They bow to the Kamidama because that is what people do and have always done. I amuse myself by asking questions about religion to my friends, co- workers and students. It is a rare person that can tell you anything about Shinto.

So I dare say that most people bowing to the kamidama in the dojos in Japan are doing it as a form of tradition and not as any form of religion.

Don,

This has been my impression with several Japanese that I know very well.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same thing, different word. It's all in the usage. Kami is also several charcters in games and cartoons, as well as being the name of a few towns and villages. As used in the Shinto Religion, yes it is an object of worship and to focus worship. Used in a dojo, it is an honorific shelf; no more, no less. If someone has a problem with the usage in their particular dojo or training hall, then don't take part in the bow-in and bow-out.

I still say it is beautifully done and looks great Brian.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
HAHAHA, Brian, I bet you didn' t think this would stir up a debate.
Man, can we just agree it's a nice kamidana?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA, Brian, I bet you didn' t think this would stir up a debate.
Man, can we just agree it's a nice kamidana?

I can! I think it's a very nicely made kamidana, and will look great in their dojo.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is beautiful, I can see why you were so excited you wanted to post it right away!!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very nice Kamidana Brian! I really like it. You will need to give us an update picture when you get it completely set up.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian, what is the story behind your Kamidama? What is it modeled after, etc...? I'd love to hear more. :)

Latest Discussions