New in Karate

enthusiast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello!I am from the Philippines and I am currently training Shidokan

I have been training on and off for 2 years now(I have tried arts like Muay Boran and Wushu Sanshou) but I am now training everyday in Shidokan. Do you have any advice for me on how will I lose my huge belly. My belly is quite large for my physique. I am thin yet I have a huge belly, I think I can improve my speed if I just cut it down. Thanks, hope to learn extra stuff here on MT!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mmm. Welcome to MT. No idea of the best way to loose the belly if the rest of you is thin, unless there is an underlying medical condition. Cheers. :asian:

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.. general rule of thumb, years with belly / 2 = years exercise to remove.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
A lot of martial arts training isn't really going to burn fat or gain much fitness.

Try adding in 5 workout sessions per week of at least 30 minutes each, including a 5 minute warm-up jog, 15 minutes of steady cardio at at least 60% max heart rate, and 5 minutes of higher intensity intervals, finish with a few minutes of stretching. Read up on Tabata for your intervals, it's a fantastic method to gain fitness faster

Also, review your diet... work on building a quality base diet of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, nuts, legumes, and try restricting your intake of breads and pastas to only one small serving per day and ensure it's whole grain, eliminate high calorie sauces and all sugary products like soda.

It is very reasonable to loose 15 pounds of body fat in 8 weeks by eating good filling nutritious foods, eliminating crap foods, and raising your heart rate regularly.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I would have to agree with rframe when he recommends increasing your cardio and reviewing your diet.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Glad you are getting back into the arts!
Generally in my art (kenpo) bellies are "accepted" especially the higher rank you are!
I am personally doing the Body by VI challenge to get rid of my belly!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

Fat in the stomach is a body type. But like all things, can be overcome. It is a question of exercise and calorie intake. Only you can figure that out for yourself. It may not be easy. I have struggled with it most my life, going up and down. Studying a martial art should get you good exercise, but if not, increase it on your own. Walking and running are good ways, but watch the desire to eat more. The body likes to stay like it is.

Good luck with it.

Latest Discussions