new here

fst100

White Belt
Reaction score
greetings everyone. i have always been interested and fascinated with the martial arts. although i regret not starting at an earlier age, im currently 24. i have only taken introductory classes and only watched demonstrations. i do however, would like to learn and grow mentally and physically in martial arts. i was wondering if anyone could share his/her thoughts on reputable schools/dojos where i live. i'll be working and commuting between lancaster to york(work). i do hope to be more involved in this forum as i learn and have questions. TIA

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk. Sadly, I can't help you out with schools in your area. But I'd recommend you talk to anyone & everyone in your area (school owners, students, former students, etc.) about what the schools are like & what they offer. The better informed you are, the better able to make a choice that's right for you.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome.....A big part of this site and it's forums are discussions based around questions. Plus, everyone for the most part is helpful.

OP
F

fst100

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you for the notice icemansk. sorry i forgot to mention the state, lol. im in pennsylvania. i was looking at a school on hapkido, but that fell through since distance is out of the way. i took a class on tai chi. only learned the first 12 steps out of 10x steps lol. that was a fun and very concentrative class. i also watched and sorta looked into a friend's style based on japanese jujitsu-he called it oceanjitsu-or something close to that.

OP
F

fst100

White Belt
Reaction score
i always fancied learning the techniques of defensiveness and evasiveness; so that if my life is either indangered or threatened i can rely on instincts and reflexes over thought. something like aikido or hapkido would be something i would like to get into first, then once i feel comfortable would also take up, either at the same time or afterwards, learn grappling and offensive stances

BlackTiger1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations TIA. There is a very good kung fu kwoon in Stroudsburg, PA if it is in your route of travels.
greetings everyone. i have always been interested and fascinated with the martial arts. although i regret not starting at an earlier age, im currently 24. i have only taken introductory classes and only watched demonstrations. i do however, would like to learn and grow mentally and physically in martial arts. i was wondering if anyone could share his/her thoughts on reputable schools/dojos where i live. i'll be working and commuting between lancaster to york(work). i do hope to be more involved in this forum as i learn and have questions. TIA

OP
F

fst100

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the friendly welcomes. hmm i gotta see where is Stroudsburg lol. i guess i should wait a bit more until there prolly is someone who resides in the york, pa area lol....*awaits patiently

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and happy posting remember we have some very interesting people here

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Good luck finding a school - let us know what you find.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT..I too often regret not starting at an earlier age..

MMAlifer

White Belt
Reaction score
hey everyone. I am new to MMA but really enjoy the sport. I was in Portland for the IFL's Semi - Finals and a friend took me to the event. Ever since...I've been pretty hooked...

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome Fst its great to have you here.

take care,
Chang

Latest Discussions