New Here After All These Years

Roy Kamen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

My introduction:
I started Isshinryu when I was 12 studying from my brother, who wrote the Karate Kid movies.
After three years he stopped teaching to pursue his life and I switched to Shotokan under Toyotaro Miyazaki for a few months. I found the training to be a bit too militaristic for me. I was seeking something different and found Traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu of Seikichi Toguchi in his Shorei-Kan organization and studied there for 8 years, receiving a Nidan in Karate and a Shodan in Kobudo.
In 1981 I left SK and joined Chi-I-Do under Dai Sensei Kow Look Ong (Kayo).
I am now closing in on 70 and teaching Goju via Zoom and in person. The funny thing is I teach children Isshinryu now for work, always keeping Goju in the back of my mind. This has actually improved my understanding of Goju!
I also wrote a book after I had a few major revelations that changed my entire view of the Martial Arts.

In my previous working years, I was one of the top sound designers in radio / TV commercials, winning over 140 top industry awards with my studio facility in Times Square. Karate has been my passion since I was 12 years old, and I still love it and I consider myself very fortunate to be fit enough to keep practicing it.

Thank you to the creators of this site. It's great to see many of my fellow Martial Artists sharing your thoughts, ideas, and experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Roy.:)

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
A big welcome and what great journey though the martial arts! You’ve been truly blessed! I will be 68 this year and still feel in can progress (I feel that way with tennis also!) Quite a variety of MA’s and personalities here. A nice place to hang out.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

My introduction:
I started Isshinryu when I was 12 studying from my brother, who wrote the Karate Kid movies.
After three years he stopped teaching to pursue his life and I switched to Shotokan under Toyotaro Miyazaki for a few months. I found the training to be a bit too militaristic for me. I was seeking something different and found Traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu of Seikichi Toguchi in his Shorei-Kan organization and studied there for 8 years, receiving a Nidan in Karate and a Shodan in Kobudo.
I am now closing in on 70 and teaching Goju via Zoom and in person. The funny thing is I teach children Isshinryu now for work, always keeping Goju in the back of my mind. This has actually improved my understanding of Goju!
I also wrote a book after I had a few major revelations that changed my entire view of the Martial Arts.

In my previous working years, I was one of the top sound designers in radio / TV commercials, winning over 140 top industry awards with my studio facility in Times Square. Karate has been my passion since I was 12 years old, and I still love it and I consider myself very fortunate to be fit enough to keep practicing it.

Thank you to the creators of this site. It's great to see many of my fellow Martial Artists sharing your thoughts, ideas, and experiences.
Roy Sensei it's an honour to have you here, welcome :). Just wanna say I read your book (did a mini review of it somewhere in the MA book threads), and it really resonates with me deeply, got so much out of it. Right up my alley that stuff haha, and it's my current trajectory and focus in karate for sure. Thank you for writing it.

Enjoy the forum, hoping to chat much more :)

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I'm an Isshinryu karateka as well. I train in the Master Harrill and Mitchum lineage.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ed McGrath
My lineage also stems from Don Nagle, Master McGrath's sensei, via Clarence Ewing and Bob Ozman in the mid 1960's. For the past few years my lineage follows Angi Uezu, via Tsuyoshi Uechi and his senior student and USA representative, Greg Gudson.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My introduction:

Very impressive indeed.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! I never received a black belt before but I'm officially a yellow belt on this site as of today lol I look forward to seeing you earn your black belt on these forums. You have a lot of knowledge and experience and young guys like myself can learn alot from guys like you.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site....we hope tou enjoy your ime here.

Latest Discussions