New Guy in Central TX

Avenger2616

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've heard about MT a couple times and after my training partner (HerbM) put the idea in my head again, I thought I'd join. I've been active on a couple different boards for years, more posing than anything else until I moved back to Texas last year and got involved with the Central Texas Training Group in Killeen. After getting my wake up call and getting the stuff I'd been reading about beat into my head (Amok!, DBMA, Systema and some pistolcraft) I think I'm on the path I wanted to find myself on.
I'm just here to learn as much as I can. Ultimately, I think I'd like to be training combatives to people who need to learn but wouldn't ever seek instruction from the big scary specops guys that usually teach RBSD.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome aboard, enjoy.

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
I am glad you are here as well -- even though I am just about as new here as you are.

Avenger2616 is a a great training partner; I am lucky enough to have a couple like him.

Personally, I consider myself a Systema guy, and have been the moving force behind starting an AMOK! and Combatives study group in Austin, TX.

So besides Systema and AMOK!, I box 5-6 times per week, and study BJJ whenever my grappling partner is healthy.

Boxing started out mostly because it was CHEAP for a lot of classes per week (available 6 days, multiple times some days), to stay in shape, and because even though all men of a certain age THINK they can box, I had never before learned how to actually do it.

Then I sort of got the boxing bug and it's tough to stay away now so I pretty much box every day.

At 57, I am reminding Coach regularly to let me go full speed sparring and he is just about ready to make it happen. A bunch of the young guys who spar are cheering me on and encouraging Coach to put me in there.

A big part of my training philosophy for all combat arts is that until you go full speed, against a fully resisting opponent you will never know that really works and what doesn't.

AMOK! typically uses "NOK training knives" to allow for full speed fighting and resistance.

If you do knife work these things are fantastic: wooden core sandwiched and edged with neoprene (wet suit material).

Other than a strike to the eyes (wear safety glasses) or a direct stab to the throat they are very safe at full speed and the stiffness allows for blade strips and disarms.

If you are ever around Austin, let us know; you are welcome to come join us.

--
HerbM
Keep fighting -- God will tell you when you are dead.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to MT! Look forward to seeing you out on the threads.. .

nerdette_007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen...welcome to MT. I'm new here too.

Your post caught my attention-I came back to Pittsburgh for nursing school after living in Austin for several years. I can't wait to go back!

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you can find this thread so you can find us, or send me your email and I will keep you on our list for schedule updates (about once per week, and it won't likely be much more often ever.)

If you prefer, just send me an email and when I respond we will be in each others address book (just tell me whether you want schedule updates or not.)

We would love to have you join us for our practice group -- we are still a small group and don't charge anything, its just some folks who want to improve their skills in surviving criminal attacks.

--
HerbM

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've heard about MT a couple times and after my training partner (HerbM) put the idea in my head again, Ultimately, I think I'd like to be training combatives to people who need to learn but wouldn't ever seek instruction from the big scary specops guys that usually teach RBSD.

I am glad you are here as well -- even though I am just about as new here as you are.

Avenger2616 is a a great training partner; I am lucky enough to have a couple like him.

Personally, I consider myself a Systema guy, and have been the moving force behind starting an AMOK! and Combatives study group in Austin, TX.

HerbM

Welcome Gentlemen, look forward to your shared knowlege.

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
Weird part is that we both ended up here on MartialTalk separately, and I just happened to see Avenger's "new guy" post.

--
HerbM

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello from Ohio..Welcome to MT..

kungjew77

White Belt
Reaction score

So besides Systema and AMOK!, I box 5-6 times per week, and study BJJ whenever my grappling partner is healthy.

Boxing started out mostly because it was CHEAP for a lot of classes per week (available 6 days, multiple times some days), to stay in shape, and because even though all men of a certain age THINK they can box, I had never before learned how to actually do it.

Then I sort of got the boxing bug and it's tough to stay away now so I pretty much box every day.

At 57, I am reminding Coach regularly to let me go full speed sparring and he is just about ready to make it happen. A bunch of the young guys who spar are cheering me on and encouraging Coach to put me in there.

A big part of my training philosophy for all combat arts is that until you go full speed, against a fully resisting opponent you will never know that really works and what doesn't.

AMOK! typically uses "NOK training knives" to allow for full speed fighting and resistance.

If you do knife work these things are fantastic: wooden core sandwiched and edged with neoprene (wet suit material).

Other than a strike to the eyes (wear safety glasses) or a direct stab to the throat they are very safe at full speed and the stiffness allows for blade strips and disarms.

If you are ever around Austin, let us know; you are welcome to come join us.

--
HerbM

hey I'm in austin as well. I've never really had much experience with systema and would be interested to come watch or join you guys to see what its about. I've got about 20+ years in kung fu and kempo and am very willing to share any of my knowledge provided the proper circumstances.

If you are have room for another occasional observer, let me know!

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
While I consider myself a "System guy" and everything we do is highly influenced by my Systema background, the primary focus of our little training group is knife defense using AMOK! (and Systema or anything else that will make us better able to handle street attacks.)

You are entirely welcome to join us -- there is no charge as we are just a study group.

We would love to meet you -- and I will be happy to show you more of Systema if you don't get enough from what we are doing, or I can recommend a full time Systema class here.

Send me your email address PM or email to: [email protected] (I'll send you my phone and directions).

This week-end we intend to meet Sat @ 2pm and Sun at 3 pm (come one or both) in North Austin at Amherst and Adelphi (near Parmer and Mopac).

There's a thread over on the WarriorTalk AMOK! forum where with map links and where I keep it updated on our schedule: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=67616&page=4

--
HerbM

Latest Discussions