New from WA!

MissKitty

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first time on a martial arts forum, I hope to learn a lot and meet some great people.

I am getting ready to jump back into martial arts. I have dabbled in Tae-Kwon-Do (which is where I got my black belt), Hapkido, Jeet Kune Do, a style of Kung Fu (which I forgot the name of) and American Style Nunchucks.
I am hesitant in starting back up for fear of getting sucked into a poorly taught style, I hope that some of the people here may be able to dissuade my fears and get me up and running.

In other parts of my life I love and train dogs-

DSCN7129 by FoundinShadow2, on Flickr

DSCN6429 by FoundinShadow2, on Flickr

I also have, ride and work with horses

DSCN9297 by FoundinShadow, on Flickr

And I dance.....a lot.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Welcome. Where in washington are you? What style of martial art are you training in or interested in?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to you, your dogs and your horses, Kitty :bows:

It seems you have considerable experience in the martial arts from your intro, so I would have little fear that you wouldn't recognise poor teaching when you saw it. After all, every art has better and less good instructors in it's mix; it's usually a good guide that the more they charge and the more frequent the necessity of extra payments for belts, gradings, kit etc then the worse they are.

Of course, I speak from an English perspective and I know that our approach to the arts is more vocational than business-lead ... or at least it used to be.

OP
M

MissKitty

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome. Where in washington are you? What style of martial art are you training in or interested in?

I am in Olympia.
And honestly I have not decided on a style, I am looking for a style that is not as flashy as, say, TKD, possibly something that could give me a work out (though I can work out elsewhere, so this is not needed), some practicality/application would be nice. And I could care less about belt ranks.
More important than the style is that it the techniques are taught correctly and in detail.
Some of the styles I have toyed with are Sambo, Escrima, Silat etc. but really, I am open to anything.

And thank you for the welcome Sukerkin!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Miss Kitty. Great site, enjoy...................

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awww.. these are lovely pictures I would like very much to be there!! :) I bet your horses know your mind better than you know yourself they are wonderfully empathic I think :) and your doggie I would die for a big slobbery kiss :D I wish you well finding the style that fits your needs I think you have a lot of experience as Suke has said and so i am sure you would know what is what and nobody will be able to fleece you.. Welcome to MT!!!!! please tell us how you get on! and give doggie (what is doggies name please?) give doggie a big squishy hug from me :D Jx

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I agree you shouldn't have trouble finding an art and dojang that meets your needs. Did you like the Hapkido you studied, and was it from a Hapkido school or a TKD school that only taught some techniques?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MT from another female Washingtonian!

You mentioned you didn't want a poorly-taught style. Can you expound on that?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Only one I could vouch for in Olympia is Weston Vermilion, but I don't know if he is still teaching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I'm sure someone could help with a rec for a good studio in your area! We have a popular KMA and TKD section on MT, your experience is much needed and appreciated!

Latest Discussions