New England

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well they have done it 16-0, what happens now if they do not win the superbowl, will they still be the greatest team ever. My hat goes off to them they are the greatest to me anyway.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
:asian: The best I've seen at least. Plus they actually got my wife interested in watching football, so I'm not going to complain :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They have to win the Super Bowl to be the greatest team ever and it will be difficult.

That is probably true, even though if a time machine could transport any of the previously undefeated teams to right now to play the Patriots, there is no way those previous teams could compete with the size, speed, and skill of today's mediocre teams, let alone the Colts or the Patriots.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good team... no, very, very good team! Greatest ever? Hard to say. That reminds me of the discussions about who was the greatest boxer, all speculation.

I expect they will win their playoff games and the Super Bowl. But unfortunately, if they don't there will always be a "but" attached to the year. "The '07 Pats were an awesome team, but..." I think that if they do lose it will take away from an honest assessment of just how good they are.

Me, I'm still trying to live in the glory days of the '80s with my 49ers.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They have to win the Super Bowl to be the greatest team ever other wise they just go down as haveing the best season ever with a foot note saying they could not finish the job

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've already won it three times ;) [2001, 2004, 2005]

That is all in the past and does not equate to what is happening this year! Still it is an accomplishment. Yet if they do not win the Super Bowl they will not be the best but just a team that was good for a stretch this year!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chicago Bear, Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packer's and a few more all were good their Super Bowl Year or Year's. Several Super Bowl teams of years past would have a shot at beating the Patriots in a one game deal!

Now if you go back twenty five years then yes the player's now are bigger, faster and stronger so those Super Bowl winners would be a real long, long shot against the Patriots!

Bottom line the Patriots have had a great year but to be the best and claim the title they need to win it all!
icon6.gif

Which will be a tough task!!!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I had to pick one team on for one game it would probably be the Bear's nothing quite like the Fridge and Walter Payton!
icon6.gif

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is probably true, even though if a time machine could transport any of the previously undefeated teams to right now to play the Patriots, there is no way those previous teams could compete with the size, speed, and skill of today's mediocre teams, let alone the Colts or the Patriots.

Ah, but what if the time travel were not bringing an old team here, but rather sending the 2007 Patriots back in time to play a little muddy smashmouth ball in the late 1950s.... with none of the enormous spoiling and pampering of today's NFL.. I don't think a modern NFL team could even live like that for a week, much less play in it. !:tantrum:

Oh, and your opponents have been altered to reflect them having the same advantages of exercise/nutrition/training/medicine available in 2007.... not so sure at all of that outcome.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I admit in my mind it's tainted but the Ravens game. They lost that game, but just got lucky that on 4th down *they* committed a penalty (false start) iwth no chance for the Ravens to decline the penalty. So because of a penalty that the Patriots committed on 4th down, the Patriots got a do-over. That's not right

(basically they got two 4th down do-overs but at least the first one was the Ravens fault for that stupid timeout call)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chicago Bear, Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packer's and a few more all were good their Super Bowl Year or Year's. Several Super Bowl teams of years past would have a shot at beating the Patriots in a one game deal!

Now if you go back twenty five years then yes the player's now are bigger, faster and stronger so those Super Bowl winners would be a real long, long shot against the Patriots!

Bottom line the Patriots have had a great year but to be the best and claim the title they need to win it all!
icon6.gif

Which will be a tough task!!!

Where are my 49'ers Brian

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I admit in my mind it's tainted but the Ravens game. They lost that game, but just got lucky that on 4th down *they* committed a penalty (false start) iwth no chance for the Ravens to decline the penalty. So because of a penalty that the Patriots committed on 4th down, the Patriots got a do-over. That's not right

(basically they got two 4th down do-overs but at least the first one was the Ravens fault for that stupid timeout call)
Speaking of penalty calls and The Patriots, you don&#8217;t happen to be an Oakland Raiders fan?
:D

Understand when you start every football season - teams play first to win the next game - then to make the playoffs, then play to have home team advantage within the playoffs, but you are always playing with the ultimate goal to win the Super Bowl. Anything else is secondary.

I think listening to most Patriots players & fans believe that &#8211; however after weeks of once again listening to the old men of the &#8217;72 Dolphins, a.k.a. Don Shula - and more than anyone else the nonsensical ramblings from the mouth of Mercury - or is it &#8220;Cocaine Morris&#8221; - WE WANT 19-0.

Latest Discussions