New Computer - Stupid Question

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok - I have this new laptop that I'm slowly getting used to. Well, when I took it out of the box yesterday the Caps Lock key fell off. I have tried putting it back on but it doesn't stay, it flips loose. I'm sure there's a way to put this thing back on. Is is broke? What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the dumb question but it's a new computer - dammit - and the loose key is driving me crazy. lol

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SLTL, if you can't simply press it back on, you may have to glue it. Sometimes, you have to press fairly firmly to get those little buggers to stay.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't use glue ! ! !

If its a new computer, all of the keys are supposed to work. If the caps lock broke off, the device that keeps it attached to the computer may be damaged. I would take it/send it back to the place of purchase.

Last year, the "U" key came off my IBM Thinkpad. There is a sissors mechanism that holds the key in place. I could never get the key back on to the keyboard. For a while, I could press the rubber gasket/valve where the "U" key belonged to get the letter. Then, that stopped working. So I had to CTRL-C (cut) and CTRL-V (paste) the letter every time I needed it. It was a MAJOR pain in the ....

Get the computer fixed. You are going to live with it for the next three years (or more) ....

Good Luck.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry...the glue idea was not a good idea. My heads up my butt today or something.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Ok - I have this new laptop that I'm slowly getting used to. Well, when I took it out of the box yesterday the Caps Lock key fell off. I have tried putting it back on but it doesn't stay, it flips loose. I'm sure there's a way to put this thing back on. Is is broke? What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the dumb question but it's a new computer - dammit - and the loose key is driving me crazy. lol

Eh.. Take it back to the store. If it's a defect they should make good on it.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was hoping to not have to take it back but it's probably the best thing to do...

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks having to take comps back especially when you started using them already. But, that would be the best thing to do.

:ninja:

Latest Discussions