New Bo Form

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so love watching video of that young man. I could watch all you take of him.

But I can’t wait until he matures and stops overlaying music on the vids. It so takes away from the experience of watching the katas.

Unless it isn’t him that’s putting that fricken noise on there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob's new Bo form.

He came up with it and finally has gotten it cleaned up. He ran it at the State tournament this weekend. Here is the video of it....feedback and opinions welcomed....also sparring clips and his kata on the video.

Came up with it, as in he choreographed (for lack of a better word) the form? If so, that's awesome! Even if he didn't, it looks awesome!

Question; do they do any bo sparring at his school? Most that I know don't, but he's so fluid with it that it would be a shame if he didn't learn how to spar using it as well. If he doesn't, and is interested in it, it may be worth bringing it up to his instructor at some point. I would also be curious to see how he changes the focuses of the form after seeing what does/doesn't work in sparring situations.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I so love watching video of that young man. I could watch all you take of him.

But I can’t wait until he matures and stops overlaying music on the vids. It so takes away from the experience of watching the katas.

Unless it isn’t him that’s putting that fricken noise on there.

The problem is we pickup other people talking in the background....sometimes no so nice about other people....so to be on the safe side we overlay with music/noise....lol.

And videos completely muted look weird.

I will check and maybe post it without music if I can.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But I can’t wait until he matures and stops overlaying music on the vids
I don't mind the music if the video is full of highlights. But it doesn't work well when it's an entire form or match. Who ever is putting together the videos just needs some production guidance. So with that said

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Came up with it, as in he choreographed (for lack of a better word) the form? If so, that's awesome! Even if he didn't, it looks awesome!

Question; do they do any bo sparring at his school? Most that I know don't, but he's so fluid with it that it would be a shame if he didn't learn how to spar using it as well. If he doesn't, and is interested in it, it may be worth bringing it up to his instructor at some point. I would also be curious to see how he changes the focuses of the form after seeing what does/doesn't work in sparring situations.

We got to the dojo early one day and while no one was there he took pieces of three different bo forms and put them together. His Sensei liked it and they made a few small changes to help it flow better.

When it comes to Bo sparring. Not really they go over the basics and they show how the moves in the forms would be used in a Bunkai....but thats about it. Most of the weapons training is done on your own and in seminars. Most of the class time is focused on fighting without weapons.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We got to the dojo early one day and while no one was there he took pieces of three different bo forms and put them together. His Sensei liked it and they made a few small changes to help it flow good.

When it comes to Bo sparring. Not really they go over the basics and they show how the moves in the forms would be used in a Bunkai....but thats about it. Most of the weapons training is done on your own and in seminars. Most of the class time is focused on fighting without weapons.
Hmm, I would recommend that he ask and see if he can get some extra training on it before/after class. It's a lot of fun, and I get the feeling he'd have a talent for it.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good weekend of karate....and his Red Sox are winning.....Jacob is happy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It’s nice watching him mature, watching him work. I’m loving his sidekick. And he shows much maturity in his control of that kick.

I hope you continue to post his progress, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s nice watching him mature, watching him work. I’m loving his sidekick. And he shows much maturity in his control of that kick.

I hope you continue to post his progress, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

Absolutely.

There are some really great kids coming up in the org. I wish I had more time to show them as well.

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For that age especially...that is some really impressive form. It's especially remarkable how he clearly intends each strike and movement at its target rather than just going through the motions like a lot of kids that age (like myself at that age, for that matter).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacob's new Bo form.

He came up with it and finally has gotten it cleaned up. He ran it at the State tournament this weekend. Here is the video of it....feedback and opinions welcomed....also sparring clips and his kata on the video.

Very nice. He makes the transitions from "still" to "speedy" look effortless. I've enjoyed seeing his progression in the videos you've posted.

And, yeah, I kinda hate him for how easy that side kick looks. :grumpy:

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nice. He makes the transitions from "still" to "speedy" look effortless. I've enjoyed seeing his progression in the videos you've posted.

And, yeah, I kinda hate him for how easy that side kick looks. :grumpy:

The side kick is his instructors' favorite technique so he has spent a lot of time drilling side kicks into a swinging heavy bag.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The side kick is his instructors' favorite technique so he has spent a lot of time drilling side kicks into a swinging heavy bag.
The work shows.

Wait, are you saying if I actually worked on my side kick, I might get better at it??? :jawdrop:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. That's definitely easier. Unfortunately, no matter how much I practice my complaining, it never seems to help my side kick much.
Are you getting better at complaining? If not, you need to focus more on your technique. Complain smarter, not harder.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Au contraire. Seven Nation Army is always a win.

Well, ya, usually. I just don't like it when I'm watching Kata. It's like getting sand in my chewing gum.

Wow, listen to me talking about Kata.

Latest Discussions