New BJJ classes

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi guys,

There are new BJJ classes opening up in Croydon (Surrey/London area)

This is under the direction of Kevin Chan who is the founder of the Kamon Brazilian Ju Jitsu style and humble student of the great Mauricio Gomes

These classes will cater for beginners and more advanced students and all are welcome

For more details please visit www.kamonbjj.com

Classes start tonight but are on both Wednesday and Thursdays (Wednesday is taken by Kevin Chan and Thursday is taken by two purple belts)

Ive posted it here as a lot of chunners fear integrating BJJ into their wing chun. As Kevin Chan is an extremely good wing chun practitioner it should help to ease the transition and help to understand the reasons why you do BJJ

Peace out

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you get the chance, jump in with both feet first. I trained for 2 1/2 years in BJJ at novaforca in Epsom and it is a wonderful art. There is something very humbling about fighting on the floor and feeling like you have no where to go.

I wear my cauliflowering ear with pride

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to train under Kevin Chan, he has a very good reputation but alas it's too far away and the train fares have just gone up.
I recommend anyone anyone to go though and will consider them very lucky!:)

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've recently started doing a bit of rolling with a friend of mine and I've got to say, I love it.
Don't get me wrong, he's only had a bit of experience in the art from when he lived back in the UK ( I think he said he's a blue belt, but I'm not sure) but I got him to teach me the basics and now we've started rolling.
It's quite a weird experience to start with, I end up tensing up too much and wearing myself out and I can't see any of the submissions coming either. Just when I think I'm doing ok and I'm planning to get into a better position, I find myself tapping out lol.
I'd love to study this art properly but it's rare in Thailand. The nearest school is about 7 hours away.
I know our little sessions are in no way formal training or preparing me to go up against a decent grappler but that's not really the aim. I just want to get some experience training in that situation so I feel more comfortable, and besides...it's good fun.
I would heartily recommend cross training in BJJ ,so get yourself down to that class if your in the area.
icon7.gif

OP
K

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've recently started doing a bit of rolling with a friend of mine and I've got to say, I love it.
Don't get me wrong, he's only had a bit of experience in the art from when he lived back in the UK ( I think he said he's a blue belt, but I'm not sure) but I got him to teach me the basics and now we've started rolling.
It's quite a weird experience to start with, I end up tensing up too much and wearing myself out and I can't see any of the submissions coming either. Just when I think I'm doing ok and I'm planning to get into a better position, I find myself tapping out lol.
I'd love to study this art properly but it's rare in Thailand. The nearest school is about 7 hours away.
I know our little sessions are in no way formal training or preparing me to go up against a decent grappler but that's not really the aim. I just want to get some experience training in that situation so I feel more comfortable, and besides...it's good fun.
I would heartily recommend cross training in BJJ ,so get yourself down to that class if your in the area.
icon7.gif

In all honesty, it doesnt really matter whether you do formal BJJ classes or not - its good for chunners to get a feel for the ground (ie not insist that they will never get taken down)

I always say that for me, BJJ is a great fit for wing chun, but there are plenty of other ground/wrestling styles and any of them are good to play with. In Thailand you will probably find some great clinch experts from Muay Thai who can sometimes clinch very well, albeit not so much on the floor!

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty, it doesnt really matter whether you do formal BJJ classes or not - its good for chunners to get a feel for the ground (ie not insist that they will never get taken down)

I always say that for me, BJJ is a great fit for wing chun, but there are plenty of other ground/wrestling styles and any of them are good to play with. In Thailand you will probably find some great clinch experts from Muay Thai who can sometimes clinch very well, albeit not so much on the floor!

Part of the reason I used to cross train with judo was to get some experience of being on the ground but I could never find the time to attend regularly and after the recent flood the place is closed. Hopefully it'll get sorted out again this year and I can give it another go.

Latest Discussions