New and Trying to Find Direction

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol first post and trying to sell your book

[Edit - please do not quote the spammer. It just makes more for us to delete.
Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Budster.

I suggest small steps. Go see what schools are within a reasonable distance to you. Then watch a couple of classes in each.

See which ones you think you would feel the most comfortable in.

OP
B

Budster

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I have visited several schools, observed many classes, and spoke with students and instructors. I have decided to take Aikido and have decided on a school. While I did say that (in my opinion) Aikido is a beautiful art, there were a few other reasons why I decided on it.

The school I chose does practice randori. And over-hearing some of the students talk, it sounds like (subject to the student's ability and comfort level) it can get quite chaotic. Although, I do realize I will not be ready to participate in randori for some time. I do look forward to it.

Something I learned about Aikido recently is that there are virtually no explicit attacks, and no concentrated "blocks". This is perhaps why I always felt it to be so elegant and graceful. I feel another one of my underlying issues is that I'm always trying to maintain control of everything in my life. I get very anxious about things that are out of my control, and bad things that I cannot stop. I learned that Aikido is not about forcibly stopping an attack, but rather accepting the attacker's energy and re-directing it. I think this could potentially help my mental state in many ways.

Likewise, there is not a lot about attacking that interests me. I'm not an aggressive person, and I'm OK with that. I just want to be more assertive. Not more aggressive. So, Karate or Boxing might not be a good long-term fit.

One of the instructors at the school I selected made a point to discuss the "art" part of Aikido. Using Aikido as a form of self-expression. And I did not pick up on that in any of the other schools I observed. I know most (if not all) TMAs have roots in creative self-expression. But it appears (at least from my perspective) that today's schools are generally more focused on the 'martial' and not so much on the 'art' anymore. I could be wrong. That's just my perspective. But I am a very creative and artistic person. And I feel I've been missing some creative outlets in my life. So attending a school that actively brings that into training is attractive.

Thanks again. I feel confident in the decision. And if it doesn't work out, at least I tried it. I can always chose another MA or school.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I have visited several schools, observed many classes, and spoke with students and instructors. I have decided to take Aikido and have decided on a school. While I did say that (in my opinion) Aikido is a beautiful art, there were a few other reasons why I decided on it.

The school I chose does practice randori. And over-hearing some of the students talk, it sounds like (subject to the student's ability and comfort level) it can get quite chaotic. Although, I do realize I will not be ready to participate in randori for some time. I do look forward to it.

Something I learned about Aikido recently is that there are virtually no explicit attacks, and no concentrated "blocks". This is perhaps why I always felt it to be so elegant and graceful. I feel another one of my underlying issues is that I'm always trying to maintain control of everything in my life. I get very anxious about things that are out of my control, and bad things that I cannot stop. I learned that Aikido is not about forcibly stopping an attack, but rather accepting the attacker's energy and re-directing it. I think this could potentially help my mental state in many ways.

Likewise, there is not a lot about attacking that interests me. I'm not an aggressive person, and I'm OK with that. I just want to be more assertive. Not more aggressive. So, Karate or Boxing might not be a good long-term fit.

One of the instructors at the school I selected made a point to discuss the "art" part of Aikido. Using Aikido as a form of self-expression. And I did not pick up on that in any of the other schools I observed. I know most (if not all) TMAs have roots in creative self-expression. But it appears (at least from my perspective) that today's schools are generally more focused on the 'martial' and not so much on the 'art' anymore. I could be wrong. That's just my perspective. But I am a very creative and artistic person. And I feel I've been missing some creative outlets in my life. So attending a school that actively brings that into training is attractive.

Thanks again. I feel confident in the decision. And if it doesn't work out, at least I tried it. I can always chose another MA or school.
good im pleased for you, its not a life changing decision, you can change your mind at any time.

learning to be assertive doesn't take martial skills, in fact aggression is the opposite of being assertive, it tends to end with nobody getting what they want, unless they wanted a fight. though its always nice to have a '' i can take care of myself'' feeling. if i really have to.

keep us posted on your progress

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

So awesome to hear! It sounds like you have such a wonderful level of self-awareness and honesty, if you keep that you'll be able to work through any issues within yourself. A fantastic choice in martial arts for yourself, follow your own gut in all this, it sounds like you are. And yeah, definitely do martial arts for your own reasons, not the reasons others may say you should.

Let us know how you go, excited for you :)

Latest Discussions