Need your input

Is it a good idea to add non-MA subforums to the LockerRoom?

• No : It would dilute the purpose of MartialTalk

• Yes : It would flesh things out and make it more interesting

• Don't Care / No opinion

• No : It would dilute the purpose of MartialTalk

• Yes : It would flesh things out and make it more interesting

• Don't Care / No opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need some feedback.

I've noticed we have several sci-fi fans , anime fans and gamers here.

I also run another forum thats focused primarily on those areas thats not getting too much traffic.

I've been thinking about rolling in the other forum as a sub-section of MartialTalk, creating what I refer to as "The Back Room".

This would be a sub forum of the "Locker Room" which would have forums for various non-MartialArts related subjects.

Is this a good thing?

I'm looking for some feedback on what folks here think about it.

Thank you!
:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith,

If you had a direct link, and maybe allowed for people to use the same handles for a short trial period, they might be interested.

Just some crazy thoughts

Rich

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To hit the other forum (http://bbs.rustaz.com) they would have to sign up...can use same handles, theres just no cross polination between the 2 sites.

K

Kenpo Wolf

,,,because there is no such a thing as too many people in the forum. My suggestion is to not add too many sub forums at once. What follows could be some good ones and maybe all that would be needed. After all, the focus of this board is on the martial arts and we dont want to detract from that too much

Entertainment is where movies, tv series, anime and music would be discussed.

Games is where video games, rpgs, war games and boardgames would be discussed.

Sports is self explainatory

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I fear it'd detract from MartialTalk's purpose. Everyone who uses MartialTalk also uses a computer to get at it; but not everyone shares these other interests. But if done as one subforum of this forum, (The Back Room) that leads to other stuff, I don't see much harm.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by arnisador

I fear it'd detract from MartialTalk's purpose. Everyone who uses MartialTalk also uses a computer to get at it; but not everyone shares these other interests. But if done as one subforum of this forum, (The Back Room) that leads to other stuff, I don't see much harm.

Ditto

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd have to say no as well. I just think it would divert too much from the original purpose and theme of this board.

Also, it would mean a lot more work for the moderators. Being a subscriber to just one anime-related mailing list, I am well aware of the dingbats attracted to that genre, and the problems they cause.

Cthulhu

K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Cthulhu

,,,Being a subscriber to just one anime-related mailing list, I am well aware of the dingbats attracted to that genre, and the problems they cause.

I resent that remark because not all anime fans are dingbats. Just 98% of us are:)

N

Nate_Hoopes

I voted "Yes" on the new forums. I'm an avid gamer, TV watcher, and car buff outside my training in MA. I'd love to see a non-MA specific forum for these things added to here, I already frequent a Forum based on my cars, and here also but here i tend to just mirander around and read things more often that post. I think a seperate forum for those things would help us all get to know some more about eachother.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some clearer points:
- the 'new' forums would go under the 'locker room' heading, and not appear on the main page.

My intent would be to 'sort' the various threads in there for easier finding

I may (depending on how this poll goes) add 1 or 2 as a trial, and see how they work, before doing anything major. No traffic, means we just roll those threads back into the locker room and toss the subforums.

By having the diversity as a minor part, we may be able to attract more people to the forum, who may then explore our primary forums and either learn something or become a regular contributor. (They may also become a royal PITA and require serious LARTing. Ya cant tell)

I'm testing the waters, so for, against or dont care, please let me know what you think of the idea. Keep in mind that I have no intention of harming MT...just looking at possible expansion ideas to make it bigger and better.

Please, keep the feedback coming.

K

kenposcum

I really like martialtalk, so although I understand the fear that martialtalk could get diluted, I also like the idea of chitchatting about whatever.

S

sparky

Kaith

As we don't have anything invested (money wise) the desicion is totally up to you. I can see by the last posting of the stats for this site that it must eat up a ton of web real estate and if combining the two sites frees up some of your time and resources who are we to stand in your way. Besides other topics may prove interesting.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
martialTalk is currently using around 1GB of hard disk space on the server. It would be easier to maintain if the sites were consolidated, however, its not worth it to me to 'damage' MT.

I greatly value to feedback of our members here, and depending on how close things are at the end will procede from there. But please, keep the input coming. At this point, its just 1 of a few billion crazy ideas i've had. :)

D

DWright

The final decision is yours of course, but it is nice that martialtalk is THE place for martial artist, as the forum name implies.

Just my thoughts.

K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by sparky

Kaith

As we don't have anything invested (money wise) the desicion is totally up to you. I can see by the last posting of the stats for this site that it must eat up a ton of web real estate and if combining the two sites frees up some of your time and resources who are we to stand in your way. Besides other topics may prove interesting.

I very much agree with the Sparkster. You are the top dog around here, no offense meant, and it's you who has to make the final decision. I say go for it on a trial basis with no more then four subforums. If the people don't want to go to them, it's their choice.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

Ditto

Ditto again, I voted no because I don't think it contributes to the goal of MartialTalk. It also would just clutter up the threads I might go browsing through on my visits and I spend enough time here already.
:)
My primary reason for being on this site is to learn something and validate rumors and news... I have spent most of my time in the Kenpo sections, but I would like to go browse through the other arts threads as well. I would not like to get distracted further by the Back Room. :eek:

E

Elfan

As the locker room isn't huge (compared to kenpo and general MA) I don't think that spliting it up is necesary. The fact that most of the threads are MA related is a very good thing IMO. However, if the Locker room ever became one of the larger forums (for whatever reason) that splitting it up would seem like a very idea to me.

Lets here some of those other crazy ideas.

Latest Discussions