Need some insight from fellow martial arts instructors...

mjdeslon

White Belt
Reaction score
I am designing a short seminar on basic self defense/violence prevention for school age child women. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or reference material. I was originally planning on teaching some simple/effective American Kenpo techniques but after some thought decided that would be ineffective in the long run due to the audience and time constraints of this type of program. I would like to give the women a good set of mental tools along with a set of physical tools that they could realistically use with very little training. Any help with this would be great.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have been many threads started on this subject. You can do a search on Womens Self-defense and you will see a bunch of threads to review.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=265646

This is a very tough subject to tackle. It is so difficult to effectively train anyone in an hour or two. IMO, Concentrating more on the mental awareness is the best way to go.

Hope this helps.

ThatWasAKick

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've found that breaking through the "nice" barrier is the first goal for women's self-defense. Many women begin to cross that line simply by being allowed to be physically agressive for the first time in their lives.

Take focus pads and kickshields and let the girls throw some solid snap kicks and palm heel strikes. Hit them with blockers and let them throw their arms up to defend themselves - not karate style - just boxing style.

Maybe show them how easy it is for a small female to sweep a heavy male attacker on the ground in an open guard - the girls love trying ground stuff as long as it's simple (no triangle chokes). It's empowering!

As far as psychological SD... about all you'll have time for is to remind them that they are large, fierce, dangerous beings with teeth and claws... do the 'what does a jungle predator look for?" speech... recommend the Gift of Fear for adults & The Safe Zone for pre-teens.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Read and watch as many books and videos on "Women's rape prevention materials..take what you feel is workable for your style of classes.

Talk to your local police department for all information on laws,requirements,about recent cases,do's and don't, and even have a police officer give a short class on stories and preventions.

Remember keep it simple and easy to remember...because most of the women want simple/easy things they can do to escape. Plus the adrenline factor/fear...will cause them to panic.

1st thing..to teach..is how not to become a victim...how to forcus on escaping

Think of it as a fight to live..because they may get kill anyway ..FIGHT BACK ALWAYS...

Eyes,nose, slap ears,thoat, stomp the ankles,groin areas..keep the attacks simple, easy to do, and practice and practice...keep it simple

we teach the ankle stomp if the attack is every on the ground and you can get up to STOMP THE ANKLES...idea is to break them so they cannot chase you.

Most people have a hard time ripping someone eyes out...you will have to teach them to over come any compassion for the attacker....the rapist is doing more than just a sexual act....read all you can about this!!!

So much information on line....KISS (keep it simple stupid)...always...Aloha

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still Learning has a great list. The only thing I would add is teach them to scream. Many women don't know how to really yell, and, if attacked, won't scream. Even when teaching SD classes, I have trouble getting women to yell loudly enough to call for help - although the best method I've found to get them to do it is to have a girl from my TKD class come in and demonstrate - most women are willing to try something a 10 year-old girl does well. Muggers and rapists want, most of all, to not draw attention to what's going on - being able to yell, loudly enough to be heard some distance, is a necessary tool for self-defense.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And make sure they are shown how to handle it whether or not the attacker starts with his or her right or left.

I have seen many of these seminars and although I really believe they are a good thing to give, many of the people giving them have stopped the supposed attacker with "no use your other hand"

Just my 2 cents.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First it must be simple and effective. Not something That put a woman or child where they think if they hit they get away. eye pokes groin and throat . Draw attention to there self by screams drop to the ground and resist. Run. Use visual sence park in well light areas. Do not over indulge in drinking around not well known people. Trust there instincts. Several schools put on like 3 to 6 week woman self defnces courses and try to teach things that would never really help because it just does not work in a short term training. VEry simple is a must.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mjdeslon said:
I am designing a short seminar on basic self defense/violence prevention for school age child women. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or reference material. I was originally planning on teaching some simple/effective American Kenpo techniques but after some thought decided that would be ineffective in the long run due to the audience and time constraints of this type of program. I would like to give the women a good set of mental tools along with a set of physical tools that they could realistically use with very little training. Any help with this would be great.

teach what you know, period. apply it to the situation.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have taught a few young children/parent groups SD

The most important thing is AWARENESS and tools to stay away, then how to get away

then any GROSS MOTOR multi attacks (power slap, palm heel, knee, front kick)

but most Situations can be avoided by some simple awareness skills

Garth Barnard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Samurai69 has pretty much nailed it. Awareness and Avoidance should be top of the agenda, with training aids, such as explaining Col Jeff Cooper's Colour Codes for awareness. Once you've covered Conflict and Adrenaline Management you can then move onto very basic, Gross Motor Skill, techniques.

Keep the physical techniques simple, with straight palms, chin jabs, knees, elbows, gouges, etc, etc.

Remember: Easy to teach = Easy to learn = Easy to apply

Take care,

Garth.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Barnard - good to see you! Have you considered posting a thread in Meet & Greet for those who don't know you?

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've done several self defense seminars for woman.

The best advice, keep it short, simple, and effective.

Anything complex, long, or multi faceted will either not be understood, or will be forgotten shortly after they leave the seminar.

Their are lots of WS's out there for women and kid safety awareness, spend a little time googleing.

Latest Discussions