Need reccomendation for striking art from limited options

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I teach private lessons in Karate out of Worcester, but at this point in time, am not accepting new students (except under rare circumstances). I suggest (from experience of meeting and watching) Dave Staple's Kenpo Karate. It's Ed Parker all the way. Good luck!

http://www.stapleskenpo.com/

OP
N

nytmare

White Belt
Reaction score
The advice to look for a boxing program is a good one--a gym, the YMCA, etc. Judo/wrestling is an excellent adjunct.

[/size][/font][/color]

From this list, Bando is your best bet...if all the instructors are equal. Of course, they aren't. But Bando has a Muay Thai-style kickboxing component, and if it's emphasized then you'll get what you are looking for, I'd wager.

Kung Fu is a very generic term...do you know the style?

arnisador,

the Bando place -
intrigued me but the advice from many have been to avoid this place since they seem to emphasise form champions and katas more so than sparing. What do you think from their website? http://www.bandoofnewengland.com/

The Kung Fu place -
I can't find anything that specifically says what style it is on their website, although i do see this text and have no clue what it means ... "Looang Foo Pai" and "Huan Shou Gong Fu"

OP
N

nytmare

White Belt
Reaction score
I teach private lessons in Karate out of Worcester, but at this point in time, am not accepting new students (except under rare circumstances). I suggest (from experience of meeting and watching) Dave Staple's Kenpo Karate. It's Ed Parker all the way. Good luck!

http://www.stapleskenpo.com/

Thanks Shaun,

I just found out that evidently there is some MMA training camp type place concealed in a brick building some where near webster square. Supposedly there are MMA fighters training people in Muay Thai and BJJ there.

Do you think staples kenpo would be a better choice?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would probably give the Bando school a shot anyways. But then again, I have a kukri fetish.

Jeff

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
My Dojo is about 35 - 45 min from worcester it is in Orange ma.
I teach Shaolin kempo and My school also Now can teach kosho Ryu Kempo there are only (2) schools in Mass That can. Under Hanshi Bruce juchnik. there is also a kosho Kempo school in your area...
I also teach ground work. I took a long look at the Comb. in shaolin and made changes to work in the street issues. Please feel free to come down and take 2 weeks free and go from there. I also do not deal with a 1 punch teaching... the second or third is trying to come and hit you. A journy of a 1000 miles starts with 1 single step... GOOD luck I also do private classes and have 2 spots left. in that aera...
here is the info. I teach and train my students hard... please check out the web site and info... If I can help let me Know Best of luck with your choice...
Massachusetts Plus My cost are low

Shaolin KempoTraining Center
(School of natural law)
Stephen E. Bonk - Head Instructor
Orange, MA 01364
978-544-9693

www.shaolinkempotraining.com

Kosho Ryu of Central Massachusetts
Ray Erlandson-Head Instructor
339 Granite St., Worcester, MA 01607
508 792-9399
[email protected]

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nytmare, if you're looking for a striking art, I think Staple's Kenpo will be your best avenue. If you're looking to get into the MMA/BJJ camps, then this place is pretty good:

http://www.worcesterbjj.com/

But if you want an art with a lot more striking, and a lot less grappling and wrestling, Staple's is the way to go.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say go talk to the instructors of the ones that appeal to you most. Personally - I'd go with either Kenpo or Muay Thai. They're the most practical for "putting them down-now" - presuming you have a good instructor.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go into each school and talk to the instructors. Ask if they have an introductory class where you can "try out" the school. I give this advice to potential students that come to me for instruction as well as everyone else. You may find that any one of the styles you have listed are a good fit for you, but keep your mind open to other schools that may open up in your area. New instructors are opening up new schools all the time.

thewhitemikevick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are there no boxing gyms in your area? :( If you're looking to incorporate hand-based striking techniques, the majority of what you see on the street, boxing teaches you how to absorb punishment, how to avoid punishment, and how to make damage. But out of the available applications that you listed, Kempo seems to me like your best choice. As much as I like the idea of Akido and Kung Fu, Akido isn't quite as practical as Kempo in my opinion, and Kung Fu, while it teaches both valuable philosophy and extremely valuable physical skills, it's application to real-world street fighting situations isn't always ideal. All the martial arts listed are great in their own ways, but in your case I would suggest Kempo.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
out of the available applications that you listed, Kempo seems to me like your best choice.... Akido isn't quite as practical as Kempo in my opinion, and Kung Fu, while it teaches both valuable philosophy and extremely valuable physical skills, it's application to real-world street fighting situations isn't always ideal. All the martial arts listed are great in their own ways, but in your case I would suggest Kempo.

Mike---can you expand a bit on your thinking in this assessment? I'm just interested in what it is about kempo that strikes you as the best MA for street-defense. I myself love the flow in the kenpo/kempo demos that I've seen, though TKD is my art, but I'm really curious about what it is in particular that kempo has which you find especially good as a street-combat art... :asian:

Latest Discussions