Need info on Movement

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
All, I am doing a paper on movement for my 3rd Dan test, what part does movement play in the study of Martial Arts, I think this is relevant to any style or person.

I would like to hear your views, name of books, websites, comments and or opinions.

This is not for any kind of financial gain, only for a lowly old Edan trying to move forward.

I know there is some great info here at Martial Talk.

That you, everything will be greatly appreciated.

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What part does movement play in the Martial Arts?

a) the best block is to move out the way! (itamakawari? - i can't remember the karate term for body movement)

b) as the attacker moves, you have to move with him to compliment his changing attacks with new defences

c) movement in your free-fighting stance and dummy lunges can make it difficult for the opponent to guess when and where your real attacks are coming

how much do you have to write?

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mjd,

What an interesting topic!

I would say that movement is the foundaiton of all Martial Arts! It allows youi to avoid attacks, to generate power, to position yourslef to apply techniques and to solidify your position to execute without comprimising yourself. It really is the basis for everything!

Rob

dtfrank

White Belt
Reaction score
Do a search on "tai sabaki". That should get you started.

David F.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
look at it as if your practicing your forms. your movement is a work of art and your attitude is the colors. it can be dull to view or even ugly, or it can be graceful and/or soft or it can be vilentand strong and forcefull.

with respect
painstain

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just wanted to add, keep in mind your center of balance when moving, NO bouncing in movement, keep your center low,shifting from one position to another...keep balance, if moving front..most times front leg moves first..when moving back...back leg moves first. Space and distance...and quickest depends...on you and the attacker...research this further....hope this will a little help for your paper......Aloha

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
mjd said:
what part does movement play in the study of Martial Arts

Can you be a little more specific? That is like asking how sound is associated with music. What is music without a physical medium for vibration? What is martial arts without physical movement?

Salute,

Steven

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I would include 'stillness' along with the movement piece. Inner calm ... seeing what needs to be done and doing it (fushin is the Japanese term, I think) are essential to making your movement mean something.

Will you be posting your finished paper for us to read? I'd be very interested.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mjd my sugestion is to search the forums for SL-4 or Sub Level 4. Mr. 'Doc' Chapel has broken down movement into incredible detail.

Latest Discussions