Need advice on what's best for me for self-defense

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the op asked for self-defense.
any martial art or also combat sport will be a good start for that. what i meant with kickboxing is, that they do the same basics than other striking arts (not to mention it originated from them) and is anyway very effective (i even say much more effective then the fighting style of wtf or wkf).
so if one's not sure if he want to learn japanese and korean terms and do show stuff for belt tests and the like, but don't want to wait with starting training, kickboxing would be a good beginning. he already trains basics (in a more effective way than with forms) and can besides search for a specific self defense system were he can use his now learned basics very well (also when getting attacked in the meantime).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the op asked for self-defense.
any martial art or also combat sport will be a good start for that. what i meant with kickboxing is, that they do the same basics than other striking arts (not to mention it originated from them) and is anyway very effective (i even say much more effective then the fighting style of wtf or wkf).
so if one's not sure if he want to learn japanese and korean terms and do show stuff for belt tests and the like, but don't want to wait with starting training, kickboxing would be a good beginning. he already trains basics (in a more effective way than with forms) and can besides search for a specific self defense system were he can use his now learned basics very well (also when getting attacked in the meantime).

The OP has yet to start any martial art so has not trained basics in anything.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
His statement was "[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in muay thai, karate, taekwondo, ju jutsu, hapkido, krav maga..." What exactly is your problem with that statement?

[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in muay thai?
[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in karate?
[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in taekwondo?
[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in ju jutsu?
[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in hapkido?
[kickboxing] techniques are like or included in krav maga?

While a lot of this is pretty broad, particularly ju jutsu, I don't really see much to find fault with. Most modern kickboxing has a pretty basic set of kicks and punches. In general most martial arts, such as the ones he listed, do in fact include basic kicks and punches, often identical or similar to, that found in most kickboxing. So what's the problem? Do all of those arts, and others, include more than just a simple and abbreviated set of basic kicks and punches? Pretty much, yeah. But they do include those basic ones.

So what's the problem?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

What exactly is my problem? People who keep taunting me with the question as to what my problem is I guess. :p :)

Seriously, I see how you understood MAFREAK's statement. I understood him to be saying the techniques of kickboxing had been incorporated into all the other MA he mentioned, from kickboxing. If you read it, I think you can see how I might have understood it that way. MAFREAK has now stated he meant it like you understood. Good on you, you were better than me.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What exactly is my problem? People who keep taunting me with the question as to what my problem is I guess. :p :)

Seriously, I see how you understood MAFREAK's statement. I understood him to be saying the techniques of kickboxing had been incorporated into all the other MA he mentioned, from kickboxing. If you read it, I think you can see how I might have understood it that way. MAFREAK has now stated he meant it like you understood. Good on you, you were better than me.
Oh. OK then. Nevermind.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm male 29 and want to learn self-defense due to certain events which are taking place in europe.

But I don't know what would be best for me.

First of all, are there systems which are clearly better than others or at least more useful for beginners?
I want to do something which gives you results as fast as possible.
But I don't want something too brutal like krav maga where you simply kick,punch,hammer at the attacker
until he gives up. I see no real system in this it seems like random defense moves.

I'd rather learn a system of self defense which offers more than a few drills for different life event situations.
Like for example if somebody chokes you from behind then you do ABC. If somebody grabs you by the balls then
you do DEF and so on.
Cause if you only have solutions for scenarios you trained then what do you do if you're in a scenario which you did not train!?
These are some of the things I thought about.

What I also ask myself is which defense system is most complete so that it could deal with attackers which use
other defense systems? Are there systems where you can clearly say that they offer the best solutions for being attacked by other fighters like boxers,wrestlers,kickboxers,karateka...?

I watched some videos about Silat and Wing Chun and found them interesting. It's cool how they use their arms to counter attacks and to block. This looks impressive.
I also heard that wing chun is so good because it uses the optimal fighting distance which is close to the enemy while other arts like boxing don't get so close. I dont know if this is true or not.

some background infos:
I'm not flexible and can't do any high kicks is this an issue? If yes I could try to do stretching but I dont know how to do this without pain.
I am also not physically strong. I'm pretty skinny. Being skinny means you cannot hit as hard as others who ate stronger this sucks.

You were asked this once and have never responded. Where are you located? This is, for obvious reasons, going to determine your options.

As others have noticed, there is not real shortcut to self-defense, but there are systems which have basics that are more readily transferable than others in shorter time period, particularly against the average street tough or bar patron with little to no formal training. Other systems might have just as high of a ceiling but perhaps their fundamentals, which are learned early on, don't transfer as well.

Don't worry about scenarios now, worry about acquiring solid fundamentals in striking, ground fighting, and weapons use/defense. I'll probably be accused of promoting what I study, but the truth is that I tried several things before I ended up where I am at now, made some pretty deliberate choices in regards to what I have tried, and left. You may not be able to do all three of those things at once, but if you can get yourself into one of them to start with, you will be on the road.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest at this point I think if the OP took up Taebo or Boxercise it would be something to applaud.

Latest Discussions