Need a little help in Portland, Oregon

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sister needs to take her hubby to OHSU hospital in Portland, Oregon from August 30 to September 9. They need a hotel that is a) close to the hospital, b) close to public transportation and c) does not cost a fortune.

She does know how to use Google and I've turned her on to www.tripadvisor.com, but if anyone here has any first-hand suggestions that they could pass along, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is easy access along an express bus route along Highway 10 in Raleigh Hills. The other easy bus access is from downtown. Unfortunately, it's been more than 7 years since I lived there, so I can't recommend a specific hotel.

I earned my Masters from OHSU, and my wife had to go through extended surgery and attendant complications there. He will be in good hands.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never been to Portland so I can't recommend something personally. But I'm guessing OHSU has a rather large hospital. Personally I wouldn't rule out calling the hospital and asking for suggestions...the hospital likely has arrangements for a discount rate with hotels in the area much like corporate organizations do.

Good luck to everyone...hope everything goes as well as possible :asian:

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I found. Even though I live in this area I don't know Hotels very well. But this hotel here is right next to OHSU.

http://www.portland.com/portland/lodging/the-inn-at-marquam-hill/

The #8 buss line runs fairly often through OHSU, though it's usually crowded. And around 4:00-5:00 in the evening it's slowed down a lot by the traffic jam of everyone getting off work.

But if that turns out to be to expensive, you can take a look at the others I found on the other map. The Hilton, Modera, and Portland Inn I believe are the closest to the 8 buss line in downtown.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=serp&q=hotel portland oregon downtown 97201&um=1&ie=UTF-8&

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks! I am going to get that info to my sister right away. Very kind of you!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of hospitals today -- especially if they've got a reputation for a certain treatment or procedure -- have someone on staff who specializes in helping the families of patients with these sorts of issues. It's a good idea to talk to the hospital or doctor's office about it.