National MA Institute in China ?

coolmartialartist

White Belt
Reaction score
Korea has Taekwondo headquartered somewhere in Korea. Japan has the Kodokan.

I am sure Muay Thai institute is located somewhere in Thailand.

Where is China's national martial art institute located at ?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
China is home to over 800 different styles of martial arts according to some estimates. Which art do you want them to have a headquarters for?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spiritually speaking, many would say the Shaolin Temple, but as David said, that will not be the case for many Chinese arts.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
China is home to over 800 different styles of martial arts according to some estimates. Which art do you want them to have a headquarters for?

There are national Wushu organizations... but I don't know anything about them, since that's not what I do. I will say that the day the Chinese government ever succeeds in regulating and setting up uniform, committee approved standards for its diverse martial traditions would be a sad day indeed. Thankfully, I believe this goes against the independent character of the Chinese Martial Artists I've met, and I cannot imagine it ever happening.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shaolin
Wudang
China Wushu Association (Chinese)
Multiple Universities
Chen (Chenjiagou)
Beijing (Xingyi, Bagua, Yiquan, Northern Wu style, etc)
Hong Kong (Ip family)
Chin Woo Athletic Association (Jingwu Tiyuhui)
Multiple Training Centers in multiple cities
ETC.

Styles of Wushu (partial list)

China is considerably larger than Thailand, Korea and Japan and I believe has considerably more styles of Martial Arts styles as well.

KnightlyMongoose

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe, at least some point in the past, that the Chinese government made an attempt to regulate and unify it's country's martial arts. Although I'm pretty sure this just culminated in the creation (or perhaps it's better to say streamlining) and rule organization of modern wushu. I'm not even sure how China currently views it's traditional non-wushu martial arts. I've heard stories, though I'm not sure if there's any truth to them, of the Chinese government discriminating against it's traditional martial arts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe, at least some point in the past, that the Chinese government made an attempt to regulate and unify it's country's martial arts. Although I'm pretty sure this just culminated in the creation (or perhaps it's better to say streamlining) and rule organization of modern wushu. I'm not even sure how China currently views it's traditional non-wushu martial arts. I've heard stories, though I'm not sure if there's any truth to them, of the Chinese government discriminating against it's traditional martial arts.

It’s all Wushu.

Wushu is the proper term for Chinese Martial Arts not Kung Fu. Kung fu translates as hard work.

Chinese view it all as Wushu whether it is the performance type or the hard core traditional.

There is a Government Wushu Org but all it basically does is make up rules for competition and give out ranks that were never part of Chinese martial arts before and in most traditional styles still don't much matter

KnightlyMongoose

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you know if the current government approves of traditional wushu? Do they simply not distinguish between the traditional styles and the sport? I've heard stories of people fleeing to Taiwan to teach matial arts, but maybe that was merely for non martial art based political reasons.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do you know if the current government approves of traditional wushu? Do they simply not distinguish between the traditional styles and the sport? I've heard stories of people fleeing to Taiwan to teach matial arts, but maybe that was merely for non martial art based political reasons.

People fled to Taiwan and Hong Kong when the communists first took over (1949) and then again during the cultural revolution (1966 to 1976). the most dangerous time for just about ANYTHNIG thought of as traditional, be it martial arts, music, calligraphy etc, was during the cultural revolution.

Today in China they don't care about any of it. Traditional CMA is all over the place. The Lineage holder for Yiquan is in Beijing (the capital) and has a rather large school, Northern Wu style is based there, there is a Chen family branch there, I believe the Yang family was or is there and there, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, Tongbei, Wing Chun and all being taught there and there are traditional teachers of multiple styles all over Beijing. You will also find BJJ, Muay Thai and Kendo in Beijing. They are in private schools, houses and parks. You will also fid Sanshou and modern Wushu all over as well.

But you will find this all over China, I am just using Beijing because that is where the government is and it is what I know best.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is no one headquarters for martial arts in any country. There are multiple organizations for Tae Kwon Do in Korea. There are a large number of organizations in Japan for a large number of styles, 'the' kodokan would be for Judo, not for all Japanese styles. There is no one headquarters for Muay Thai in Thailand. Chinese MA is the same way, as you can see from Xue's post.

Latest Discussions