National Characteristics

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all know that stereotypes are of very little use for determining the nature of a person we do not yet know, tho' we still all make use of them in our minds I think. Likewise, we all tend to make use of them when thinking about the characteristics of nations. I recently read an article on the BBC about the authors sense of this about the four countries he has lived in for significant amounts of time during his life. In that article there was a snippet about Britain that resonated strongly with me, words that had me nodding in an affirmation of the writers perception:

"About Britain, and to conclude alliteratively, as I suppose I must, I think there the core irrationality is inwardness. I think of this as Greenwich Mean Time syndrome - the belief that the time in the UK is the true time in the world, that British values and manners are the obvious norm for values and manners everywhere. Just the way the world should be."

For me, at least this, rings true; the notion that if only everyone could be more like us everything would be so much better and far less fractious and unpleasant :).

I was wondering if any of our members here have ever read or heard anything about their own countries that similarly encapsulated a small 'truth' amidst a stereotype?

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit that I have found the British to be quite polite and proper. But also gifted with a totally psychotic sense of humor. Only the Brits could bring us Monty Python and Benny Hill. I think a core stereotype of Americans that may be largely true is our tendency to overshare. On the whole, we really do open up with near strangers and share remarkably private details. I find it charming usually. I suspect it makes the British uncomfortable. Am I right in that suspicion?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit that I have found the British to be quite polite and proper. But also gifted with a totally psychotic sense of humor. Only the Brits could bring us Monty Python and Benny Hill. I think a core stereotype of Americans that may be largely true is our tendency to overshare. On the whole, we really do open up with near strangers and share remarkably private details. I find it charming usually. I suspect it makes the British uncomfortable. Am I right in that suspicion?

Actually, I don't mind if you do share too much. It does get uncomfortable where in American culture it's seemingly OK to begin a small talk conversation with a compliment, whatever the relationship of the speakers might be. That's sometimes a little over friendly for a reserved Brit.

Interestingly, on the scale of direct to indirect communication, the UK is at the same end as China and Japan, whereas the US is at the same end as Germany, and Brazil. So I sometimes experience the same kinds of discomfort with the Germans!

Gnarlie

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I don't mind if you do share too much. It does get uncomfortable where in American culture it's seemingly OK to begin a small talk conversation with a compliment, whatever the relationship of the speakers might be. That's sometimes a little over friendly for a reserved Brit.

Gnarlie

Really? Then I shall endeavor to insult the British whenever the opportunity arises.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We all know that stereotypes are of very little use for determining the nature of a person we do not yet know, tho' we still all make use of them in our minds I think. Likewise, we all tend to make use of them when thinking about the characteristics of nations. I recently read an article on the BBC about the authors sense of this about the four countries he has lived in for significant amounts of time during his life. In that article there was a snippet about Britain that resonated strongly with me, words that had me nodding in an affirmation of the writers perception:

"About Britain, and to conclude alliteratively, as I suppose I must, I think there the core irrationality is inwardness. I think of this as Greenwich Mean Time syndrome - the belief that the time in the UK is the true time in the world, that British values and manners are the obvious norm for values and manners everywhere. Just the way the world should be."

For me, at least this, rings true; the notion that if only everyone could be more like us everything would be so much better and far less fractious and unpleasant :).

I was wondering if any of our members here have ever read or heard anything about their own countries that similarly encapsulated a small 'truth' amidst a stereotype?

One of the things someone said to me here in Germany that rings true about British indirectness:

"Someone told me that if a German guy doesn't like your shirt, he'll tell you he doesn't like your shirt. If an English guy doesn't like your shirt, he'll tell you he likes your shoes."

Adequately demonstrated in this awesome routine from Reginald D Hunter:

Gnarlie

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really? Then I shall endeavor to insult the British whenever the opportunity arises.

That's probably quite a good idea, we are so used to sarcasm, to insulting and mocking one another that we don't really know how do deal with a sincere compliment.

I'd go as far as to say that we might even read it as sarcasm...

Gnarlie

Latest Discussions