Naginata

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought a training naginata from Ed Martin when I was at Buyu camp. I am anxious to begin working with it. Although, I don't know really know how to use it.

I am speculating from a taijutsu perspective, it seems to have the combined feel of the bo and the sword. I would like to know if like the sword it is for slicing, or is the naginata used for "chopping", or both. I think I can feel how the blade can slice with the body movement, much like a sword, but as I watched a few naginata videos on youtube, it seems as though many of them where chopping.

I would like for some pointers with the naginata, if someone would be so kind. Thanks.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A good video for this is the Naginata video by Soke. Chopping, slicing and moving with your taijutsu naturally is the key. Do not forget that you can use the stick end as well.

I have several of Ed Martin's Naginata's, yari's and they really do take a beating. His equipment is always a good purchase in my opinion. (plus the price is right)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let us know how your practice with it goes. I have always thought it looked like an interesting weapon to learn

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good video for this is the Naginata video by Soke. Chopping, slicing and moving with your taijutsu naturally is the key. Do not forget that you can use the stick end as well.

I have several of Ed Martin's Naginata's, yari's and they really do take a beating. His equipment is always a good purchase in my opinion. (plus the price is right)

I agree with you about Ed's training equipment! You can feel the quality when you hold the weapon in your hand. I am going to buy a yari, bokken, and cane from him next time.

I will buy the naginata video. Thanks for the info! :)

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let us know how your practice with it goes. I have always thought it looked like an interesting weapon to learn

I will do that. I went outside yesterday evening and moved around with it, much like the bo, but there is a business end too! LOL I just moved with it for a few minutes. I was trying to keep my movements small and direct, without the wide sweeping motions as if I were in a hallway. I cannot wait to do more.

First I need to treat the wood with some oil and sand it some more to make it ready. I am going to buy the supplies this weekend sometime.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing you can do as well Dave is to paint the business end so to speak or the end of the stick before the blade. You can also just wrap the end of the stick before the blade with tape to give you a visual of
where the blade is always. Love these Naginata and you can tell that
the guy's who do his woodwork definately know what they are doing.

Here you can see mine at the back of our Training Hall way up at the top!

Website%20Training%20Hall%20Photo.jpg

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to do a lot of training with the Naginata from Jodan no Kamae, Seigon no Kamae and Ten Chi Jin no Kamae. Simple things like working against a sword weilding attacker who attacks straight down from Jodan no Kamae (high posture with sword overhead) to using the length of the Naginata to easily reach the opponents neck and following with a push cut. Simple yet beautiful!
icon10.gif

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing you can do as well Dave is to paint the business end so to speak or the end of the stick before the blade. You can also just wrap the end of the stick before the blade with tape to give you a visual of
where the blade is always. Love these Naginata and you can tell that
the guy's who do his woodwork definately know what they are doing.

Here you can see mine at the back of our Training Hall way up at the top!

Website%20Training%20Hall%20Photo.jpg

Nice looking school! :)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought a training naginata from Ed Martin when I was at Buyu camp. I am anxious to begin working with it. Although, I don't know really know how to use it.

To be blunt, I think you should get some real instruction in it from a real teacher.

You need good taijutsu to use a weapon like a sword or naginata. But just because you have good taijutsu does not mean you know how to use a sword or naginata. I have seen many people come into Someya dojo who had thought they knew how to use a sword find out they could not even cut with it.

I think the same lesson might apply here.

teisatsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Don here. The nagi is a challenging weapon. In my experience, it is a bit of a hybrid (both in form and use) of the sword and the staff. Best to obtain some competant instruction.

Having seen one of Ed's naginata, I can say that I have a bit of an issue with the design... assuming that the design hasn't changed. Because of the blade, and the subsequent need to keep track of the edge's orientation, the shaft on the naginata should be ovate in shape. As is the tsuka on a sword. The narrow side being in line with the edge of the blade. On the other hand, on the example that I have seen, the nagi of Ed's has a round shaft similar to that of a bo. This is fine for weapons where there is no benefit to striking with one "side" or another but with blades it is useful to have a means of orientation both for safety and effectiveness.

Hope that helps.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is fine for weapons where there is no benefit to striking with one "side" or another but with blades it is useful to have a means of orientation both for safety and effectiveness.

Actually the blade end is tapered in such a fashion it is clear where the blade is. I don't think that will be an issue with this one.

teisatsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good to know that design feature has been changed for the better.

Tenchijin2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure Dave is on the same page, Les.

Dave, to be clear, Les isn't describing the taper of the blade cross section. He's describing the shaft. The ENTIRE shaft of the naginata should be 'teardrop' shaped in cross section, with the narrower end of the teardrop being 'inline' with the blade for tactile reference.

I think Dave is describing the blade portion itself.

Unless I missed something.

Just trying to be helpful in my usual know-it-all way.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ENTIRE shaft of the naginata should be 'teardrop' shaped in cross section, with the narrower end of the teardrop being 'inline' with the blade for tactile reference.

That is not the way my naginata I own feel like. They are just simple ovals. You can tell which side is the flat of the blade, but the rear and front feel the same in the models and wooden traininers I bought in Japan.

Tenchijin2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think oval is a standard design. It might be that the teardrop design was specialized.

I've only seen a couple that would allow me to draw the conclusion, but round they were not.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure Dave is on the same page, Les.

Dave, to be clear, Les isn't describing the taper of the blade cross section. He's describing the shaft. The ENTIRE shaft of the naginata should be 'teardrop' shaped in cross section, with the narrower end of the teardrop being 'inline' with the blade for tactile reference.

I think Dave is describing the blade portion itself.

Unless I missed something.

Just trying to be helpful in my usual know-it-all way.

I wasn't sure if that what was meant. Yes, only the blade portion is shaped appropriately. Let me ask... Is a real naginata shaft teardrop shaped? Or are you saying it should be that way for the training naginata?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you post some pics? I'd like to see :)

Latest Discussions