MY Virus and Security Problems

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
Early this morning I suspected I had a virus on my system, so I ran a scan using McAfee. Sure enough, I was right.

Now, after being back on MT, the virus is back too. My Spyware is also finding all sorts of things that I cleared off yesterday.

It seems they have some serious problems here. Be careful and scan often.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reoccuring virus/spyware is typically caused by the kernel of the malware not being removed by the scan. The problem keeps coming back because it never went away in the first place.

Try scanning with other applications and double-checking the obvious stuff...uptodate def files, full scanning options checked.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialTalk has NO spyware, does not install any virues, etc.

Use Adaware and Spybot to do a deep check and clean of your system.
I recommend Grisoft anti virus. Free, Fast and reliable. McAfee and especially Norton are none of those.
Install a firewall such as ZoneAlarm
Stop using Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox.
- Install AdBlock Plus

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
MartialTalk has NO spyware, does not install any virues, etc.

Use Adaware and Spybot to do a deep check and clean of your system.
I recommend Grisoft anti virus. Free, Fast and reliable. McAfee and especially Norton are none of those.
Install a firewall such as ZoneAlarm
Stop using Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox.
- Install AdBlock Plus

Bob, are you saying Norton is unreliable? That's what I use..I've never had any problems...
I also run Spybot and Adaware. I also like SpyBlaster which stops alot from getting on the computer in the first place.

Can you provide a link for Grisoft? Do I have to disable Norton or can I run them together?

Thanks.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the virus keeps reappearing, boot into safe mode and run antivirus and spyware scans. Also, if you have Windows XP make sure to disable recovery points before you scan and turn them back on afterwards.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Bob, are you saying Norton is unreliable? That's what I use..I've never had any problems...
I also run Spybot and Adaware. I also like SpyBlaster which stops alot from getting on the computer in the first place.

Can you provide a link for Grisoft? Do I have to disable Norton or can I run them together?

Thanks.
My experience with McAfee was annoying, and I used to recommend them heavily. Norton seems to have slipped in the rankings, and they've had several security issues over the last few years, especially their live update.

Anti Virus Software Vendors:
· AVG Anti-Virus Free antivirus software. http://free.grisoft.com
· F-Protect www.f-prot.com
· Panda Software Antivirus : www.pandasoftware.com
·Trend Micro: www.trendmicro.com

Windows Update: windowsupdate.microsoft.com

FireWalls:
Zone Alarm: http://www.zonelabs.com

SpyWare Removal:
Ad Aware:http://lavasoft.de

SpyBot : http://www.safer-networking.org/

More info on viruses, spyware, etc
http://rustaz.net/nonfiction/compcorner3.htm

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KOROHO said:
Early this morning I suspected I had a virus on my system, so I ran a scan using McAfee. Sure enough, I was right.

Now, after being back on MT, the virus is back too. My Spyware is also finding all sorts of things that I cleared off yesterday.

It seems they have some serious problems here. Be careful and scan often.

Martialtalk is clean, what you are describing doesn't make sense to attribute to Martialtalk if you understand the way this site works.

More likely your virus scanner failed to fully remove it and you got reinfected. But, to be sure, specifically, what virus did your scanner say you had? What spyware?

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have been using PC- Cillin, Internet Security 2006 and I love it so far. It found a lot of Ad ware and other things on my system that Norton’s and McAfee missed. This program was a little pricy but to me worth it. My kids download all kinds of search bars and MSN Messenger seems to be loaded with junk that slowed down my system until I had PC-Cillin remove all that junk. And just for the record I have never had problems with MT or KT as far as ad ware, spy ware, or viruses.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Martialtalk is clean, what you are describing doesn't make sense to attribute to Martialtalk if you understand the way this site works.

More likely your virus scanner failed to fully remove it and you got reinfected. But, to be sure, specifically, what virus did your scanner say you had? What spyware?

Yep. You're problems aren't originating from Martial Talk that's for sure. Try following some the steps outlined by the more computer literate among us and see if that does the trick for you.

Carol ~ Clear your PM folder dammit! Trying to message you. :p

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Agreed. The only thing remotely close to malware on this site is the damn forum. I can't seem to keep it out of my browser history... :uhyeah:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Moved to Support forum.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Super Moderator

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Agreed. The only thing remotely close to malware on this site is the damn forum. I can't seem to keep it out of my browser history... :uhyeah:

I seem to have the same problem!!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While a cursory scan might clear a virus out of the memory, you might have to do more detailed cleaning to get rid of the true source of the infection.

Viruses can invade registries, boot sectors, etc, and this might require a custom tool to remove.

Go to:

http://www.sarc.com

And type the name of the suspected virus into the search engine. There should be specific instructions on how to remove it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
K

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
Firt, I know how to remove viruses and spyware.
In order for them to "come back", they have to first "go away".
I know these files were reomoved. After updating McAfee. I must have missed an update somewhere, some how. The spyware was also removed.
I did not even think that they came from MT, until I came back. I was quite surpised. I am 100% positve that these problems are some how related to MT. And I am no computer ametuer as some people have arrogantly assumed and commented on. I used to be a partner in an ISP.

Once I log off from here now, I'll see if anything else happens. Perhaps things were taken care of and now people have to do a quick CYA.
I for one had always believed in dealing honestly and directly with people and not covering up problems like this. If there is a security breach, you have an obligation to the community to inform them so they can make sure they get software updates and avoid the problems - not deny, lie and call people names and blame someone else.

OP
K

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
By the way. I am growing in my disappointment with McAfee. There was a time when they were the leader. Maybe not any more.
I am also going to Opera only rather than use MSIE and Opera only some times.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KOROHO said:
Firt, I know how to remove viruses and spyware.
In order for them to "come back", they have to first "go away".
I know these files were reomoved. After updating McAfee. I must have missed an update somewhere, some how. The spyware was also removed.
I did not even think that they came from MT, until I came back. I was quite surpised. I am 100% positve that these problems are some how related to MT. And I am no computer ametuer as some people have arrogantly assumed and commented on. I used to be a partner in an ISP.

Once I log off from here now, I'll see if anything else happens. Perhaps things were taken care of and now people have to do a quick CYA.
I for one had always believed in dealing honestly and directly with people and not covering up problems like this. If there is a security breach, you have an obligation to the community to inform them so they can make sure they get software updates and avoid the problems - not deny, lie and call people names and blame someone else.

Can't see that the issue is from MartialTalk. I don't have any connection to MT or Bob other than the fact that I like to surf here and if I ever get around to having a site of my own, Bob is the kind of businessman that I would like to have doing my legwork for him. That's personally why I support this place...my decision, my cash.

I can say this. Personally, I am on this site A LOT. Yes, I have no life, but...I also work some oddball hours. My background is telecommunications engineering and right now I'm sitting in front of more DS3 connections than I'd care to mention.

If there is a spyware, malaware, viruses, trojans going about on our network, we know about it. We make telecommunications equipment and we vigorously monitor what goes in and out of the building. Does my company know I surf MT when I work? You bet. They also know when any viruses or bad stuff goes across our network.

We have never seen ANYTHING amiss from MartialTalk or KenpoTalk and I would be enough of a jerk to call Bob out LOUDLY if he ever does that. No viruses, no trojans, no malware, no spyware, no tracking cookies, no worms, no warez...nothing but data and certainly nothing that would make me look like a bloody idiot in front of my colleagues.

But anyway...that's just my opinion and no, I'm not getting anything out of it except a chance to be a loudmouth and a chance to put off working for a bit more and wonder if its 4AM yet so I can go home :rofl:

That's not to say my knowledge is pristine or superior or anything else, but...that's just my point of view out the window from the desk in my office. There are bad things out there on the web and always issues in keeping everything working five-nines reliable. Personally I'd much rather be tracking down hardware interop issues and software bugs than chasing around bad data on the internet and seeing what it does to our customers....but such is the reality we face in telecom. Just my opinion though. :) Good luck.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for the record.
* The only people who touch this server are qualified systems administrators.
* All banners are located on our server. The exception is the javascript for the SCN network (little tool bar at the very very top). That code was written by me, does nothing but pull the listing over from my corporate site.
* All of our servers are secured, locked down and regularly security checked. Servers are constantly updated with OS, application and Kernel updates and fixes. Unused services and software has been removed or disabled, logs are audited, suspicious activity investigated, anti-spam and anti-virus installed, anti DOS/DDOS measures installed, system has been fully security hardened, and numerous detection, monitoring and analysation utilities installed both on-server and remotely for maximum security.
* Every line of code that has been uploaded to martial talk has been looked over by me or a trusted programmer. We don't include anything questionable.
* We use no pop up/under/out advertisements. I have rejected offers from people to install them, and turned down some nice payouts if I did.

I take the security of this site, and the trust of our members very seriously. I can say, with 110% certainty, that if you have a virus or malware problem, that it did not come from MartialTalk. I have had the server checked, the code checked, and had this independently verified for cleanness. We're clean. If someone finds out otherwise, I want to know about it, immediately.

I would suggest clearing your cache, (both web and disk).
Turn off XP's roll back feature.
Ensure that you have up to date antivirus and scan every file on your system.
Ensure that you are using Adaware or Spybot. Run both in fact and have them clean and immunize your system. Then get Microsofts spyware program and run it as well. (only allow 1 to stay resident to protect you) These 3 are the only spyware programs worth a darn in my opinion.
Install a firewall if you haven't already. ZoneAlarm is the best.
Switch to FireFox. Opera is ok too. Avoid IE like the plague.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KOROHO said:
Perhaps things were taken care of and now people have to do a quick CYA.
Hmmmm... somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 members, and 1 (one) complaint? As a former IT guy, I'm sure you're familiar with the term Operator Error, right?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Missed this part:

Perhaps things were taken care of and now people have to do a quick CYA.

He haven't changed a thing.

I for one had always believed in dealing honestly and directly with people and not covering up problems like this.

Me too.

If there is a security breach, you have an obligation to the community to inform them so they can make sure they get software updates and avoid the problems

If there was a breach, I agree. However, there was no breach.

not deny, lie and call people names and blame someone else.

I agree.

Latest Discussions