My first day at a Bujinkan dojo

Domo Kun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to attend my first class at a bujinkan dojo, and it was a lot tougher than what I expected...

We started the class with a lot of stretching, so far so good, then went to some exercises... Hehe I must say I wasn't prepared for them, all those different kinds of push ups, standing in those cruel kamae positions and a ton of other exercises really got me exausted. By the end of them I was dying for a glass of water... And the class hadn't even started :p

Then I got separated from the rest of the class and was taught a couple falls and a few kamaes. All the movements seemed so strict to me, I wonder how would I fight like that in a real situation.

When I got home nearly all my muscles were aking...

But overall it was a good class, the instructor and the other students seemed very cool and I had fun there, I'll be back next saturday :)

I only wonder how many time will it take before I can actually defend myself... And how long will it take before I start training with weapons :EG:

Thanks for reading :asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you had a great time and keep on working hard. All of those exercises, expecially the rolling and then getting up take a while for the body to adapt. Keep going.

ManOfVirtues

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I only wonder how many time will it take before I can actually defend myself...

Domo, I have to say from have been from where you are now you might be suprised. I dont know who you are training wtih but a lot of factors could come into the answer of your question.

I have been a member of the Bujinkan community for a little over a year now, and how effective my training was during that first year really suprised me. I know I have a lot of years of martial science behind me, but this last year as prepared me more for street situations than the past 15 years has.

The only recommendations I can make to you is if you are sore stretch before bed and immidiately after you get up. Keep your mind clear of lifes daily grind. Build a trust relationship with other members of the dojo, and dont be afraid to take a hit, I know it sounds bad but its not.

Oh and if you think Kamae is strict in the Bujinkan world, try your hand and Kendo. You will gain a whole new appriciation.

Keep it up.

OP
Domo Kun

Domo Kun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips :) It's also great to hear that ninjutsu prepared you so much.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then I got separated from the rest of the class and was taught a couple falls and a few kamaes. All the movements seemed so strict to me, I wonder how would I fight like that in a real situation.

You won't fight "like that" in a real situation. However the situation does evolve, the one thing you can be sure of is that it will be completely unique.

Hopefully, your concept of kamae will broaden quickly. The strictness is a teaching tool. The reality is as diverse as human movement.

Have fun!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do a little cross training in BBT and I love it. In a lot of ways, the techniques are very similar to the jujutsu I study, but in a lot of ways, they are done with a completely different mindset, which is often more defensive than my primary art.

Is what got me the first few times I went was the amount of ukemi. They did a lot more that what I was used to in the other classes I go too.

Glad you enjoy it and have fun!

Jeff

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

First off, I'm glad you had a positive experience. Keep at it!

With reference to the above quote, I had thoughts like that at first, too. But here's how I've come to understand it: all the strict kata work isn't intended for a real fight -- it's the martial arts equivalent of music theory.

When you're learning to play piano, you learn chords and time signatures and you play a nauseating number of scales to learn the different keys. It strengthens your internal knowledge of how music works.

But in a piano performance, you wouldn't want to sit there and play scales. Scales are rigid. It wouldn't be an effective performance at all. But because you've learned the basics of how music and the piano works, you can now play songs and, most importantly, improvise.

There are pianists who can't read music and don't do scales. They play entirely by ear. And some of them can put on a hell of a show. But they're limited in what they can do with music because they don't have a foundational understanding of how it works.

MA is the same thing. Kata work builds knowledge of how your body works in combat -- call it "martial theory." You're playing scales and learning chords. And, given time and practice, that knowledge will allow you to improvise and fight/evade effectively in a real situation.

So I guess you could call a confrontation a "jam session." :D

Anyway, that's what helped me. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First classes any where are hard. Happy to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the experence.
Keep us updated on how your training goes and when your body starts to adjust to the new training

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm glad you had a positive experience. Keep at it!

With reference to the above quote, I had thoughts like that at first, too. But here's how I've come to understand it: all the strict kata work isn't intended for a real fight -- it's the martial arts equivalent of music theory.

When you're learning to play piano, you learn chords and time signatures and you play a nauseating number of scales to learn the different keys. It strengthens your internal knowledge of how music works.

But in a piano performance, you wouldn't want to sit there and play scales. Scales are rigid. It wouldn't be an effective performance at all. But because you've learned the basics of how music and the piano works, you can now play songs and, most importantly, improvise.

There are pianists who can't read music and don't do scales. They play entirely by ear. And some of them can put on a hell of a show. But they're limited in what they can do with music because they don't have a foundational understanding of how it works.

MA is the same thing. Kata work builds knowledge of how your body works in combat -- call it "martial theory." You're playing scales and learning chords. And, given time and practice, that knowledge will allow you to improvise and fight/evade effectively in a real situation.

So I guess you could call a confrontation a "jam session." :D

Anyway, that's what helped me. Your mileage, as always, may vary.
Another way to look at martial arts is by comparing it learning a language.

At first, you learn individual sounds or letters, and you practice them. Maybe combine them into simple, pre-arranged words or sentences. As you develop in the language, you begin to write more complex sentences and phrases, and eventually move out of the "phrasebook" into simply saying what you mean. Martial arts is the same way; stances, blocks and strikes are letters. Kata are the phrasebook -- and an actual fight is "just" a conversation. (OK, maybe a little more like an argument!)

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another way to look at martial arts is by comparing it learning a language.

At first, you learn individual sounds or letters, and you practice them. Maybe combine them into simple, pre-arranged words or sentences. As you develop in the language, you begin to write more complex sentences and phrases, and eventually move out of the "phrasebook" into simply saying what you mean. Martial arts is the same way; stances, blocks and strikes are letters. Kata are the phrasebook -- and an actual fight is "just" a conversation. (OK, maybe a little more like an argument!)

While I follow and see where you're coming from, this is a poor analogy for Bujinkan training.

There is a lot of stuff that goes on in training that has a specific purpose that does not carry-over directly to combat. It may be more efficient to learn a movement or strengthen an attribute through specific training practices that are not something you would typically find efficient in fighting or combat.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to attend my first class at a bujinkan dojo, and it was a lot tougher than what I expected...

We started the class with a lot of stretching, so far so good, then went to some exercises... Hehe I must say I wasn't prepared for them, all those different kinds of push ups, standing in those cruel kamae positions and a ton of other exercises really got me exausted. By the end of them I was dying for a glass of water... And the class hadn't even started :p

When I got home nearly all my muscles were aking...

But overall it was a good class, the instructor and the other students seemed very cool and I had fun there, I'll be back next saturday :)

I only wonder how many time will it take before I can actually defend myself... And how long will it take before I start training with weapons :EG:

Thanks for reading :asian:

Man, my legs STILL remember the first time in a BBT dojo. I think I finally worked out a cramp I got that day just last week (12 or so years ago now) :)

Ukemi, ukemi, ukemi; learn how to fall and roll right, you will be doing a LOT of it. (I hope I spelled that right, I have a hard enough time spelling English words.)

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Brutha! Glad to hear that you had enjoyed your first day. In training with these various kyu and dan (or deshi and sensei), you'll definantly find out alot about yourself, as well as things about yourself that you probably never knew until they happen. If your a person that tends to lean a little towards the spirit/etherial side of things, if you stick with what your doing, you'll gain various insight that will be of emence value to you in your life/ path;things that cannot be bought, and things that someone that dosen't do what you do won't have. Believe me, it pays to persevere in your training (been doin' my damn thing for almost eight years, currently with the Bujinkan). Not to mention, your getting a battle-proven combat system par exellance(GOD,i love this ninja stuff! ). keep going to class, KEEP STRETCHING(you'll be glad you did), and get plenty of water and rest(youll need it!).

Welcome to the family, little brotha. Ninpo Ikkan!

-Bryan