My daughter wants a handgun!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter has asked us if she could start shooting handguns, maybe even get into some competition but for right now she would just like to go to the range and shoot.

We are thinking a revolver to start. Perhaps a .38.

Any suggestions?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that's a good choice Lisa. I'm looking forward to the day when my kids are old enough. Do you have mixed feelings about her shooting, like happy but concerned?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that's a good choice Lisa. I'm looking forward to the day when my kids are old enough. Do you have mixed feelings about her shooting, like happy but concerned?

No mixed feelings whatsoever :D

We all shoot competitive air rifle, my husband shoots long range F-class and used to shoot competitive handgun when our children were little.

I think she would really enjoy the experience and kinda figured this day would come as she has always been around firearms of some kind or another.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's great news! If you have a 13 daughter that's asking for a handgun then all that I can say is that you rock as a parent. Let us know how it goes. A lot of ranges will have pistols that you can rent for the day. Take her to the range and see which caliber she likes and which frame style fits her best. Best of luck.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter has asked us if she could start shooting handguns, maybe even get into some competition but for right now she would just like to go to the range and shoot.

Any suggestions?

Cool, Lisa. That should be a lot of fun. I really believe that shooting is a great activity to be able to do with your kids.

I would recommend checking out Taurus products if your going revolver style. Taurus is pretty reliable and not too expensive; great for starter pistols. If your going .38 caliber (which is a good beginners choice) I would recommend maybe a .357/.38 rather then a 'snub nose.' Even though there a little bit more expensive, you'll will get more range with the longer barrel which would be more useful for target/sport shooting. You can search here, and pick what you like... http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector.cfm

:)

Also, what direction will she be going with this? If you think she might get into competitive target style shooting or distance shooting, I wouldn't discount a good longer barrelled .22 http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=392&category=Revolver

It just depends on your needs...

C.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is awsome! I think the .38 caliber would be about perfect, there is a vast array of loadings so she can start light and have the loadings grow with her ability to handle the increased recoil, without being afraid of building in "flinch." Personally I would lean toward a smaller framed .357 so there is an even greater degree of growth potential avaliable. I like the Ruger GP100 series, and for smaller hands the Ruger SP101 series. They are built like tanks and just continue to shoot very well.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm of mind set of starting out with the .22 for reasons that it's a "light weight" caliber and easier to control (recoil, etc.). While still a deadly weapon, having one easier to control and less intimidating to shoot will help train her to respect the weaponry and realize the dangers inherent in mishandling. Of course whomever her instructor is they'll ensure she gets the point.
Later she can graduate to larger calibers. I would (with my own ... if I HAD any :rolleyes: ) be sure she can consistently hit targets at specified range(s) and shows patience to move up to the bigger cals.

Cruentus said:
Also, what direction will she be going with this? If you think she might get into competitive target style shooting or distance shooting, I wouldn't discount a good longer barrelled .22 http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver
That is a nice looking pistol for a .22 have to look into getting one of those. :D

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm of mind set of starting out with the .22 for reasons that it's a "light weight" caliber and easier to control (recoil, etc.). While still a deadly weapon, having one easier to control and less intimidating to shoot will help train her to respect the weaponry and realize the dangers inherent in mishandling. Of course whomever her instructor is they'll ensure she gets the point.
Later she can graduate to larger calibers. I would (with my own ... if I HAD any :rolleyes: ) be sure she can consistently hit targets at specified range(s) and shows patience to move up to the bigger cals.

I am not really of the mindset that you HAVE to start with a lower Caliber, because I feel that with proper shooting mechanics, a 13 year old could learn to shoot a .45 just fine. But I do agree with you that a .22 is a good choice for a starter weapon in that it rounds are inexpensive, it may be less intimidating to a new shooter, and you can really train all the same mechanics that would carry over to any large caliber just fine.

That is a nice looking pistol for a .22 have to look into getting one of those. :D

Thanks. :) They felt nice in my hand too. If your in the market for that style of .22, that's a good one to get.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lisa a .38 is a good choice but I learned on a 9 mm and that was simply a great caliber to work with. Of all the 9mm's to start with the best in my opinon is the Glock 17. (Simply fantastic) Then again all Glock's rule!
icon6.gif
Still they have no safety and that may be an issue for starting out shooting Handguns! No matter what I think you will find the right fit for your daughter and I commend you on making sure that she can do this.
icon14.gif

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
The only suggestion I have as a definite right now is to absolutely NOT start her off with either a Glock or a 1911.

Don't misunderstand me.

I think both models are great guns, I do NOT think they are great *FIRST* guns.

I started Carol off with a Glock because it was all I owned at the time and was always present on range to help her out with safe gun handling.

To someone not used to keeping their finger off the trigger, and with no other external safety it could be a risk to a newcomer to the design.

I swear by my 1911. I've tried all of the big name designs and carried most of'em at one time or another and nothing else quite "belongs" in my hand as does the Old Warhorse. But the unique safety characteristics and the unfamiliarity of this generation with "cocked and locked" carry on a single action only auto can be a risk to someone who does not know how the system operates.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Any suggestions?

As stated by "C" in this thread, a .357 with a .38 migh be a good optins as well. I also like the idea of a .22. Not because it is so much smaller in size or bang. But the ammo cost. Kids like to pull the trigger. This gives them something to pull the trigger on and practice on and enjoy that. Having the other weapon of larger size is also a way for them to understand the differences. Yes I am recommending not one but two. :D

Good luck in your choice. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sig Sauer P-232..It's a small and very light .380.....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stop the presses ... I agree.
I don't see any danger if the parents of said 13 yr. old are responsible ones. That they know the ins and out of gun/firearm safety. So long as they instill those safety values into their kid then what's so scary about it?
I learned to shoot when I was 12 and have never had any incident of near or accidental shooting or even pointing a live weapon at someone without intent to kill... (when I was an adult and on my own yeah, but that's another story).

No, I never kilt no one by the way. Just meant to... long story.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knowing said 13 year old, this thread is incredibly scary :eek:

Stop the presses ... I agree.

Uh-oh. :) Are we joking, or is there really something about this particular 13 year old that would make her not a good canidate for going shooting with her parents in a supervised environment? :idunno:

They are joking. :)

Andrew is just afraid that she will once again out shoot him and embarrass him, as she has done previously. :p

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a few handguns. My Ruger GP-100 is the gun I'll never get rid of. Mine's a 357 magnum with a 4" barrel. It's fairly weighty which makes shooting 38 specials through it have very light recoil. My wife really enjoys shooting that gun. .38 special range ammo is relatively cheap. Good selection of ammo available for self-defense purposes. I'd recommend this gun or a comparable Smith & Wesson for a first-time handgun owner.

I've had good and bad luck with my Tauruses. My .22 model 94 has worked flawlessly although the trigger pull is heavy. .22 ammo is very cheap compared to centerfire ammo which has the advantage of allowing a lot of shooting for little $. Minimal recoil makes it easier to learn to shoot without developing bad habits. My model 455(.45 acp revolver) has had some problems--need to have it worked on.

If she has her heart set on a semi-auto, 9mm is a good caliber to start with. Ammo is relatively cheap. Recoil isn't too much. Good self-defense ammo available. Mine's a 3rd generation S&W from about 20 years ago, but there are lots of good 9mm guns on the market. CZ makes some nice ones. I'd probably get a CZ if I didn't already have a 9mm. Springfield Armory makes some nice polymer guns which have a grip safety in addition to a trigger safety. Relying on safeties is no substitute for good gun handling practices though.

Latest Discussions