Music On the Road to Nowhere?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15694487

Does America have the same 'problem' as this i.e. no new musical talent being allowed to grow and mature so that they can become the long-lived and well-loved acts of the future?

I know that I am in my own middle-years now and have often claimed that not much of any musical worth has come out since the hard rock of the 70's but I am honest enough to recognise my own prejudices and realise that there must be more than one-hit-wonders out there somewhere - they're just not getting the support they need to tour and learn their craft of performing and writing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd have to agree...and its a complicated problem.

iTunes has essentially killed the "album". The rock behemoths touring now appealed to a generation that still had to pay for music. 90+% of the acts on major labels don't turn a profit, the label depends on the megastars to finance the other efforts.

Perhaps there is also a matter of what the artists want to do themselves. The public eye has gotten stronger and harsher than it was when you and I were teens. If some of the artists are choosing to take their earnings and quietly live out of the spotlight, I can't say I blame them. But it is a loss...as a musician I think it is fascinating to watch a band mature and see how they manage to stay inspired. Without longevity tho....that seems impossible.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you certainly lose out when only a couple of songs are sold.
Can't recall the times I bough an album for a couple f songs, but then ended up liking a completely different one.