Muay Thai Newbie Here...

OuchOuchOuch

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm thinking about taking MT classes with Khunpon at Velocity/KnuckleUp here in Atlanta in the next week or so.

Anyone have any experience with Khunpon and what he's like in instructing a complete "newbie"?

Any general info on what the classes are like would be greatly appreciated. Velocity apparently has both a beginners (5:30) and advanced (6:30) classes. The 5:30 class is a bit tight in terms of my schedule, but I figure I should start with that class if I don't want to get my *** beat in the advanced class.

Lastly, what kind of equipment do I need to start training? I've got some 12-oz boxing gloves and hand wraps from this old gym that I used to go to. Will that be enough for now? I'd like to start training ASAP with whatever I have than to sit around until I gather up enough money to buy all the equipments that I may need.

Thanks.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! You should probably just call and ask to come and watch some of their classes or participate and check out their school. I would not worry about buying equipment until you sign up and talk to the teacher.
Good luck, Muay Thai is a great art.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. I would highly suggest taking a beginner class before you leap into an advanced one. As Brian suggested above it doesn't hurt to contact the place and watch a session before you commit.

Equipment wise it sounds like you are set to go. Shorts, hand wraps and gloves is pretty much what you need to start off. Later on you could get shin pads when you start practicing leg blocks. Then add a mouth guard, a groin protector, 16 oz gloves (maybe headgear) for when you are ready to spar.

Hope you have fun and enjoy your first Muay Thai session.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with the Muay Thai. I watched the IKSA on ESPN 2 Saturday Night. American vs. Thai. The Thai won, it was neat to watch all the same.