Mr. Calkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I won't ask for proof of the death of his mother. If he is lying about that, then he is in greater need of help than any of us can provide.

His other claims, however, he still needs to defend or recant.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
On the other hand even though he himself brought up the subject, it could be that it is just too painful an experience to have to go out of one's way to prove:idunno:

Then he should not have mentioned it as casually as he did. It is not like he does not know that a lot of his claims have been followed by calls to prove them. So, knowing this he mentions something like that?

He has been proven to lie before. It is not too much to think that he would lie about this.

If he would lie about his mother's death just to impress people on an internet site, then I do not think many people could forgive him.

If he ignores this thread, or refuses proof after so casually mentioning how he is a tough dude who has seen real violence, then there will probably be no doubt that he lied. And how would people treat a person who would lie about something like this?

He has been given the benifit of the doubt. He has been found wanting. Now he has to provide proof that anyone can check for themselves or there will be no forgiveness for him.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Iam in definate agreement with you, but for one thing at some point I think a person should be given the benefit of the doubt, and it would certainly explain a lot of things.
Giving someone the benefit of the doubt is great, as is the phrase "innocent until proven guilty"

However, Bruce has already been given the benefit of the doubt several times, and has continued to pump out completely unverifiable claims, continually correcting various people from the accepted history or philosophy of their own martial arts to his own "interpretations". At this point I think it is fair to take what he says with a pinch or two of salt.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Once again, I'm with you guys, maybe I'm just too kind hearted, but like I stated if this one is the truth, it would certainly put a lot of other stuff into context.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from.

Its a "boy who cried wolf" situation now.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
It obviously reached the point where even if he tells the truth, nobody is going to believe him. Perhaps this latest relavation is the closest to the truth we have seen. A teenager going through a traumatic experience like that could explain a lot of the behavior we have noticed.
It could be. But this should encourage him to stand up & back up a single claim he's made. I'd think more of him for doing that than not doing anything at all, which is what he seems to prefer.

Tgace said:
Also probably more likely than him traveling the country persuing martial arts training at that age.

Tgace said:
Then again it could just be more smoke to lend credibility to his statements about facing life and death, danger and armed opponents....who knows??
Credibility? :jaws: :xtrmshock

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I understand where you are coming from.

Its a "boy who cried wolf" situation now.
Absolutely! I would consider challenging this as goulish if it where anyone else. In this case, it's just more hot air, and because I don't believe any of it for a second, I won't.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ultimately though, whats the point? What can any of us really accomplish with the current course of action?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're right. Probably nothing, but who posted the thread?:idunno:

Anytime I talk to someone who is explaining a situation, I try to put myself in their shoes to get a better feel of what they're saying.

I tried that with Calkins and in all honesty, to post such outlandish claims over and over, get pummeled after backing up nothing I claimed, and then starting it all over again, is past my ability to comprehend what's in his head. People say "Stop picking on him" and such, yet continually he post's stuff like this.

I'll stop saying I don't believe him when he stops making outlandish claims. There's a big difference between going after someone ,i.e. the witch hunt as someone called it, and them putting it in my face. Live and let live is a two way street.

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry. Caulkins will open the window at his house one morning and the squirrels will grab him.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I got a bad hit for my comment earlier so I guess I will get another one here and for your information I'm not encourageing anybody and please sign your name no hard feelings about a mark one way or another. Back to the subject Martial Art is more than fighting it is a way of life one must forgive those that have to be forgiven even the Bible says to forgive all I'm saying is I notice I said I believe he is looking for some kind of acceptance I never said anybody had to give it to him but as Ma'ers we should look pass is mistaken facts and see beyond and maybe help him help himself. Tragedy whether fact or fiction and believe me when I say I seen people live in the fiction world there life becomes there fictorous place. Maybe Bruce needs help in seeing reality verus fiction.

Terry L Stoker

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i got the same bad ding for saying "well said" after your post Terry. LOL

apparently we encourage frauds when we ask that bashing cease. oh well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
In this case, Bruce should be able to prove that his mother was killed.
Think about how rude it is to make such a request of a person, though. Would you ask that of someone face-to-face?

Don Roley said:
If he does not try to prove this, things are going to get heated as people treat him with even less respect. And we moderators are the ones who have to clean up the mess.
Well, since you're also one of the ones fanning the flames, it's hard to feel sympathy for you on this one.

I understand the idea of wanting to both expose frauds and, at the same time, not have that activity consume the board. But, I feel like this case has been hit pretty hard. Adding one more piece of evidence either way won't change anyone's mind. If he produces a death certificate and police report showing he was there, people will say, well, he told the truth once, but still hasn't other times, including ones that may now be shown to be false by the same evidence that showed this one to be true. If on the other hand he doesn't produce such evidence, it counts against him too. He'll look bad either way...so what is gained by the time, effort, and concern?

Why not just ding his rep. to negative infinity and let that speak for people's view of him?

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
If Bruce's claim is true, then it is in poor taste to demand proof.

If it is false, then it is incredibly tasteless and tacky on the claimants part given that others may have suffered his delusion in reality.

Personally, I think he should just go away. He is an internet laughing stock, and regardless of what he does, it will be at least a year or 3 before he can earn some legit paper and start the long process of redeeming himself.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
In this case, Bruce should be able to prove that his mother was killed. I assume from the responses that no one is expecting him to do so. If he does not jump in to back up what he says, then people can say what they want and life on the rest of the board goes on as normal.

And if Bruce would merely stop making such obviously fictional stories, his posts would not be sent here.
I knew you were out just to bash me no matter what was said... If you feel that important to prove it. Look for old papers from Jamestown NY and the Name was Patricia A. Berardi (Heyduck if they used the married name) I have put as much proof as I need. I don't ask proof from any of you. Just enjoy the Martial Imput. Some moron got the dates mixed up and tried to say that this didn't happen. I was 13 in 1975. I went to Ft. Lauderdale with Tamio Kamura in late 75 early 76 and started in Garland TX in late 78. I was with my Grandmother if anyone cares who raised me after my mither was killed.
I all my life respected Martial Artist from all styles and schools. I just went as a guest to a Buddhist Temple that was dedicated in Henrietta NY saturday. The Monks of the temple showed respect for everyone there and I had the honor of doing a Lu Ling Sao demo for them. But in here 90% of you act like 12 year old smart asses and with no respect. Just hate and doubt for anything you don't like. Have fun. I will not go away because I.. 1) enjoy the Martial Arts comments from other threads and the passing of knowledge. 2) because I guess I can't believe the crap that is posted about me from people that have and never will meet me. They know nothing about me but doubt everything I say. Sorry but I don't lie! even going as low as to post bogus **** on my guest book. Don't worry people I check it several times a day and it won't sat there so keep wasteing your type time.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bester said:
If Bruce's claim is true, then it is in poor taste to demand proof.

If it is false, then it is incredibly tasteless and tacky on the claimants part given that others may have suffered his delusion in reality.

Personally, I think he should just go away. He is an internet laughing stock, and regardless of what he does, it will be at least a year or 3 before he can earn some legit paper and start the long process of redeeming himself.

so we do what we do for "legit paper"...? i thought there was a much more important reason we torture ourselves :idunno:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:idunno: ,

You know guys. I quit reading this stuff about Mr. Calkins a long time ago. I personally could care less about someone's claims to this or that. The only true way to know someone is get on the mat with them. Speaking as a member of the board if there's problems with Mr. Calkins just put him on your ignore list. It's that easy. Thread after thread after thread seems to (r)evolve to/around Mr. Calkins. I can't believe that some of the stuff posted gets most of you so fired up :idunno: . Any who want to ding give some negative reps... go ahead. Any who want to respond to this go ahead. I'm telling you all I'm not going to post in this thread again nor read it again. Do what ya'll want to do but I think for most you have better use of your time.
Thanks gentlemen.
Jason Farnsworth
:asian:

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
I knew you were out just to bash me no matter what was said... If you feel that important to prove it. Look for old papers from Jamestown NY and the Name was Patricia A. Berardi (Heyduck if they used the married name) I have put as much proof as I need. I don't ask proof from any of you. Just enjoy the Martial Imput. Some moron got the dates mixed up and tried to say that this didn't happen. I was 13 in 1975. I went to Ft. Lauderdale with Tamio Kamura in late 75 early 76 and started in Garland TX in late 78. I was with my Grandmother if anyone cares who raised me after my mither was killed.
I all my life respected Martial Artist from all styles and schools. I just went as a guest to a Buddhist Temple that was dedicated in Henrietta NY saturday. The Monks of the temple showed respect for everyone there and I had the honor of doing a Lu Ling Sao demo for them. But in here 90% of you act like 12 year old smart A**es and with no respect. Just hate and doubt for anything you don't like. Have fun. I will not go away because I.. 1) enjoy the Martial Arts comments from other threads and the passing of knowledge. 2) because I guess I can't believe the crap that is posted about me from people that have and never will meet me. They know nothing about me but doubt everything I say. Sorry but I don't lie! even going as low as to post bogus S**T on my guest book. Don't worry people I check it several times a day and it won't sat there so keep wasteing your type time.
well....if im the moron that got the dates mixed up, i cut and pasted directly from your post.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
"Getting Legit Papers"
The act of showing up at a legitimate school, putting in some serious time on the training floor, and earning a rank. This action usually takes several years of serious hard work, blood, sweat and tears.

It is not achieved by being "recognized" by a group of frauds and "ol boynetwurkers" headed by "10th dans" barely out of college, made up histories, and pulled-outta-yer-***-do. It does not include being able to do "chi" tricks, wave practice sticks around, and bamboozle geezers and rugrats.

It does include learning the lessons of true humility, a lesson that does not require one to regularly remind people how humble you are.

It does not include making crap up, refusing to recognize that people living in a place may just understand the language and history better than someone who has not been there, or only visited.

Sapper, there are many more important reasons why. A true martial artist wouldn't need to "be recognized" by a "sokeship". He or she wouldn't do video testing, sell rank, or worry about competing in 95% of the tournys out there, because they know that martial arts is about more than having everyone know you are "the best", or being able to do a flying power-snap-side/front hamerabi-no-gatchi kick while yelling like ones balls are on fire.

But, someone here doesn't get that. He thinks that he's a great teacher, loved, misunderstood. Not true. He's a raving looney, whom most of his peers look upon as a joke, the overgrown kid you're afraid to tell the truth to, because he's a possible danger to himself, and others. Most of WNY thinks he's a nut. A few, just won't tell him that to his face. Everyone in WNY I spoke to about him either a-didn't know who he was, or b-thought he was a nut.

Everyone Bruce.

I've called 20 schools so far.

You have great raw potential. Get into a real school, start at zero and maybe in 5 years you'll have the polish you need. Maybe in a few years, you'll stop being an internet laughing stock. I mean, you are a joke on a dozen forums. Theres a BJJ forum where they do SokeCalkins cartoons for gods sake. :lol:

Seriously man, seek professional help.
Otherwise, you'll keep being seen as a joke by the guys who do real arts, not just the stuff they get outta training with the McDojo Gang.

Then again, maybe these other so-called "instructors" could "grow a few" and finally tell Bruce the truth. I doubt it. WNY is McBozo Land when it comes to martial arts. I don't think theres more than 2 or 3 legit people here, the rest, bah. Bruce is just one of the worse.

====
Al "Freaking" Bester, livin it up, in the land of Sukitude!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bester said:
I've called 20 schools so far.
No offense, but that's sort of sad. I agreed with the rest of your post though.

I agree with most everyone here, thus far I have resisted the urge to say anything, but I'm getting sick of all these threads. The reason I'm posting now though is, reading this thread, I was suddenly reminded of an article I read a while back.

I cant remember where the article was located, but the subject of the article concerned people making false claims on the internet, usually claiming to have some dire sickness that they are battling, (and losing,) or claiming tradgedy in their life to have people feel sympathy for them. The article said that these people, when caught in their own webs of falsities, usually ignored it when pointed out to them, and continued to tell more lies.

The article went further on to say that these people did indeed need psychological help, (duh) and that if you run across them continuing to feed them attention would only encourage them to continue with more lies, more stories, as they like to be the center of attention.

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to consider a person who claims imense knowledge and skill to fall in the same category as the person described above.

I'll leave it for you to decide who is or is not this kind of person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions