Moving out of State, Can you keep your same rank in your new school?

jstreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am considering signing up for TKD classes in Austin, TX. I may move to a different area in the next few years and was wondering if you are able to transfer to a new school and keep your current belt status. The school I am interested in joining is a WTF School. Here's the link.
http://www.masterjung.com/
Please let me know.

Thanks,
Jon

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That really depends on your rank and your new school teacher. If you have earned the rank of Frst degree Black Belt, most schools will allow you to continue wearing the belt and just teach you the differences in the material as you go along (assuming you stay in the same style) but under black belt, I have found it to be more subjective, that many schools ask you to start at white again, but will usually move you through the ranks faster and if there are belt fees, waive them, until you reach the belt level you had earned before. But in reality you won't know the answer to this question until you ask it of the head instructor of the new place you wish to train.

OP
J

jstreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So the WTF and ITF do not document your progression in a way that would allow you to transfer? What purpose do they serve? Besides the Olympic TKD team? I know the WTF regulates that.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jstreet said:
So the WTF and ITF do not document your progression in a way that would allow you to transfer? What purpose do they serve? Besides the Olympic TKD team? I know the WTF regulates that.

Jon:

It is the Kukkiwon, & not the WTF, that gives BB rank. About the ITF, I do not know. But in a TKD school that gives Kukkiwon BB rank, the color belt ranks are given either by the school, or a national organization to which the school belongs. The national organization I belong to (the US Chung Do Kwan Association) will certainly recognize a student (say green belt) from another USCDKA school. I would imagine that a school who used the same forms, may also recognize the same student. But perhaps not. However, a school that also gives Kukkiwon BB rank, will accept a student with a Kukkiwon BB certificate. I would assume that an ITF school would do the same with a student who presented an ITF BB certificate. Having either an ITF or a Kukkiwon certificate is the best way to ensure you can retain your rank (as long as it's to a like school) when you move to another state.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's my situation for the past 6 or so years. I started in Tang Soo Do. I moved and went to a WTF TKD place. I had to start over from white belt. I switched to ITF recently. I got to keep my rank. I test for BB in Jan (if everything goes as planned).

I also do Jujitsu. I was able to keep my rank, but I choose to wear a white belt (because the systems are so different and my instructor doesn't have a problem with it. I won't test for green till he says so).

So it depends on your situation. And it also depends on what the dojang/dojo does. Just go with it. It's easier to start over. Take my word for it.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My cousin trains in WTF TKD and he said that if you have a WTF rank certificate you will most likely get to keep your rank. If I have any transfer students, which has happened, I normally watch them for a short time to decide if they can wear the rank they have achieved elsewhere. This will help them and me. It allows them to be at the rank they have earned and it allows for me to set them at a rank that reps my school in a positive manor.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
searcher said:
My cousin trains in WTF TKD and he said that if you have a WTF rank certificate you will most likely get to keep your rank...

Yes, that's correct. If your dan is registered through the Kukkiwon then it should be properly recognized by any WTF affiliated dojang. As far as the color belt gup ranks go that's a little different, then it depends on the individual dojang because the color belt gup ranks aren't so regulated. Remember that most schools have their own color belt system.

Latest Discussions