Movie Star Martial Artist, what Style and Rank are they?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
I don't think that Capoeira uses a belt system.
Most capoeira schools use a belt system of some type, but they tend to be different from school to school, and different from that which is typical of the Asian arts. I have never seen one that used a Blackbelt, with degrees, the way Asian arts do.

Wesley Snipes trained capoeira for many years with Capoeira Mestre Jelon Viera in New York. I don't know what rank he achieved, but I believe he may have been (may still be) fairly good.

I believe he is also accomplished in Shotokan. Maybe this is where the 5th Degree comes from?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Often capoeira uses a system of bely-like 'cords' of various colors.
That is exactly right. It is a colored rope, worn like a belt. Both holds up the pants, and acts as a rank indicator. Every Capoeira organization uses a different color system. My group uses solid colors, while others use various combinations of solid colors and braided multi-colored cords. I have heard that Jelon's group uses a black cord at the highest level, but I haven't been able to independently verify that. His is the only group I have heard to use black. If true, probably he is the only one who wears it.

Capoeira ranking does not tend to use Dan grades either. You simply hold the color rank, but no 1st - 10th degree.

Example: this is the system used by the ABADA group, based in Rio de Janiero, under the leadership of Meste Camisa

Student ranks: No Color (white or raw cord); yellow; orange

Graduated Student: Blue (approximately equivalent to 1st Degree Black belt, but within the context of Capoeira); Green. As a Graduated Student, a Capoeirista may act as an assistant teacher, or do some teaching under the guidance of a full instructor

Instructor: Purple

Professor: Brown

Mestrando: Red (mestrando is a verb, meaning roughly "one who is reaching mastery")

Mestre (master): half red, half white (in our organization, only Camisa and one or two others are of this rank)

Grao Mestre (Grand Master): White. This is an honorary recognition that Mestre Camisa gave his older brother, who introduced him into Capoeira when he was very young. Only one person in the organization can hold this rank.

In addition, for the levels up to Red, there is a half step where the cord is colored half the previous level, half the next, so there are really more steps than I have listed.

Certain titles tend to be common among different groups, even if the colored belts are different. These are Graduated Student (see Blue and Green above), and Contra Mestre, which is a higher level instructor, but not a full mestre.

I have seen other groups that use very different colors, mostly based on the colors of the Brazilian flag. They use white, yellow, green, blue, and various combinations of multi-colored braided ropes. I am not as familiar with their order of progression, however.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen a system much like this in use, including the half-colored cords. Everyone has to have ranking, it seems!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've seen a system much like this in use, including the half-colored cords. Everyone has to have ranking, it seems!
well it would be no fun if we all didn't have pretty colored belts to flash around!

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the very interesting facts about Capoeira and it's ranking/belt system, I am sure that others like me will find the info very interesting.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hmmmm....I was going to post something about this forum after reading it but after my thoughts collided I realized I had nothing good to say.....interesting

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard that Jaleel White from "Family Matters" has a black belt in something, and either the guy that played "Webster" or Arnold on "Different Strokes" was in a kind of documentary a LONG time ago (sorry, not sure which one- like I said it was a long time ago). Whichever, they were shown on t.v. practicing. Also, one of the characters in "Karate Kid 1" was into ma- my instructor told me that one.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about:

Valdimir Putin, Russian President, Judo
Dustin "Screech" Diamond, actor, BB in Karate
Jessie Jackson Jr., US Congressman, Taekwondo
Mickey Roarke, actor, Boxing
Danny Partridge Bonaduce, Okinawan Chinan Ryu; Tae Kwon Do; Tokyo-Ryu; Shorin Ryu

Just a few more to add to the discussion... :ultracool

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henry Look mentioned at his seminar this weekend that Craig T. Nelson and his wife study Tai Chi and/or Chi Gong from him.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recently read on Joe Rogan's website that he has trained in Taekwondo, kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I don't know exactly what his rank is if any.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Didn't he co-author a BJJ book? Maybe Eddie Bravo's?
Here is what I read on amazon.com

Book Description
An introduction to jiu-jitsu from one of its most dominant stars Thanks to the dominance of its practitioners at Ultimate Fighting Championships and other mixed martial arts tournaments, jiu-jitsu has become one of the most popular forms of martial arts in the United States. This fighting technique features ground fighting and submission moves that bewilder even the most ferocious opponents. In Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed , expert Eddie Bravo teaches you the moves that he used to defeat legendary Royler Gracie--a member of the reigning family of jiujitsu--the victory that made him one of the sport's most feared competitors. Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed features: Detailed instruction on stance, kicks, punches, takedowns, and submissions Step-by-step photos of basic and advanced moves modeled by "Fear Factor" host and former "NewsRadio" star Joe Rogan Various theories and strategies behind training and competing

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
very interesting thread and informative. Good research

I thought Bolo Yeung was Kung Fu?
Some even say tae kwon do but I doubt that

Latest Discussions