Movie Star Martial Artist, what Style and Rank are they?

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who else are we forgetting?

We have a pretty long list already, I have to go back and lsit them all.
Thank you guys for all the information you have shared so far.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
Okay you guys are obviously younger than those of us who have been around for a while. Elvis Presley - yep the King - studied directly with SGM Edmund Parker.

He tested for and achieved an actual rank of 6th degree Black Belt in American Kenpo. He attained 8th degree Black Belt as "entitled or honorary" I believe.

But he tested for and ranked either 5th or 6th degree black.

No, not an MA hero but an actor/performer who trained extensively and achieved rank that was not meant to advance an "action" career... That being said, apparently it didn't help him stay in shape or alive.

Hawkeye
Here's a photo to go with that info! :)

Attachments

• $elvis_05.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 363

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
If you had any idea about how many martial artists of note used drugs, drank too heavily, smoked (Bruce Lee died of an alergic reaction to Marijuana), you'd be amazed. One doesn't necessarily have to do with the other.
What? Bruce Lee died of an alergice reaction to Marijuana lolololol, that is the best one yet!!! Sorry mate I dont mean to offend you!

kind regards

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
What? Bruce Lee died of an alergice reaction to Marijuana lolololol, that is the best one yet!!! Sorry mate I dont mean to offend you!

kind regards
No offense taken. But it wasn't my theory. It's what I had heard. Here's a quote from a Bruce Lee page:

"With Enter the Dragon in post-production he decided to wait for its release and gauge its performance before returning to America and making his next career move. In the meantime, work began again on Game of Death, this time, the concept receiving some much needed attention. May 10th 1973 saw Lee’s first serious collapse while dubbing Enter the Dragon at Golden Harvest studios. This brush with death was initially attributed to heat exhaustion and the strain he had been putting himself under. Once in hospital, neurosurgeons determined that there was something wrong with his brain. Doctor’s Langford and Wu surmised that he had suffered Cerebral Oedema, a swelling of fluid on the brain, the very condition that would later kill him. Having received treatment, Lee regained consciousness admitting that he had taken cannabis leaf prior to the collapse prompting speculation of an allergy to the drug. A week later, once well enough, he returned to America and had a complete check-up in Los Angeles. He was given a clean bill of health and the episode he suffered was diagnosed as Grand mal-idiopathic, "a convulsion due to no known primary cause". He was prescribed medication for the condition and returned to Hong Kong once more to continue work and casting on Game of Death. "

Since I posted this, I have been corrected as to the actual cause of his brain sweling etc.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Christian Bale (The New Batman)
have any formal training in Martial Arts?
He was great in the move Equilibrium.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
5th Dan in the Gun Kata!

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
didnt he use axe-fu in american psycho?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
p.s. Not really a "movie star"... but Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy from the show Married, with Children) is a long time Gracie JJ practioner (brown belt I believe?)
My instrcutor told me he got his black belt. also, katherine zita jones is a purple belt i believe in BJJ, and mickey rourke as well.

BTW, wesley snipes is not a 5th degree BB in capoeira. it takes about 25 years to get to your black rope in capoeira. I think he may be a blue rope (black belt equivelant)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what rank Bill Wallace obtained? His site says karate but no ranking. Did he ever study Taekwondo? Someone I know said he tested for 5th Taekwondo under Wallace and I find that a little hinky.

To keep on thread though at Wallace's site www.superfoot.com, it does list his movie credits...

"His credits include : A Force of One with Chuck Norris; Kill Point, with Cameron Mitchell; Continental Divide and Neighbors, with John Belushi, whom he acted as trainer and bodyguard; Protector, with Jackie Chan; A Prayer for the Dying,with Mickey Rourke; Ninja Turf; and A sword of Heaven."

TW

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Does anyone know what rank Bill Wallace obtained? His site says karate but no ranking. Did he ever study Taekwondo? Someone I know said he tested for 5th Taekwondo under Wallace and I find that a little hinky.

To keep on thread though at Wallace's site www.superfoot.com, it does list his movie credits...

"His credits include : A Force of One with Chuck Norris; Kill Point, with Cameron Mitchell; Continental Divide and Neighbors, with John Belushi, whom he acted as trainer and bodyguard; Protector, with Jackie Chan; A Prayer for the Dying,with Mickey Rourke; Ninja Turf; and A sword of Heaven."

TW
Bill wallace I think was a Shorin Ryu Shodan. He really does'nt believe in Kata or Traditional karate, just kickboxing. He has not ever claimed rank in TKD (I believe)

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
isnt that guy that played darth maul a 5th don in something?

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The new Batman movie was pretty good. Christian Bale did a good job and the supporting cast wast top notch. Still, does anyone know if Christian Bale have formal marial arts training?

B

BaiKaiGuy

Dragon Fist said:
The new Batman movie was pretty good. Christian Bale did a good job and the supporting cast wast top notch. Still, does anyone know if Christian Bale have formal marial arts training?
This was answered earlier in the thread. He studied some Judo for Equilibrium if the post was correct, dabbled in MA for American Psycho, and did Keysi Fighting Method, IIRC, for Batman Begins.

Others that haven't been mentioned (or just mentioned in passing):

Cynthia Rothrock: Tang Soo Do (Korean), Tae Kwon Do (Korean), Eagle Claw (Chinese), Wu Shu (contemporary Chinese), and Northern Shaolin (classical Chinese). (Although as a note, having studied KF in the Poconos briefly, there is some question about the validity of one of these)

Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang are both ballerinas. Neither holds any formal ranking in MA.

Will Yun Lee (of Witchblade and Elektra) is an MAer-turned actor. TKD, I think, that's what his dad taught.

Robin Shou of MK and MK II has studied and competed.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually met Ray Park at the Star Wars Celebration III and he said Northern Shaolin Kung Fu. I think he also said that he trained in a Pacific island country, but I forget which one, although reading his profile earlier, it could have been Malaysia...sorry, I was more interested in what he trained in than where he trained. Oh well, maybe when the Star Wars TV show comes out, I can meet him again.

What about Adrian Paul from the Highlander TV show?

Latest Discussions