Movie Star Martial Artist, what Style and Rank are they?

T

TonyM.

Aftter reading the news today, I'm pretty sure Russel Crowe practices psyco chuan.

Digger70chall

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
There is one aspect of American-produced martial arts films I prefer: the emphasis on realism. We don't do wire work (which I hate), and we don't do long drawn out fight scenes to show the beauty of the performers. We tend to keep it direct and simple.
That doesn't mean I want to watch 2 hours of reverse punches and knee kicks. I do want nice technique. Good jumping, spinning, and flying kicks (done realistically) are a plus. But I also hate those looooonnngggg, drawn out Hong Kong fight scenes that should've ended 2 minutes ago. And spare me the cheesy sound effects and bad makeup jobs.
hehe you just listed everything i love in asian martial arts movies :)
i like them for the artistry and story, even if they are unrealistic fights.

H

Hawkeye

Okay you guys are obviously younger than those of us who have been around for a while. Elvis Presley - yep the King - studied directly with SGM Edmund Parker.

He tested for and achieved an actual rank of 6th degree Black Belt in American Kenpo. He attained 8th degree Black Belt as "entitled or honorary" I believe.

But he tested for and ranked either 5th or 6th degree black.

No, not an MA hero but an actor/performer who trained extensively and achieved rank that was not meant to advance an "action" career... That being said, apparently it didn't help him stay in shape or alive.

Hawkeye

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
He tested for and achieved an actual rank of 6th degree Black Belt in American Kenpo. He attained 8th degree Black Belt as "entitled or honorary" I believe.
"Honorary" isn't anywhere on the certificate.

J

JKD_Silat

loki09789 said:
His root/base is more in kickboxing/TKD/Hapkido arts...the Caporiea stuff came later and, honestly, seems to have been an attempt to bring in his Afro/cultural heritage into his action scenes to increase interest in a Black action hero for a Black audience. I think it is a good motive considering what he is doing with his marital arts. Anyone remember his martial arts special on FOX a while ago? Majority of featured artists were either black/asian and/or ...working to use martial arts to improve the character/quality of peoples lives....

Snipes has a good goal for how he uses/promotes his art image.
I particularlly enjoyed his film "Art of War"...

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, it seems to me that if Elvis had been truly serious about practicing, he would have been more careful about what he put into his body. Let's face it, the guy was a drug addict with a lousy diet. He didn't die at age 44 by accident.
You'd think Ed Parker would have told him to be more careful. What's Elvis going to do-fire him?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
You know, it seems to me that if Elvis had been truly serious about practicing, he would have been more careful about what he put into his body. Let's face it, the guy was a drug addict with a lousy diet. He didn't die at age 44 by accident.
You'd think Ed Parker would have told him to be more careful. What's Elvis going to do-fire him?
If you had any idea about how many martial artists of note used drugs, drank too heavily, smoked (Bruce Lee died of an alergic reaction to Marijuana), you'd be amazed. One doesn't necessarily have to do with the other.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
There is one aspect of American-produced martial arts films I prefer: the emphasis on realism. We don't do wire work (which I hate), and we don't do long drawn out fight scenes to show the beauty of the performers. We tend to keep it direct and simple.
That doesn't mean I want to watch 2 hours of reverse punches and knee kicks. I do want nice technique. Good jumping, spinning, and flying kicks (done realistically) are a plus. But I also hate those looooonnngggg, drawn out Hong Kong fight scenes that should've ended 2 minutes ago. And spare me the cheesy sound effects and bad makeup jobs.

Puleese!! :idunno:

You're joking right?? :rofl:

The scenes are just as long, but instead of wire work, we get rapid healing from life threatening injuries. In one, I even saw the old catch the punch and twist around pulling down to break the elbow across then shoulder. Then the bad guy, with the broken arm, the SFX showed the arm hyper extend to at least 90 degrees, pulled his arm back up against the break and did some more damage to our hero, before getting dead. :bs:

--Dave :asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Danjo said:
If you had any idea about how many martial artists of note used drugs, drank too heavily, smoked (Bruce Lee died of an alergic reaction to Marijuana), you'd be amazed. One doesn't necessarily have to do with the other.

Actually, it was an allergic reaction to analgesic. It's a rare but not unheard of condition. He's not the first and definately not the last to die this way.

--Dave

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
Actually, it was an allergic reaction to analgesic. It's a rare but not unheard of condition. He's not the first and definately not the last to die this way.

--Dave
Depends on your source. Cannabis was found in his stomach in any case. Either way, what I said is still true. I don't think that many would say Bruce Lee was not a martial artist who was serious about his art. How well one takes care of their health doesn't necessarily have a direct correlation to one's seriousness as a martial artist. Not to mention all of the massively overweight martial artists out there. Ed Parker wasn't exactly thin and died at the age of 59.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From the TLC show "Faking It" apparently Cynthia Rothrock owns a United Studios (USSD) school in LA... that's Shaoln Kempo. And they have a custom bus like a rock stars too :)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the money's right she'll promote damm near anything!!!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
From the TLC show "Faking It" apparently Cynthia Rothrock owns a United Studios (USSD) school in LA... that's Shaoln Kempo. And they have a custom bus like a rock stars too :)
Yes she got on board with Charlie Mattera last year. I've been in that bus you mentioned. It was the two brown belts that were driving it at the time that caused a stink when they came to our old dojo to spar and got their behinds kicked pretty good. They complained loudly and our dojo eventually was closed. Pretty bus though. Lots of bells and whistles at the good ol' USSD.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We almost forgot about David Carradine, I heard that he started studing after he was cast in Kung Fu the series. Does anybody know what art he practices?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Is that all?
No. Carradine also has studied, at various times, Tai Shan 9 Palms Praying Mantis, Chen and Wang Style Tai Chi, kick boxing, Yee Chuan Tao Kung Fu, trained with Sonny Chiba in use of the Samuri Sword etc. etc. In other words, he's dabbled in many things over the years according to his website and books. His teachers have been/are Kam Yuen, Rob Moses, Mike Vendrell etc.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
And yet he is still horrible
He's a good actor though. I started taking Karate back in the 70's due to his show, so.....I'm a bit partial towards him. :)

Latest Discussions