Movie Star Martial Artist, what Style and Rank are they?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Robert Conrad studied Issin Ryu. About 10 years ago Karate Illustrated did a profile piece on Mr. Conrad, IMHO looked all ne remebered was the goofy stance and yell part.James Caan is a Black belt under Tak Kubota

Todd

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mark Dacascos holds belts in a few systems I believe including Capoeira.

Ernie Reyes Jr holds belts in TKD and Muay Thai I think also.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danjo said:
William Shatner- Supreme Grand Master of Kirk-Fu. Seriously though, he did study karate for a long time, though I don't know what it was. Same with Robert Conrad, and Robert Culp.
Not sure about William Shatner. Robert Conrad studied Kajukenbo with John Leoning. Robert Culp studied Kenpo with Ed Parker.
James Caan trained in Gosuku-Ryu Karate with Tak Kobota. Caan is the only one who obtained black belt.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
phlaw said:
Mark Dacascos holds belts in a few systems I believe including Capoeira.

Ernie Reyes Jr holds belts in TKD and Muay Thai I think also.
Mark's primary system is Kajukenbo (Won Hop Kuen Do branch). Last I heard he was 3rd degree. Capoeira was something he picked up for the movies, from the Oakland, Ca. Kajukenbo guys.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Capoeira has a system of "belt rankings" called "cordao" - usually they follow the colors in the Brazilian flag.

Muay Thai does not have a belt ranking system (unless you count the big shiny one you get by fighting & winning in the ring!)

Saying that Bruce Lee studied UNDER Jhoon Rhee is a bit of an overstatement... perhaps the words "with" or "together" would be more accurate?
Also, he was already accomplished in kicks from training with various other Kung Fu practitioners (such as Crane style and Praying Mantis as well as others...). To say most of his kicks are from TKD is far off the mark.

see ya
Rob

p.s. Not really a "movie star"... but Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy from the show Married, with Children) is a long time Gracie JJ practioner (brown belt I believe?)

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ricky Nelson had a black belt from Bruce Tegner. Robert Downey Junior is currently studying Wing Chun. I tested for Green Belt next to Christian Slater in Shaolin Kempo. John Saxon has a belt in something, but I can't remember what exactly. Same with Bob Barker.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Mark's primary system is Kajukenbo (Won Hop Kuen Do branch)
HI John,
Marc studied Won Hop Kuen Do from his father Al Dacascos, correct?
Do you know if Al Dacascos studied Kajukenbo under Sid Asuncion or Professor Adriano Emperado or both?

Thanks,

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
HI John,
Marc studied Won Hop Kuen Do from his father Al Dacascos, correct?
Do you know if Al Dacascos studied Kajukenbo under Sid Asuncion or Professor Adriano Emperado or both?

Thanks,
Yes, from his Father GM Al, and also his mother Malia (formerly Dacascos) Bernal.
GM Al studied Kajukenbo up to black belt with the late Sidro Asuncion. He later trained with Sijo Emperado.

L

Littledragon

Steven Seagal:
7th Dan Black Belt (Aiki-kai Aikido)
1st Dan Black Belt (Shito-Ryu Karate, under Fumio Demura)
1st Dan Black Belt (Judo)
1st Dan Black Belt (Kenjitsu)
Studied Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under the Macahdos.

R

rmcrobertson

"Brotherhood of the Wolf," rocked the casbah.

Always remember that Gene le Bell choked out pretty much all these guys....and, he was in "Army of Darkness."

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The burning side step kick of Bruce's... I have never heard of being TKD, although Bruce took from any art/concept he could, and modified it for better real world applicability. Chuck Norris was heavily influenced by Bruce..in creating his own style of fighting.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
quote from chuck norris' book "the secret power within"

"i learned various kung fu techniques from him, and i taught him high kicks, meaning kicks above the waist. the only formal training he'd had was under yip man, in hong kong, who'd taught him wing chun, a form of chinese boxing that emphasized hand rather than foot techniques -- most kicks were quick and delivered low, to the opponents shin or knee. it didnt take long for me to convince bruce that kicks could be effectively delivered to any area of the body, and he taught me many of the techniques of wing chun"

shawn

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is part of the the original list again.

Chuck Norris –
6th Degree Black Belt in Tang So Doo

8th Degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system
Founder of Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way").
Also practiced Judo, Shito-Ryu Karate, and Brazilian Jujutsu

Jean-Claude Van Damme –
1st Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate

Jeff Speakman –
6th degree black belt in American Kenpo Karate
7th degree black belt in Goju-ryu Karate

Steven Seagal –
7th Dan in Aikido

Wesley Snipes –
5th Degree Black Belt in Capoeira

Dolph Lungren –
2nd Degree Black Belt in Karate (I don’t know what kind of Karate)

Jet Li –
Shaolin Wushu
Tai Chi

Jackie Chan –
ChinaDramaAcademy

Bruce Lee –
Wing Chun
Jeet Kune Do
Jun Fan Gung Fu

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AC_Pilot said:
The burning side step kick of Bruce's... I have never heard of being TKD, although Bruce took from any art/concept he could, and modified it for better real world applicability. Chuck Norris was heavily influenced by Bruce..in creating his own style of fighting.
The sliding side kick was a Chung Do Kwan technique before Bruce ever appeared on the screen. My Instructor told us stories of his Instructor, Woon Kyu Uhm, contacting people with it from 10 feet away. Additionally, I have footage of Korean Army officers from what appears to be the 60's or earlier breaking boards with it. So it is a Tae Kwon Do technique, and was before Bruce had ever heard of it.
We don't all worship Bruce Lee.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"We don't all worship Bruce Lee"

Amen to that
Todd

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dose anyone know if Christian Bale (the lead in the movie Equilibrium) is a martial artist? Or did he just study a couple of weeks to prepare for the movie?

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dose anyone know if Christian Bale (the lead in the movie Equilibrium) is a martial artist? Or did he just study a couple of weeks to prepare for the movie?

K

Knifehand

Dragon Fist said:
I think he just went through some training, but i could be mistaken... I'm looking into it right now and so far unsuccessful.

Latest Discussions