Mouthguards

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you use them? We do - but for years we've used the Everlast double guard (I find it easier to breathe through the center hole than when I wear a single guard), and I had trouble getting the last one to soften properly and thus fit right, so I'm going to get a new one. I've heard good things about the Shock Doctor mouthguards - I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, or other mouthguards - which one you use, why you like it, and where you get it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate them. I don't use them even when it's required. I know I should...it's hard to breathe, though!

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate them. I don't use them even when it's required. I know I should...it's hard to breathe, though!

Yeah, well.... when your dentist can - and has - beaten the crap out of you (he's an awesome fighter, also under my sahbum) it has an amazing effect on your dental hygiene and prevention methods!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like shock doctor. It does better than most other mouth guards in giving a very good and comfortable fit. My sons, who also play football (in addition to kenpo and a plethora of other sports), likes the shock doctor mouth guards too.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I use just the standard single mouth guard. A mouth guards main job is to keep you from losing teeth when you get punched or kicked hard in the face. Around 1971 I was sparring at Ft. Bragg, NC when one of my peers caught me with a spinning back kick to the left side of my jaw. It dislocated my jaw on the left side and broke the right side before shoving it up wards. Had my jaw wired together for about 6 weeks but I didn't even get a chipped tooth out of it. BTW, I did step into the kick. There are a lot of fancy and expensive mouth guards out there but they still do the same job. Find one, wear one, and let others get their teeth broken.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wore braces for four years....and a lot of money has been put into my teeth...I will adapt to the breathing issues...or find me some good mouth protection...

On the other hand...I NEVER wear a groin up...due to the fact that if I am not covering...I am not doing my job and if I am covering...the groin is safe...

Only time I will wear a cup is at tournaments cause its required

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mouthpiece is also an important tool to prevent concussion. I personally dislike the double styles; I just use inexpensive singe mouthgards. (I can usually get them for around a buck each via wholesale pricing.) Shockdoctor seems to have a solid rep, and they do, from what I've seen, mold easier and more precisely.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I use one, it's the Everlast Double. Last Sunday as I was checking to see if I still had all my teeth after a solid knee to the mouth, I wish I had been wearing it. Fortunately, I still had my teeth, although my bottom lip got tore up some against my teeth. I was also concerned about a concussion, because I've gotten one before.

I am considering Shock Doctor the next time I buy a mouthguard.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use just the standard single mouth guard. A mouth guards main job is to keep you from losing teeth when you get punched or kicked hard in the face.

I use one of those also especially if there will be alot of punching and kicking ..The "cheaper" one work just as well as the more expensive models...

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I go for the shock doctor double guards (LoPro and ProPlus) they're comfy, I can breath easily, they protect my teeth and brain. BrainPad is a good brand too. But the reason I get the slightly more expensive shock doctor is because of the dental insurance it comes with. If something does go wrong and my teeth do get broken, I don't want to have to PAY for them to be fixed!

Speaking of groin protectors, Shock doctor makes one aswell, and it's the most comfortable one I've ever had. You can learn to protect your groin just fine without having to face the repercussions (up to and including DEATH) while you're training.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But the reason I get the slightly more expensive shock doctor is because of the dental insurance it comes with. If something does go wrong and my teeth do get broken, I don't want to have to PAY for them to be fixed!

I had a friend who got his teeth broken (it was a hard knee strike) while wearing shock doctor, and indeed, true to the claims of the shock doctor company, they made good on their dental coverage to get his teeth fixed.

- Ceicei

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shock Doctor makes several different styles and types. Pick the one that suits you best. If you're doing some good hard sparring I'd say they are a must. Not only will they save your teeth and help to keep your jaw from being damaged as much, they assist with avoiding a knockout. The pliable nature and engineering of a good mouthguard properly applied helps the head handle blunt force trauma all-around.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whenever there are students with Braces in the class and they want to sparr, I have them get the Shock Docter mouth guards that are made specificlly for people with Braces...and from what I hear, it seems like they work wonders

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shockdoctor and Everlast. Whichever I can get more reasonably priced.

While no mouthguard will prevent your lips from getting shredded after taking a shot to the mouth, at least these help reduce the damage done there, as well as protecting your teeth, and reducing the chances of a concussion.

The important thing, though is to follow the old internet adage of RTFM (read the friendly manual). An improperly fitted mouthguard won't be of much help when it comes to protection.

Also, remember to remove the center plug after you're done fitting it. :)

Latest Discussions