Hicks Law??

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was doing some thinking today about response time in threatening situations. How do you cope, how do you respond, how do you react, and how much time it takes before you commit to a tactic or technique.These were just a few of the millions of questions I had running thru my brain this morning. Then I remember reading some stuff on response time and hicks law. here were some things I came across any input would be greatly appreciated

Variables to take into consideration in a self defense situation
*Increased adrenalin and heart rate
*Increased Respirations
*pupil dilation
* sense of time and space distorted
( I know I'm missing a lot more feel free to add)
Which in return affect your performance in some of the following ways
* Loss of complex motor skills, Tunnel vision, Hearing may become impaired,loss of depth perception, and either an increase or decrease in reaction and response time.
We all know reaction time increases significantly when you must decide which response or technique is most important for that particular threat.
and some say it takes 58% more time to pick between two choices but only takes a second to choose a tactic. I was just wondering what everyones thought on the subject matter was.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok where can I find something on Hick's Law. Sounds like it covers reacting from a clinical view. Might be a good read????

Reaction time depends on so many varibles it would take a week just to go through say one situation and find all of them. Even if the situation was just the exchange of words after two people bumped into each other.

I think being aware of what is going on around you is the key to reaction. If you can see, hear or feel somthing coming you are a head of the game. All the other parts of reacting can be changed by training. Also there is something people are born with in their wiring which makes them able to react faster or slower.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What a great idea - approaching a commonly discussed MA topic from a physilogical angle. Would love to read any references people have for this.

The front of the brain, the frontal lobes (original name hey), are used for logical thinking (feel free to correct me on this but it is my basic understanding).

The rear part of the brain (don't remember the name) is responsible for instinctive behaviour.

The purpose of training and training and then training some more is to move your MA from the thinking brain to the instrinctive brain.
This way you dramatically increase your reaction time to a situation.

As i said, may not be technically correct but it is my basic understanding.

OP
C

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
The purpose of training and training and then training some more is to move your MA from the thinking brain to the instrinctive brain.
This way you dramatically increase your reaction time to a situation.

I agree. I did take that much into consideration lol.:jediduel:

OP
C

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now I'm starting to think the bigger question is what would be the difference between a tactic and a technique??

Latest Discussions