More "Fun With Numbers" (U.S. TKD Demographics)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that's the real downside of styles that are completely niche (like my friend's school down in Georgia) -- I think it'd be very difficult to compete in tournaments.

When taekwondoins compete in a USKA tournament, how does that work? Do they have to practice karate-style sparring in their dojangs in order to prepare? How are forms judged, when everybody's drawing from a completely different pool of forms?

I’m not sure since we have only been to open style karate tournaments.

Sparring is basically any strike using the hands or feet having solid technique that strikes the head, torso, or groin is scored by the majority of the judges is awarded 1 point.

Judges call break upon seeing any strike that scores.

Bout is 2 minutes or 5 points.

My understanding is:

Forms are judged on how well each individual technique is performed (power and speed), how fluid the transition from technique to technique is, and the solidness of the stances.

Here is the actual rule book:

http://www.uskaratealliance.com/download/2013_Rulebook_2.pdf

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We would be interested in going to an ITF tourney but have never come across any.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m not sure since we have only been to open style karate tournaments.

Sparring is basically any strike using the hands or feet having solid technique that strikes the head, torso, or groin is scored by the majority of the judges is awarded 1 point.

Judges call break upon seeing any strike that scores.

Bout is 2 minutes or 5 points.

My understanding is:

Forms are judged on how well each individual technique is performed (power and speed), how fluid the transition from technique to technique is, and the solidness of the stances.

Here is the actual rule book:

http://www.uskaratealliance.com/download/2013_Rulebook_2.pdf

It was so nice to read that the groin is a legal target again. Always used to be in the 70's, then in the kinder, gentler 80s groin contact was no longer allowed. My problem with that was we were all high level, advanced kickers. And if you're a kicker, you damn well better be able to defend your groin area - every single time you kicked.

Once it was outlawed I saw some real silly stuff going on. Like that "hold up your front leg and do this little hop, hop, hop across the fight area chasing your opponent." Normally, you'd just groin shot them, or do an iron broom and send them butt over tea kettle. But when groin was outlawed we were forced to do something else. So if we didn't iron broom, we would just rush, jam, and throw them out of the ring.
We got yelled at a lot.

So nice to see the groin as a target again. I think it makes for better fighters, at least in sport Karate, and it makes for better kickers, too.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every other day I see somebody posting photos of their custom Century gis with, like, "Master Smith's US Christian Taekwon-Kenpo Federation" printed on them over a logo of a tiger punching a snake in front of a pyramid being hit by lightning or whatever. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hahahaha ah I see that so often, but that pic style would top them all XD, that's hilarious...

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have come to the analysis conclusion that @TrueJim has wayyyy to much time on his hands.

I'm an IT guy by day, a living weapon only in my spare time. ;) But I do start a new day-job next week so I might not have as much time for random musings in the near future. :arghh:

It's really running the taekwondo wiki though that's got me interested in trying to understand the demographics of this art, at least in the U.S. Every morning over my first cup of coffee I check-in to see what people are reading. Yesterday the most accessed articles were:
  • Taekwondo Weapons Training
  • Taekwondo Forms
  • Taekwondo Vocabulary
  • List of U.S. Tournaments in 2018
  • Dan-Gun

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions